By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is slavery no longer an economically viable option?

Mr Khan said:
DonFerrari said:

But never forget, that slaves don't have wages, so Industrial/Comercial/Information (whatever the name now) would crumble and die without payed labours.

Slaves are extracted from the bottom rungs of society financially. Their lost potential contribution as income earners are generally not missed, especially in the cases of poor farm families in some countries that sell their kids off for more than those kids could have made in a year

And of course you know why UK ruled slavery from Western world don't you?? (Brazil had to free it's slave because they suffered an embargo)... or why the North and South US battle were about in Slavery?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mr Khan said:
DonFerrari said:

But never forget, that slaves don't have wages, so Industrial/Comercial/Information (whatever the name now) would crumble and die without payed labours.

Slaves are extracted from the bottom rungs of society financially. Their lost potential contribution as income earners are generally not missed, especially in the cases of poor farm families in some countries that sell their kids off for more than those kids could have made in a year

And of course you know why UK ruled slavery from Western world don't you?? (Brazil had to free it's slave because they suffered an embargo)... or why the North and South US battle were about in Slavery?

I'm speaking of modern slavery

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Netyaroze said:

It is definetly a economically viable option.

So even if you have to provide all these things like food shelter and say healthcare it would still be a win.

Lets say you have slave males. Then just give them a dangerous job which earns more money like soldier or working on a oil rig. Or something like that. Provide food ? A 100 pound rice sack and 1 package of vitamine pills and some 2 pounds  butter every 3 months would be enough to keep someone healthy. And the price is very affordable. 2 pounds butter = 5 Dollar 100 pound rice= 100 Dollar 1 package vitamine pills 6 dollar = 111 Dollar/3 about 40 Dollar a month for food including water which is very cheap if you collect rain water or use tap water. electricity is not required for them also you could fit easily 10 in a garage or more in a basement.

I deleted other costs you listed to save space.  Did you factor in also the cost of hiring guards to make sure they don't escape, cost of the compound to secure, and also the costs of recovering slaves that would escape?  Pretty much you would be talking the operating of a prison complex.  Not sure that that point it then becomes viable.

I do have to wonder, despite all this, if the current market system we have now is actually more humane.  You have homeless people who work as day laborers, so what they make doesn't even provide enough for a shelter for them.

Mr Khan said:
DonFerrari said:
Mr Khan said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm speaking of modern slavery

They may be viable, but not the best option probably.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

richardhutnik said:
Netyaroze said:

So even if you have to provide all these things like food shelter and say healthcare it would still be a win.

Lets say you have slave males. Then just give them a dangerous job which earns more money like soldier or working on a oil rig. Or something like that. Provide food ? A 100 pound rice sack and 1 package of vitamine pills and some 2 pounds  butter every 3 months would be enough to keep someone healthy. And the price is very affordable. 2 pounds butter = 5 Dollar 100 pound rice= 100 Dollar 1 package vitamine pills 6 dollar = 111 Dollar/3 about 40 Dollar a month for food including water which is very cheap if you collect rain water or use tap water. electricity is not required for them also you could fit easily 10 in a garage or more in a basement.

I deleted other costs you listed to save space.  Did you factor in also the cost of hiring guards to make sure they don't escape, cost of the compound to secure, and also the costs of recovering slaves that would escape?  Pretty much you would be talking the operating of a prison complex.  Not sure that that point it then becomes viable.

I do have to wonder, despite all this, if the current market system we have now is actually more humane.  You have homeless people who work as day laborers, so what they make doesn't even provide enough for a shelter for them.

Sub employment is cheaper than slavery. You don't feed, you don't buy them from other rich man, don't shelter or care for health...

Some places you can grab a hooker for 1 dollar.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Netyaroze said:

You're thinking too conventionally here. Secure the compound? a few bars on the windows, locks on the doors. When dealing with trafficked persons, they often don't want to escape, at least not in the conventional way. If you've been shuttled out of Moldova to, say, Dubai, don't speak a word of Arabic, how can you escape? Where can you go? If the police find you, they're just gonna deport you back to Moldova. The traffickers can also prey on this mentality, to amplify it. Psychological torment costs nothing on the part of the tormentor

You're thinking of, like, a sort of legitimized slavery, one where slaves are self-actualized and aware that there are better opportunities than slavery, and are not being psychologically, physically, and sexually abused. The face of modern slavery is low-tech, high high profit, and very ugly

Mr Khan said:
richardhutnik said:
Netyaroze said:

You're thinking too conventionally here. Secure the compound? a few bars on the windows, locks on the doors. When dealing with trafficked persons, they often don't want to escape, at least not in the conventional way. If you've been shuttled out of Moldova to, say, Dubai, don't speak a word of Arabic, how can you escape? Where can you go? If the police find you, they're just gonna deport you back to Moldova. The traffickers can also prey on this mentality, to amplify it. Psychological torment costs nothing on the part of the tormentor

You're thinking of, like, a sort of legitimized slavery, one where slaves are self-actualized and aware that there are better opportunities than slavery, and are not being psychologically, physically, and sexually abused. The face of modern slavery is low-tech, high high profit, and very ugly

Are they making Wii with slave manwork?

DonFerrari said:
Mr Khan said:
richardhutnik said:
Netyaroze said:

Are they making Wii with slave manwork?

Who knows :P? Trafficked contractual workers working for peanuts in those tech factories in Taiwan or Malaysia or wherever they do the actual production. Could explain those suicide rates they had an issue with a while back

Mr Khan said:

I was think of the Indentured Servant model seen in Illium of Mass Effect 2, where everything was above board and promoted as a viable model for employing people.  Or, even the model in the American south, where it was institutionalized.  It was not below board, but out in the open.

richardhutnik said:
Mr Khan said:

I was think of the Indentured Servant model seen in Illium of Mass Effect 2, where everything was above board and promoted as a viable model for employing people.  Or, even the model in the American south, where it was institutionalized.  It was not below board, but out in the open.

Are you talking about slavery as a viable economic option for whom? Traffickers, pimps, and gangsters are making mad money off of it. As an act of exploitation, slavery is incredibly valuable, to the exploiters