By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yahoo: So yeah Pokemon was totally a fad

I think someone needs crash course in product life cycle and what symbolizes a fad. If a product is still raking in huge amount of money in the current stage such as Lego and Pokemon, than I wouldn't call them a fad. 

Around the Network

That brought back some memories, I wish I still had my old stuff. I think I still have my Furby hidden away somewhere in a box. I can say Pokemon was a fad in the sense of the card game, but not in a sense of the entirety of the brand.

I've always thought of a fad as something that becomes super popular and then crash and burns after a couple of years.

Seeing Barbie, Lego and Pokémon on that list really puzzles me...those have been popular for quite some time, even decades. What fad stays popular for decades!?

Also on this list: Barbie and Legos

Yup those are fads right there.

SuperAdrianK said:

The people who started this "Pet rock" business made quite some cash, from where I heard.

Basically they knew from the get go that it was a fad, and planned their business strategy around that; they didn't over invest in it or get stuck with a huge pile of inventory (common mistakes for makers of fad products), and so they made a small fortune.

Around the Network

Next gen, the Wii will be added to this list.  Even though it'll pass the PS and probably even the PS2.  I do wonder how they'll explain that aspect.

What no Trolls? Bad list@

Bad list pokemon wasn't a fad its just not as massive as it used to be...

Pokemon will be special to me forever..

this "fad" singlehandedly saved nintendo

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:

this "fad" singlehandedly saved nintendo

How did it saved Nintendo?

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909