By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2010 hangover: Games that you regret buying and why

binary solo said:
twesterm said:

ModNation Racers

I honestly didn't have high hopes for this game but I like kart racers so I gave it a try.  I know it's hard to be disappointed by a game you don't care about but this game just pissed me off so much.  I couldn't get past the third race because the AI was just so difficult (and don't tell me about a patch, I sold it long ago).  I would easily be in first the entire race but then in the last half of the last lap every time the AI would just unload on me and I would be screwed.  The AI would save their weapons almost the entire race and there would be nothing I could do about it. 

I tried for well over an hour to get past the third race in the game and I just couldn't do it.  You can call me terrible at a game all you want, the third race of the game shouldn't be that hard.

Really? If you're that bad at MNR then you should never play another kart racing game again. It's got a pretty short learning curve and once you know how the game works winning the story mode races becomes pretty straight forward. And I'm talking about normal mode. Easy mode was unnecessary really. Did they patch normal mode to make it a little easier, I donb't recall that being mentioned?

Actaully I don't know aht I'm doing here because there isn't a game I've bought in 2010 that's given me buyer's remorse.

I believe they made a patch that fixed loading times and added an easy mode but I stopped playing before they released the patch (it took them a while to release it).  I play every kart racing game I can get my hands on because I like kart games and I generally do decently at them, except MNR. 

I started with the career mode since that's generally a good place to start in any game and simply couldn't get past the third race.  I knew how to block and how to save my powerups, but when seven other opponents all use their teir 3 powerups on you in the last seconds on the race, there isn't much you can do.

I would except that kind of behavior on the harder difficulty settings (if there was one at the time) or in later races, but not the third race in the game.  The game simply fails at any sort of difficulty curve.  I easily came in first for the first two races and got all the rewards but one but on the third race, I couldn't finish it.  I would easily be in first the entire race except the last part of the last lap when the AI simply unloaded on me and there was nothing I could do.

Like I said, you can call me bad at the game, I don't care, but the third race in a casual kart racing game shouldn't be that hard.

Around the Network

Smash Bros. Brawl. I already had an NTSC copy with a Freeloader which obviously doesn't work anymore. So I got rid of that and bought a brand new PAL copy last month because I felt like it.

After a few hours I realised I'd already played it death and it was no longer fun. Waste of $70.

twesterm said:
binary solo said:
twesterm said:

ModNation Racers

I honestly didn't have high hopes for this game but I like kart racers so I gave it a try.  I know it's hard to be disappointed by a game you don't care about but this game just pissed me off so much.  I couldn't get past the third race because the AI was just so difficult (and don't tell me about a patch, I sold it long ago).  I would easily be in first the entire race but then in the last half of the last lap every time the AI would just unload on me and I would be screwed.  The AI would save their weapons almost the entire race and there would be nothing I could do about it. 

I tried for well over an hour to get past the third race in the game and I just couldn't do it.  You can call me terrible at a game all you want, the third race of the game shouldn't be that hard.

Really? If you're that bad at MNR then you should never play another kart racing game again. It's got a pretty short learning curve and once you know how the game works winning the story mode races becomes pretty straight forward. And I'm talking about normal mode. Easy mode was unnecessary really. Did they patch normal mode to make it a little easier, I donb't recall that being mentioned?

Actaully I don't know aht I'm doing here because there isn't a game I've bought in 2010 that's given me buyer's remorse.

I believe they made a patch that fixed loading times and added an easy mode but I stopped playing before they released the patch (it took them a while to release it).  I play every kart racing game I can get my hands on because I like kart games and I generally do decently at them, except MNR. 

I started with the career mode since that's generally a good place to start in any game and simply couldn't get past the third race.  I knew how to block and how to save my powerups, but when seven other opponents all use their teir 3 powerups on you in the last seconds on the race, there isn't much you can do.

I would except that kind of behavior on the harder difficulty settings (if there was one at the time) or in later races, but not the third race in the game.  The game simply fails at any sort of difficulty curve.  I easily came in first for the first two races and got all the rewards but one but on the third race, I couldn't finish it.  I would easily be in first the entire race except the last part of the last lap when the AI simply unloaded on me and there was nothing I could do.

Like I said, you can call me bad at the game, I don't care, but the third race in a casual kart racing game shouldn't be that hard.

All that just doesn't compute with me for the 3rd race in the first series. I got through it first time, and I thought the difficulty curve was a little shallow if anything. Things really didn't start getting tough to win until the final race series. Again, I'm talking about playing on normal difficulty. So it's got nothing to do with the casual difficulty patch. I don't understand how a kart racing fan can find it too hard.

Maybe your PS3 knows you really don't like it, so it was being mean to you. Show it some love and it will love you back. She is a demanding mistress.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
twesterm said:
binary solo said:
twesterm said:

ModNation Racers

All that just doesn't compute with me for the 3rd race in the first series. I got through it first time, and I thought the difficulty curve was a little shallow if anything. Things really didn't start getting tough to win until the final race series. Again, I'm talking about playing on normal difficulty. So it's got nothing to do with the casual difficulty patch. I don't understand how a kart racing fan can find it too hard.

Maybe your PS3 knows you really don't like it, so it was being mean to you. Show it some love and it will love you back. She is a demanding mistress.

I don't ever remember setting any difficulty setting (I don't even remember the option to) and the difficulty in the game was a pretty common complaint.  The best proof of that is they had to release a patch that fixed the horribly unbalanced difficulty.

binary solo said:
twesterm said:
binary solo said:
twesterm said:

ModNation Racers

I don't ever remember setting any difficulty setting (I don't even remember the option to) and the difficulty in the game was a pretty common complaint.  The best proof of that is they had to release a patch that fixed the horribly unbalanced difficulty.

Around the Network

For some reason I regret buying atlus games this year and they we're all pretty inexpensive.

Dokopon Kingdom - I can't believe my friends and cousins like this game.

3D Dot Game Heroes - I got this game on amazon for $20 but never got the incentive to past the second boss.

Demon's Souls - I have a love hate relationship with this game and as of now its on the hate side.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

twesterm said:
binary solo said:
twesterm said:
binary solo said:
twesterm said:

ModNation Racers

Yeah, they must have dumbed down the normal difficulty at the same time as putting in a casual difficulty. Seems like it ended up making 2 difficulty setting that weren't all that different, and as a consequence normal difficulty became a little too easy.

If you can stomach it I'd be interested to see what you think about the post patch normal difficulty setting, if you rent the game some time. Still better things to do than re-try a game you've already written off as below already low expectations I guess.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Red Dead Redemption and Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII - Not my cup of tea at all. I have played every FF games, and I mean every. Tactics, Online, Dissidia, and even Kingdom Hearts (sort of an FF spin off). This game just does not deserve the banner. Boring hand holding tutorial that lasted about 17 hours for me, and the payoff was just not exiting. 

RDR - Bought this game just on a whim. Never looked at a single thing about it, but heard nothing but good about it. Even friends were saying they thought this is their game of the year. After 6 hours I could not even remember I had this game. Did not have a single thought about it for months. Just saw it at thanksgiving, and it was like, wow I have this game. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Left 4 Dead 2 (360): I just didn't like it. I've only played it once. Ever since then, it's just been collecting dust. It just turned out to not be my type of game.

Dead Space Extraction (Wii): Nothing happens! Does the 360 version feel like one big cutscene? That's how I felt when playing the Wii one. I'll give it another chance though when I can find my nunchuk again.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

none whatsoever