By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is slavery no longer an economically viable option?

Mr Khan said:
DonFerrari said:
Mr Khan said:
richardhutnik said:
Netyaroze said:

It is definetly a economically viable option.

So even if you have to provide all these things like food shelter and say healthcare it would still be a win.

Lets say you have slave males. Then just give them a dangerous job which earns more money like soldier or working on a oil rig. Or something like that. Provide food ? A 100 pound rice sack and 1 package of vitamine pills and some 2 pounds  butter every 3 months would be enough to keep someone healthy. And the price is very affordable. 2 pounds butter = 5 Dollar 100 pound rice= 100 Dollar 1 package vitamine pills 6 dollar = 111 Dollar/3 about 40 Dollar a month for food including water which is very cheap if you collect rain water or use tap water. electricity is not required for them also you could fit easily 10 in a garage or more in a basement.

I deleted other costs you listed to save space.  Did you factor in also the cost of hiring guards to make sure they don't escape, cost of the compound to secure, and also the costs of recovering slaves that would escape?  Pretty much you would be talking the operating of a prison complex.  Not sure that that point it then becomes viable.

I do have to wonder, despite all this, if the current market system we have now is actually more humane.  You have homeless people who work as day laborers, so what they make doesn't even provide enough for a shelter for them.

You're thinking too conventionally here. Secure the compound? a few bars on the windows, locks on the doors. When dealing with trafficked persons, they often don't want to escape, at least not in the conventional way. If you've been shuttled out of Moldova to, say, Dubai, don't speak a word of Arabic, how can you escape? Where can you go? If the police find you, they're just gonna deport you back to Moldova. The traffickers can also prey on this mentality, to amplify it. Psychological torment costs nothing on the part of the tormentor

You're thinking of, like, a sort of legitimized slavery, one where slaves are self-actualized and aware that there are better opportunities than slavery, and are not being psychologically, physically, and sexually abused. The face of modern slavery is low-tech, high high profit, and very ugly

Are they making Wii with slave manwork?

Who knows :P? Trafficked contractual workers working for peanuts in those tech factories in Taiwan or Malaysia or wherever they do the actual production. Could explain those suicide rates they had an issue with a while back

In Brazil would be even cheaper, could work for bananas =] maybe DK were programmed here.

And Wii were based on the slaves movements and the punishment?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Netyaroze said:

It is definetly a economically viable option.

So even if you have to provide all these things like food shelter and say healthcare it would still be a win.

Lets say you have slave males. Then just give them a dangerous job which earns more money like soldier or working on a oil rig. Or something like that. Provide food ? A 100 pound rice sack and 1 package of vitamine pills and some 2 pounds  butter every 3 months would be enough to keep someone healthy. And the price is very affordable. 2 pounds butter = 5 Dollar 100 pound rice= 100 Dollar 1 package vitamine pills 6 dollar = 111 Dollar/3 about 40 Dollar a month for food including water which is very cheap if you collect rain water or use tap water. electricity is not required for them also you could fit easily 10 in a garage or more in a basement.

I deleted other costs you listed to save space.  Did you factor in also the cost of hiring guards to make sure they don't escape, cost of the compound to secure, and also the costs of recovering slaves that would escape?  Pretty much you would be talking the operating of a prison complex.  Not sure that that point it then becomes viable.

I do have to wonder, despite all this, if the current market system we have now is actually more humane.  You have homeless people who work as day laborers, so what they make doesn't even provide enough for a shelter for them.

First of all if slavery would be allowed again then there is one known rule a slave on the loose has to be killed if someone sees him. And slaves would be marked. In the past they were mostly black so black = slave nowadays if you have multi cultural slaves like it would be nowadays since the society isnt splitted by races but by poor and rich. There would be somekind of mark and police would watch out for stolen or lost property. So an unknown slave marked without master would be found by police and brought back to owner or killed by some honest citizens.

Slaves wouldnt dare to run. Where should they go to ? And by the way there is a technique which is used. Let your property make children and if they run you just execute the children or family members or other people they care. Let then have groups and say if one person runs we kill another or the whole group so the other slaves would fear that they get killed if someone runs so they would spy on each other and report every attempt of flight. With todays technology you could implant a tracking device somewhere in the body without the slave knowing were it is.

