By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What percentage of XBL subscriptions now goes to Activision?

June 2010

"I would have Call Of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow,”

Microsoft/Activision deal announced at E3

July 2010

Bobby talking about XBL

“We’ve heard that 60 per cent of [Microsoft’s] subscribers are principally on Live because of Call Of Duty,” Kotick said. “We don’t really participate financially in that income stream. We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of players playing on Live, but it’s not our network.”

Microsoft announces price hike for XBL to start in November

November 2010

Bobby Talking about XBL

"Activision does enjoy a "very modest amount of the subscription fees"

"I think the thing that sometimes even I don't fully appreciate – and I think I have a greater appreciation for it today, having spent a lot of time up with Microsoft recently – but they invest billions of dollars in the Live platform. Billing, credit collection, things like foreign currency conversion, being able to manage point systems. All of that is extremely expensive to manage and maintain."

"Are we going to be charging for multiplayer? The answer is no. The experience you have out of the box, connecting with the online community to play Call of Duty is absolutely integral to the experience and we'll never charge for that. It's not going to be something we'll attempt to monetize; it's part of the package," Eric Hershberg, Activision

So Bobby goes from hating the XBL model because he doesn't get any monies to signing an exclusive deal at e3 with MS. MS increases XBL subs and now Bobby has a newfound appreciation for XBL that he never had before and coincidentally now gets a 'modest' amount from subs.

How modest? The full XBL increase?

Is it a percentage of ALL subs or just those who play CoD?

Any guesses?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

The price increase is for everyone, so probably everyone with gold is now paying activion ><

WOW i didnt know about this deal lol. microsoft should not have done thta in my opinion.

Is this serious?

Suddenly the price of LIVE goes up and all of a sudden Activision say they get a part of the fee?

Just wow.

See, MS loves even Activision. That is how friendly and lovable MS is!

Around the Network

Could you please provide links to these things?  Sources are always nice.

nightsurge said:

Could you please provide links to these things?  Sources are always nice.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/12/bobby-kotick-on-the-business-of-call-of-duty-dlc-treyarch-inf/

the last paragraphs isnt Bobby Kotic, it Eric Hershberg i believe is the vie president something like that. 

Because Bobby still wants pay subscription in Call of Duty 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Activision isn't getting money just because of subscriptions. They made an exclusive deal for DLC, which is what they get the money for. Like Rockstar did for GTAIV.

Yeah, this all came out on gaf awhile ago, though the poster there was more detailed in his analysis:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413950

There was big uproar about it.