By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's PlayStation 3 Wins Market Share From Wii, Xbox in U.S???

of the 3 consoles sold last month and the month before

october 12% of the consoles sold were sony's ps3

november 21% of the consoles sold were sony's ps3

for the same months "marketshare"

wii was 52%, 360 36% in october
in november wii was 44% 360 was 35%

truth of the matter...

ps3 was outsold by a SIGNIFICANT margin.. it is just prspeak to say that they "gained marketshare". they did--for THAT -and only THAT month.. in the overall TOTAL of consoles SOLD, they LOST marketshare.

Around the Network
krik said:
Darc Requiem said:
I don't think the PS3 will catch the 360 in the U.S. before this generation is over. The Wii has been crushing the 360 for quite some time and it still hasn't caught the 360 in cumulative sales in the U.S. The PS3 continues to fall further and further behind. Even if it manages to start out selling the 360 on a monthly basis in the U.S. it will be very difficult or them overcome the 360's growing lead.

Please define "generation is over". Are you thinking of 7+ years or a 4 years Xbox generation? If it's 4 years you might be right but then again, this only means the 360 is already over 50% of it's generation and will sell about 30M before the 360 is abruptly replaced be the 720. And if you talking about 7+ years, then I think only the PS3 has some legs to last that long.

When the Uus, X-box 720, and PS4 launch around 2012 the PS3 will still be losing to the 360 in the US. Simple enough for you?

@Darc Requiem

lol.....LOL!!!!!!!

The issue happens once the holidays are over - and 360/PS3 sales return to normal. The Wii jumps back to a 60/70% market share, and may stay there until Xmas '08 begins. And so it happens every year now...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
The issue happens once the holidays are over - and 360/PS3 sales return to normal. The Wii jumps back to a 60/70% market share, and may stay there until Xmas '08 begins. And so it happens every year now...

I would say that in January 70% marketshare is (almost) ensured for Nintendo ... Nintendo will (likely) continue selling 1.5 to 1.8 Million units worldwide that month (partially because people are buying their 'Christmas' presents) and the XBox 360 and PS3 will fall to 300,000 to 500,000 units.

Around the Network

Alot of PS3's are being bought just to play Blu ray movies. Sony have hurt themselves with this. Look at the software sales. Games are not selling well on PS3 at all.

I think the idea of shifting consoles toward "Media Centers" is just a bad idea in general.

In my opinion a PC is much more suited for the job (especially running Linux (even though I don't (but then I am not a huge media person))) and pretty much every one has a PC.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

it only gained in percentage but the gap in consoles sold gets bigger

Well even if Sony is gaining market share it doesn’t threaten 360 and Wii simply because all three companies are in a growing market. Take a look at the big N in the handheld business. The DS will definitely have less market share than GBA simply because more competition has entered the market. However DS sales will surpass GBA by tens of millions.

I crunched the numbers and this is how it stands

October End Total Market Share: (US)
Nintendo:35%
Sony: 14%

November End Total Market Share: (US)
Nintendo:37%
Sony:14%

So as you can see, the Spin is horrible...

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X