By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox360, Wii, PS3, and software

Here is Microsofts take of Septembers NPD

Xbox 360 software revenue at retail outsold PS3’s software portfolio 8:1 and Wii’s 4:1, selling 3 times more than both platforms combined.

o For the month of September according to NPD, Xbox 360 software represented 74 percent of total software sales for the next generation market compared to 17 percent for Wii and 9 percent for PS3. Even without the sales of “Halo 3” the Xbox 360 portfolio outsold the PS3 portfolio 2:1.

Now, is this fair for a logical argument of software attachrates? Thier claiming that their software was 4 times higher than the Wii and 8 times higher than the PS3. Sure, its fair game, right? But its not fair for a logical argument. Mario Galaxy is the biggest Wii game for sales that it will possibly ever get. Some may say Brawl, and it may but thats not the point. Its the elite game of the Wii. Im saying, an analysis of October to November is skewed in favor of the Wii more than normal

Around the Network
eugene said:
Let me restate your original post Bod of what I believe your saying in a nutshell

"Look at October, Look at how good Microsoft thinks they did in software, but now look at November and see how Microsoft can not make the same claim of software superiority because the Wii did so well in selling software." (in a nutshell , meaning its not a quote)

Im not saying its "not fair game" cause of Mario. Is that fair for a logical arguement of software attach rates ? Probably not. Its like comparing August software sales with September. Its skewed because September was skewed in favor of Xbox obviously. And Halo 3 lost 80% of its sales in October. It was not a diffrenciator.

Thats not what he is saying at all is the problem. He is saying "Look at October and how well the Xbox 360 did compared to the Wii while accounting for market share." He isn't comparing October vs November software sales. He is comparing October market share versus October sales and November market share versus November sales. His arguement could be made without using November at all. Is this making sense to you?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I know, he's strictly speaking of attach rates, and Im saying a huge game distorts numbers so that One month of attach rates compared to another is not reasonable. A year over year is more reasonable. One huge game in a month will distort the entire month. Even GT 5 in January will make the PS3 look huge in comparison to December. You would need a bigger picture for a more clear representation like year over year. So comparison of October to November is unscientific and distorted. As any week over week or month over month would be. A generally bigger picture is needed for a logical argument.

eugene said:
I know, he's strictly speaking of attach rates, and Im saying a huge game distorts numbers so that One month of attach rates compared to another is not reasonable. A year over year is more reasonable. One huge game in a month will distort the entire month. Even GT 5 in January will make the PS3 look huge in comparison to December. You would need a bigger picture for a more clear representation like year over year. So comparison of October to November is unscientific and distorted. As any week over week or month over month would be. A generally bigger picture is needed for a logical argument.

You are either not reading or not understanding, Eugene. I am not comparing October to November.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Your saying the 360 marketshare for software went from 54% in October to about 45% in November, and Im saying its skewed cause November favored the Wii for extra software marketshare. And Im saying any month over month analysis is skewed cause one big game will distort the entire month

Around the Network

Don't worry about it Eugene, in a while you won't need to worry about attach rates. When 360 is in a distant 3rd 3 years from now you will be living off the scraps from 3rd parties (Like Cube and N64) but you aren't gonna have the 1st party titles to live off of like Nintendo produced the last 2 generations.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

eugene said:
Your saying the 360 marketshare for software went from 54% in October to about 45% in November, and Im saying its skewed cause November favored the Wii for extra software marketshare. And Im saying any month over month analysis is skewed cause one big game will distort the entire month

No, this is not my argument. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:

No, this is not my argument. 

That actually is the basis of your original post. Your also saying that the 360 does not have overwhelming software sales as they say, which is 100% true, but its not proven with the marketshare difference between October and November

beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep ,

hear that? That is what the 360's life support system is gonna sound like in a while... Xbox360 = Terry Schiavo

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

eugene you seem really confused, but I really don't know how to help you understand. It's been explained very clearly many times, but every time you try to "summarize" his argument you can't seem to get any of it right...