By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's PlayStation 3 Wins Market Share From Wii, Xbox in U.S???

How they realize that this was ONLY because the Wii is in short supply, come the regular months it is gonna be slow for PS3 again.. I don't know if it will ever be as slow as it was again, but it will be slow

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
shams said:
The issue happens once the holidays are over - and 360/PS3 sales return to normal. The Wii jumps back to a 60/70% market share, and may stay there until Xmas '08 begins. And so it happens every year now...

I would say that in January 70% marketshare is (almost) ensured for Nintendo ... Nintendo will (likely) continue selling 1.5 to 1.8 Million units worldwide that month (partially because people are buying their 'Christmas' presents) and the XBox 360 and PS3 will fall to 300,000 to 500,000 units.

exactly, post holiday's will give nintendo back their market share.  I wonder what kind of PR spin sony/microsoft will try to pull out then.

We need to think about this logically. It's little wonder that PS3 sales increased more as a percentage than Wii sales. I don't think there are enough Wii's in the world to increase sales in the US by 200%. On the other hand, given the weaker PS3 sales, an increase of 200% is actually possible.

the funny thing is..the month to month INCREASE of the Wii (oct to nov)was Basically the TOTAL that ps3 sold this month(US npd data)...

oct 519,000
november 981,000

difference 462,000

ps3 this month 466,000
oct ps3 127,000

@selnor

are they REALLY NOT selling games though

COD4, AC almost at 1 million within a month....

Uncharted almost at 450 - 500K

Don't kid yourself, games are selling but at a lower rate due to userbase...

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
@selnor

are they REALLY NOT selling games though

COD4, AC almost at 1 million within a month....

Don't kid yourself, games are selling but at a lower rate due to userbase...

If the best selling games are non-exclusives, the 360 will win that battle. 

According to NPD numbers, Uncharted has sold about 117,000 copies in November, and both COD4 and AC are both significantly lower. The Xbox 360 versions of these games sold 1.5 million and .98 million respectively in November.

This is standard PR for most companies. Microsoft will announce to everyone that the Zune "doubled market share at the expense of the IPod." When you look at the numbers, Zune goes from 1% to 2% and the IPod goes from 75% to 74% of the market. The original statement is 100% true, although a slight bit misleading.

This is natural as numbers get higher. For example, let's say Sony sells were 50,000 per week. To sell double 360 or Wii only have to sell 100,000. But now we are talking about Sony sales of 160,000 per week. to double 360 and Wii have to do 320,000. In the case of the Wii they are exceeding supply to get there so they simply can't reach it. In the case of 360 they are running out of certain models (Elite was hard to find for a few weeks), and to sell 160,000 more is a lot different then only having to sell 50,000 more. Market share differences are a creative way of looking at it.

But, the actual console gap, (# of consoles sold) against each other is increasing... 360 was ahead of PS3 by 50,000 a week for a while. Now it is 90,000. So, the number # of actual consoles in the gap between them is getting larger, not smaller as perceived by showing it as market share changes. Getting a bigger piece of the pie doesn't help, they have to exceed the gap before they truely start to gain ground.

so basically ps3 is getting trounced. i almost feel bad for the sony people who's job it is to spin their horrible numbers. cuz anything they say still just obviously shows how horrible the system is selling yet they have to pretend like its doing well. but then i remember it is sony and they shot themselves in the foot with the worst idea ever from a mainstream console maker (alright alright second worst, virtual boy wins).

also ps3 will never come close to 360 in america and the only reason it might catch up to 360 worldwide is cuz japan doesn't exist for microsoft and the ps3 might, yes it MIGHT, eventually beat out the 360 in eurupe. and no just because sony said ps3 will last ten years doesn't mean it will, that only happens when you have a system that destroys everybody else. the ps3 will die off as soon as the hopefully much better thought out and designed ps4 comes out. 360 won't last beyond the launch of the next xbox for the same reason. wii might continue to sell for a year or two after the next ninty system.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy