By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox360, Wii, PS3, and software

It takes good software to have good sales.

The wii only has 25 games with a 75 or higher (Good games), and 113 total games if you count Ok+good games (50 or higher).

The 360 has 134/292 games.

Sales of wii software would be so much higher if it has as good of selection of games.

Around the Network

Actually, the xbox 360 did sell the most games in November

Assassins Creed and CoD4 is multiplatform and they are not anywhere near the significance of Mario. The Xbox 360 did sell the most software in October also. Yes I am speaking of America. World wide, as everyone knows, Xbox is weak in.

In October, The Xbox 360 had 54% of the software sales. More than the Wii and the PS3 combined according to NPD. http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15116/October-NPD-Xbox-360-Led-Software-Sales/

Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:
But also note that Nintendo released possibly the biggest exclusive game game of the year (2007, please dont bring up games in 2008) across all consoles that month which was Mario Galaxy. This is like the September month to Xbox 360 with Halo 3. In that sense, I dont think it did outstanding at all for software. It should have blown the competion away by miles.

Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 more than nullify the significance of Mario.  And what about October? In October, the Wii had nothing, while the 360 had Halo 3 (it had only been out for five days when Oct hit, and sold 500k the first week of October), Half Life 2: Orange Box, Ace Combat 6, Project Gotham Racing...

And yet, the 360 only managed to have barely larger software market share than it did hardware marketshare (3 percent, to be precise). Is that good? Yes. Is it complete domination? Absolutely not.

And that's my point, really, Eugene. I'm not saying the 360 isn't doing particuarly well with software; it is. I'm just pointing out that it isn't utter domination, either. It's a 5-10 percent difference, which is nice, but not a huge deal. 

How is selling more software in October, barely higher than the Wii when it sold more than the Wii and PS3 combined. As I said, Assassins Creed and CoD3 is mulitplatform and actually was advertised as a PS3 game. Mario Galaxy is arguably the biggest game of 2007 with the highest metacritic score ever. The November software sales for Wii should have been through the roof. Pecents mean nothing as anyone that listens to Howard Stringer should note.  Mario cannot be nullified also by any game as it is a genre of its own.

Around the Network

You can't expect Mario Galaxy to have the same explosive first day and first week sales as Halo 3. It didn't have its own fucking Gamer Fuel. It didn't have YEARS OF HYPE. And the Wii isn't the MarioBox like the 360 is the HaloBox. And Mario has very broad appeal which will lead to very long legs. People will be buying Galaxy along with the Wii for years to come. It's already selling faster than any other Mario game, and might even catch up to Halo 3 next Christmas. Who knows. But (I hope) nobody expected October to be Mario month like September was Halo month.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

eugene said:
Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:
But also note that Nintendo released possibly the biggest exclusive game game of the year (2007, please dont bring up games in 2008) across all consoles that month which was Mario Galaxy. This is like the September month to Xbox 360 with Halo 3. In that sense, I dont think it did outstanding at all for software. It should have blown the competion away by miles.

Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 more than nullify the significance of Mario. And what about October? In October, the Wii had nothing, while the 360 had Halo 3 (it had only been out for five days when Oct hit, and sold 500k the first week of October), Half Life 2: Orange Box, Ace Combat 6, Project Gotham Racing...

And yet, the 360 only managed to have barely larger software market share than it did hardware marketshare (3 percent, to be precise). Is that good? Yes. Is it complete domination? Absolutely not.

And that's my point, really, Eugene. I'm not saying the 360 isn't doing particuarly well with software; it is. I'm just pointing out that it isn't utter domination, either. It's a 5-10 percent difference, which is nice, but not a huge deal.

How is selling more software in October, barely higher than the Wii when it sold more than the Wii and PS3 combined. As I said, Assassins Creed and CoD3 is mulitplatform and actually was advertised as a PS3 game. Mario Galaxy is arguably the biggest game of 2007 with the highest metacritic score ever. The November software sales for Wii should have been through the roof. Pecents mean nothing as anyone that listens to Howard Stringer should note. Mario cannot be nullified also by any game as it is a genre of its own.

Okay, sure thing.

You make no sense, so I'm just not going to respond to you anymore.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Mario Galaxy didnt have years of hype?? Try 20 years of hype. Maybe it didnt have its own soda, but it had its own everything else imaginable. The Wii isnt a Mario Box??? UHH, I could argue about that till Im blue, but just about every first party game is a Mario spin off. Halo box? uhh 3 games in 6 years. Mario is the biggest and most commercialized video game charachter ever. No hype?? Not front loaded? Its the fastest selling Wii game ever and the most front loaded Wii game ever. Mario had its own launch party! As for legs, Halo 2 is still selling very well after 3 years now. I cant believe your saying Halo was advertised for years and Mario wasnt and Halo was more commercialized. Thats the dumbest thing ever said. I think I saw some little kid with Mario sneakers, licking his mario popsicle.

RolStoppable said:
Rubang B said:
You can't expect Mario Galaxy to have the same explosive first day and first week sales as Halo 3. It didn't have its own fucking Gamer Fuel. It didn't have YEARS OF HYPE. And the Wii isn't the MarioBox like the 360 is the HaloBox. And Mario has very broad appeal which will lead to very long legs. People will be buying Galaxy along with the Wii for years to come. It's already selling faster than any other Mario game, and might even catch up to Halo 3 next Christmas. Who knows. But (I hope) nobody expected October to be Mario month like September was Halo month.
Everyone knew since months that SMG would be released in November, so i am pretty sure that nobody expected it to sell big in October.

I was responding to Bod's October analysis of software sales. No November was supposed to be the big software month for the Wii. Not October, I was respoding to how he said October was not software domination for the 360 when indeed it was.

Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:
Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:

Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 more than nullify the significance of Mario. And what about October? In October, the Wii had nothing, while the 360 had Halo 3 (it had only been out for five days when Oct hit, and sold 500k the first week of October), Half Life 2: Orange Box, Ace Combat 6, Project Gotham Racing...

How is selling more software in October, barely higher than the Wii when it sold more than the Wii and PS3 combined. As I said, Assassins Creed and CoD3 is mulitplatform and actually was advertised as a PS3 game. Mario Galaxy is arguably the biggest game of 2007 with the highest metacritic score ever. The November software sales for Wii should have been through the roof. Pecents mean nothing as anyone that listens to Howard Stringer should note. Mario cannot be nullified also by any game as it is a genre of its own.

Okay, sure thing.

You make no sense, so I'm just not going to respond to you anymore.

It doenst matter to me if you respond or not to me. This whole anaysis of software sales was cherry picked and im gonna point that out.