By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Atheits ... How Many On VGChartz ?

I consider myself more of an Agnostic. I think having certainty that no higher power created all of this is just as stubborn as certainty that there IS a God.

While I do think there is some higher power or force beyond our comprehension, I see what people consider "god" as nothing more than a higher "order" of laws and powers, not as some human-like being that feels or makes concious decisions. And I certainly don't believe this figure watches over everything you do and has a list of 10 commandments that you must follow.

Indeed, there are ENDLESS forces beyond our comperehension, and we are merely dumb fish in a fishbowl swimming around, unaware of 99% of what is going on around us. But I don't believe this higher power is what we precieve it to be, which is a simplified human-like figure looking down on people.

People think that God created humans in his own likeness. The irony is that in reality humans created God in THEIR likeness.

I understand why some people believe in God, and it's for a good cause; they want to believe there is a father figure out there protecting them.

Furthermore, they wish to believe that this father figure rewards for good deeds and punishes bad. And THIS is the primary reason I WANT to believe in God, but my logical self says no. However, I do believe in karma to a degree, and if you have karma existing, you don't necessarilly need God for this purpose.

Around the Network

yep here just like the majority of all Germans

The Anarchyz said:

I'm not an atheist because i think that atheism brings certainty to people about something, religion has that too, just in the opposite direction, and i think that there is no definitive answer. But i agree in a lot of things with atheists. 

I think there is an entity that we could call God, but no one knows which/who/what it is, and i'm not sure of that either, and i simply don't let the thoughts of it run my life, i try to run it with a compass instead of a crystal ball or a magic book.

I think that description means your an agnostic

Agnostic - I don't try to claim that there is no God(s), or to I claim there is. I shall wait and see. And yeah, amongst Australians my age that'd be a pretty popular response.

AussieGecko said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

I'm 100% certain there is no afterlife or prime mover in the universe.

The burden of proof is on the people who think there are invisible forces at work that control everything, gave us the power of reason but don't want us to use it, intentionally hide from us, love us, want us to believe in them, and punish us if we don't, while knowing that logically we shouldn't.

I am not questioning your belief when I write this, but how can you be 100% percent of anything? Just querying more then anything.

Yeah you're right.  It's pretty much 99.9999999999999% with everything.  But I round up.  I can't let that 0.0000000000001% start freaking me out, and start wondering if I'm a butterfly dreaming I'm human, or I'm in a virtual simulation, or I'm in a brain in a jar, or I'm an alien being forced to relive some jerkwad human's life over and over.

So I just round up to 100%, and if I'm wrong, meh, I learned something new.

Around the Network

Agnostic. I'm pretty sure there isn't god/esse/s. There's always a part of me that has doubts and such but that's how my brain works. I always question things, including my own beliefs (or disbelief).

I tried once, as a test, to believe in god. I tried really hard but I don't have that faith "switch" as some other people do. Wouldn't we all have it if there was a god? I know all about free will, but that would be a choice of believing or refusing, but what about people who DO try but don't have that "switch" flipped?

Also doing research on various religions, they all have their own sacred texts, what makes one valid and the others not? How can someone be sure that theirs is right when you have so many other religions? What if they're all wrong? There's more questions when thinking of religions than answers. Still, I won't claim to know all about them, I still have more reading and research to do.

Anyway, I wanted to finish by saying that I respect religious people that respect me. I try to be a good person, I have my own morals... So I don't need some spirituality to "guide" me. I couldn't care less about people who try to force their belief on me, because that's crossing the line. If you can't see good in people, regardless of what they believe (or do not believe) in, then it's your problem and I won't be interested in you, as a person.

It always strucks me how soon these things turn into a "religion vs science" discussion.

I remember in school people were pretty shocked (they literally couldn't believe it) that I was an atheist / agnostic. And they would always ask me "so you believe in science?" which would leave me pretty confused. You can't "believe" in science. Real religious belief is not the same as trusting scientific discoveries.

Religious belief goes way deeper than just "believing facts". Religion is not about "x and y happened".

Maybe some of you guys should read the work of James Fowler (just google him) then you'll realize that once you hit a certain..."stage" of religious belief there is no believing in religious "facts" anymore.

UncleScrooge said:

It always strucks me how soon these things turn into a "religion vs science" discussion.

I remember in school people were pretty shocked (they literally couldn't believe it) that I was an atheist / agnostic. And they would always ask me "so you believe in science?" which would leave me pretty confused. You can't "believe" in science. Real religious belief is not the same as trusting scientific discoveries.

Religious belief goes way deeper than just "believing facts". Religion is not about "x and y happened".

Maybe some of you guys should read the work of James Fowler (just google him) then you'll realize that once you hit a certain..."stage" of religious belief there is no believing in religious "facts" anymore.

ooooooooh i love how the people that believe science without question. Like how we were guaranteed the oldest human was 100k years, then going on and going on and now we are up to 2 million.

Oh and raptors, guess what they have feathers, look at jurassic park, hell the lost world it was only recently they realised that they had feathers. Science is a bunch of theories until proven otherwise, and even then its not proven. It is simply a new discovery.

You can not simply criticise religion "theories" if you are trying to use science "theories" in defence.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Agnostic here, despite what a lot of people here seem to think, Atheist doesn't mean "Not Christian/Jewish" It means that a deliberate effort was put forth to believe that no Gods or greater forces exist. I am agnostic, I don't believe the answer to the existence of spiritual realm, or a greater power is out of the question, simply because a scientific experiment can't prove it. 

Despite the fact that the theory of Evolution and the Big Bang theory are often called scientific theories, they are not since experimentation cannot prove that they occur. Although many smaller experiments give Evolutionary theory a lot of merit to the point that we can deduce that it is all but proven correct, the scientific method can't prove it without a time machine. On the other hand, there are a lot of alternative theories to the Big Bang theory that have strong merit too, but lack the popularity - the Big Bang theory implies a beginning, and that is what scientists like for some reason; the theories with just as much merit which imply an eternity of existence are less popular. Science can show expansion in this part of the universe, but even in the oldest portions of the known universe we are seeing galaxies with greater maturity than the milky way, which should not exist - this implies that the oldest portions of the universe we know, probably have much older origins. We also see Quasars which are a few hundred million years old, when they were supposed to be gone in the early universe (which would have been more than 10 billion years ago in a 13.7 billion year old universe; in otherwords, the youngest known quasars are in the most recent 5-10% of the universe's age).

Agnosticism - the wisest of the Greeks was considered so because he knew he knew nothing. All the scientific experimentation possible cannot really disprove or prove something that isn't observable.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

AussieGecko said:
UncleScrooge said:

ooooooooh i love how the people that believe science without question. Like how we were guaranteed the oldest human was 100k years, then going on and going on and now we are up to 2 million.

Oh and raptors, guess what they have feathers, look at jurassic park, hell the lost world it was only recently they realised that they had feathers. Science is a bunch of theories until proven otherwise, and even then its not proven. It is simply a new discovery.

You can not simply criticise religion "theories" if you are trying to use science "theories" in defence.

Hmm... I'm not sure what to answer but going by your last sentence I guess you expect me to "believe" in scientific theories? If so that is not true.

I merely said that you can't believe in science like it was a religion because it is something else. When someone asks me whether I "believe" in science to compensate for religion it feels like they are asking "so you don't like the french language. That must mean you only drive Ferraris right?" There is no connection between the two.

So uhm...was that last sentence aimed at me or at everyone? Because it doesn't reflect my opinion on this matter at all