There are endless possiblities. best working is if they live in permanent fear and only absolute devotion to the master gives alittle hope to lead a partially good life.

There are methodes used in the Gulaks or KZs and by US Farmer which ensure that only a tiny minority of slaves run. And they are for free only thing you need is to be consistent and not allow any exceptions under any circumstances.

Free work is WAY overhyped these days. Slavery is much cheaper yer underrated labor.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I can't figure out whether you people are for or against slavery...some of the comments here repulse me.

Perhaps we should persuase people to voluntarize... it's even cheapier than slavery.

Owwww, wait, some people already had this absurd idea; work for less than food and shelter, prepoterous.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
TheLivingShadow said:

I can't figure out whether you people are for or against slavery...some of the comments here repulse me.

If you adress me: i am against it. I tried to make clear how brutal slavery really is and not comparable to a low paid job thus making it always an economically "interesting" option.

wht? man plz! i hate to brake it to u but we are all slaves! let me brake it down for u in simple terms with a few examples

money, employment, most of mans laws, politic's.

either your a slave by politic's, communism, employment, democracy, or mans law now take ur pick or have them all?

richardhutnik said:

This video from the movie, "The Yes Men", along with the planet Illium in Mass Effect 2 (with indentured servants) puts this question in my mind:

As you can see laid out in the video, if someone is a slave owner, they have to provide health care, food, clothing and shelter for their slave, or their "investment" would go to waste.  Done in a developed nation it can be costly.  Well, as observed by the American economy, and the push for "right to work" and increasing on-demand temporary labor, and no guarantees of individuals even remotely ever making enough money to provide things like healthcare or shelter (there are homeless people who do work as day laborers), the market seems to have optimized itself to do what customers need, without people having things that even a slave would have.  So, the question here is: Is slavery no longer an economically viable option?  The Yes Men video indicates, AT LEAST, it isn't economically viable to have slaves in developed nations.  Just curious if planet Illium, for example, would end up having indentured servants on it. 

By the way, I would suggest anyone who doesn't know what the Yes Men are about, to go do a bit of research on them, if what you see there generates strong opinions of them. 

If you provide things like health care, adequate food and shelter, and other things like that I assume slavery is still viable because it's cheaper than hiring someone to do whatever you're having someone else do for free.

That said, if you have slaves why would you care about those above things?  I know I wouldn't.

DonFerrari said:

Perhaps we should persuase people to voluntarize... it's even cheapier than slavery.

Owwww, wait, some people already had this absurd idea; work for less than food and shelter, prepoterous.

In the case of the arts, where you have musicians, actors, or other forms of arts, and there is a promise of making it big, plus people are drawn, or feel a need to do it, people will work for free.  Same goes with professional athletes.  Look also at the number of levels created for something like LittleBigPlanet to.  Free concent.

Throw in also here people who seek Internships, to be able to get sufficient experience, to land work.  Businesses use interns.  I have an employment place that wants to try to land myself an internship doing low level data entry work, on the belief maybe it will lead to a job somewhere.  This happens.  Shoot, I have been doing pro-bono work for multiple years now, due to lack of paid work.  If I don't have this, I have a gap in my resume.

It happens.

TheLivingShadow said:

Not sure if anyone here is in favor of slavery.  If you speak about the Yes Men, and the video, I suggest you do a bit of research on them.  Their story is one how people who don't do proper due dilligence invite them to speak as a representative of the World Trade Organization, and they expose the downside of globalization of trade.

If you question what I wrote, well, I would have to ask if elimination of slavery ALWAYS produces situations better than slavery itself.  If you have an environment where people work for less that what is needed for them to survive, which happens, is that better than a situation of indentured servitude, with maybe government enforced minimum standards on the quality of accomodations.  Like, for the indentured servant, the individual who held the contract of the indentured servant would have to provide minimum health and living accomodations.  Yes, we go into animal cruelty here, but why not have that?  Do we want to have a society where people end up bagging groceries for tips only, and hoping to be able to live?  In Mexico, people bag groceries for tips.  Is that something worthwhile to have? 

Maybe there are economic conditions worse than slavery people can end up going through.