By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Atheits ... How Many On VGChartz ?

ninty_shareholder64 said:
Rainbird said:

The most intelligent answer why someone believes in god came from an intelligent friend. He said he doesn't think that god exists, but he believes.

He got the point. There's no reason to believe in god regarding the FACTS and everyone trying to prove gods existence with FACTS is just laughable. These persons are just blinded god fanboys.

If there is any reason to believe in god, it's just that it makes you feel better, nothing else.

But i am not dump enough to kid myself, sadly.

So anyone who believes in something that cannot be proven with facts at the moment, are dumb?

Yes!

Well, you're allowed your opinion, but being religious is in no way the same as being dumb, so you shouldn't go around calling people dumb for that reason. It's rude and unpleasant.

Alright?

Around the Network

To be honest.

I think, if you're saying you don't think that god exists, but you believe, then you're kidding yourself.

That's the point.

To be honest.

I think, if you're saying you don't think that god exists, but you believe, then you're kidding yourself.

That's the point.

Well, say that instead, it makes for way better conversation than calling people names.

But I agree with you on this, it's a weird way of looking at things.

Rainbird said:

To be honest.

That's the point.

Well, say that instead, it makes for way better conversation than calling people names.

But I agree with you on this, it's a weird way of looking at things.

Yes, but a discussion about this topic is always insulting.

I'm feeling insulted everytime someone tries to prove god's existence. Things about evolution, C-14, etc. is just laughable at best, imho.

But hey, i have friends who believe in god and we're still friends, nevertheless. And yes i am rude.

DeadNotSleeping said:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

This is a position many atheists smugly assume.

"Is good willing to prevent evil, but not able?"  Perhaps his is willing and actively is preventing evil but our perceptions are so limited in scope and so speculative of short-term futures that we cannot fathom what a Divine Plan may be on an eternal scale encompassing all humanity.

Ex. Assume that the legends are true and that Lucifer thought himself better than God, led a rebellion against Him, failed, and the supporters of the insurrection were banished to a place without God--Hell.  Hell would thus be a place without anything resembling dignity, grace, compassion, etc., and possibly become a realm representing a perverse view of the opposite.  If God is omnipotent and all-loving, he would feel great pain that His creations lived in such a state.  What if this realm in its entirety was meant to become a battleground between Good and Evil; that the Master Plan, so complex, serves the ultimate and unavoidable purpose of making Lucifer, all his followers and all souls that rejected God realize their error to such an extent that they repent?  If God is all-forgiving, He'd welcome them into Heaven for all eternity.

Hell would then be a self-constructed prison for those who reject God and what He stands for--but a temporary prison.  For perfection would demand that no creation exist in there forever.  For all we know, the evils on earth are mere variables that God accounted for which may possibly be due solely to Lucifer's interferance.  If this is the case, God allows evil and yet is doing something about it beyond our comprehension that may result in its utter annihilation someday.  Since we cannot know one way or another, putting a limitation on God himself as the original claim "Is God willing but not able?"  that the rest of this train of thought is manifestly false.

We cannot know, but some atheists think they do.

"Is he able and not willing?"  Let's assume this question to be true.  Perhaps evil caused by man is a consequence of Free Will and OUR responsibility to deal with.  Philosophers have been arguing for centuries if this validates/justifies the absence of benevolent deific intervention.  Those arguing on defense of God make a far better more compelling case.

"Is he neither able nor willing?" Sounds like a leading question to me.  Is He?  What if He is able and willing? Well then I guess it's a perfectly justified reason to call Him God.

This is the beauty of religion, one can simply take the stance that we cannot comprehend the ways of a deity. Simply marvelous, it has all bases covered and is the ultimate exit strategy from any and all philosophical debate and arguments.

This is what we know;

The bible is truthful because it says so in the bible.

Anything that seems inconsistent or illogical can simply be attributed to the fact that god works in mysterious ways and we cannout fathom his plan(s).

God cannot be proven nor disproven.

Its a perfect all bases covered, full round circle argument that deflects all critical thinking (which is very much a cunning construct of religion in order to stem the tide of questions and flaws) and protects the faith from all outside influence. Nothing new under the sky, this discussion will never be settled since both sides are deeply dug into their foxholes as is. And that's fine, debate is healthy and a big part of society and character buliding.

Around the Network

I'm feeling insulted everytime someone tries to prove god's existence. Things about evolution, C-14, etc. is just laughable at best, imho.

But hey, i have friends who believe in god and we're still friends, nevertheless. And yes i am rude.

Then you're probably being overly sensitive.

Anyway, having a respectful conversation is always better than name calling and what not. Anyone can claim to be right, but being rude and not presenting proper arguments just makes you come off as a jerk.

Besides, name calling can get you banned on this forum. I could easily have reported you before for calling every religious person stupid.

A funny comment on this topic is written on the toilet door of my university.

"God is dead,

Jesus was never alive,

Long live the mighty

Nintendo 64"

ROFL

stuid comment, but funny!

or not?

Rainbird said:

Then you're probably being overly sensitive.

Anyway, having a respectful conversation is always better than name calling and what not. Anyone can claim to be right, but being rude and not presenting proper arguments just makes you come off as a jerk.

Besides, name calling can get you banned on this forum. I could easily have reported you before for calling every religious person stupid.

Hey!

What did i say?

I am not dump enough to kid myself. Everything you concluded is interpretation, or not?

Sending someone to hell for not believing is flaming, too.

And that's part of your belief, citing the bible.

So my interpretation of your religious belief is insulting to me.

"presenting proper arguments" in this discussion, lol.

Proper arguments for gods' evidence contradicts itself.

A funny comment on this topic is written on the toilet door of my university.

"God is dead,

Jesus was never alive,

Long live the mighty

Nintendo 64"

ROFL

stuid comment, but funny!

or not?

may i ask what university is that?