By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Steam is Awesome, and How You Can Make Live Free

Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:

If you want people to show Microsoft that they don't want to pay for Live, it can happen two ways:

1) Everyone stops paying for Live and loses their Gold advantages, like online play. (NOT HAPPENING)

2) Every 360 owner buys another platform for online gaming, so they can stop playing their 360 online. (NOT HAPPENING)

3) ~400 million people (~200 million counting only the less casual part of PC gamers) playing on PC and consoles different from XB360 (HAPPENING)

Obviously #3 is effective only if MS ISN'T happy with just its tens million glad to pay.

The 360 is seeing record sales, it's selling incredibly well even though it's more than five years old, and a lot of consumers are buying Gold subscriptions. I think Microsoft are pretty happy with the results they're getting now and continue to get.

The vast majority of consumers aren't, though, but if MS is happy, by all means it must go on like this, I won't object, as long as I have a choice.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Live seriously have no reason to be a payed service, we're not in the 90's servers are not that expensive to hold especially in the USA, developers know this as well, even MMOs are getting cheaper (to the point of paying only once, or even be fully free) , Microsoft should get their act together.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:

The 360 is seeing record sales, it's selling incredibly well even though it's more than five years old, and a lot of consumers are buying Gold subscriptions. I think Microsoft are pretty happy with the results they're getting now and continue to get.

The vast majority of consumers aren't, though, but if MS is happy, by all means it must go on like this, I won't object, as long as I have a choice.

I meant consumers who bought a 360. But don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more online services on each console so we can get some competition, but that doesn't really seem all that likely right now. Until then, I don't see the big deal in paying for what XBL has to offer.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Despite what MS would wish, people perceive the difference from paying for things that are usually free.

Perhaps, but that doesn't stop people from paying apparently. Look at CoD Black Ops for example. People could go play it free on the PS3 and PC. Yet more people choose to pay Live fees to play online on the 360.

Paying for use, if the fee is modest, helps acceptance amongst people not playing too often, while a flat rate may be better for heavy gamers.

It all depends on the price difference of by the hour vs unlimited. I doubt the masses spend many hours playing online, so paying a small fee by the hour could be ideal for many.

Flexibility is of the essence, and it's a well known quality of Chinese businesspeople. MS OTOH has this old flaw of its of trying to force its business model on people by its sheer power.

This is just bullshit. You should have just left this out.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:

I meant consumers who bought a 360. But don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more online services on each console so we can get some competition, but that doesn't really seem all that likely right now. Until then, I don't see the big deal in paying for what XBL has to offer.

Well, this without any doubt. The share of 360 users that subscribe to Gold is really huge. But the fact that it's necessary even for just playing online multiplayer obviously helps it a lot.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:

Well, this without any doubt. The share of 360 users that subscribe to Gold is really huge. But the fact that it's necessary even for just playing online multiplayer obviously helps it a lot.

Of course, but if it was such a bad thing, people wouldn't be doing it regardless.

I like the Steam infrastructure, but not their prices. Neither the currency conversions, nor the actual prices. Their specials are great, no question about that. But out there in the non-DL world there are constantly low prices that often compare to Steam's specials, and I can choose whenever I want to instead of looking at random sales, never knowing what will come next and when title X's turn will come.

I've never paid for playing online though, and I don't think I ever will.

Mr Puggsly said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Despite what MS would wish, people perceive the difference from paying for things that are usually free.

Perhaps, but that doesn't stop people from paying apparently. Look at CoD Black Ops for example. People could go play it free on the PS3 and PC. Yet more people choose to pay Live fees to play online on the 360.

Paying for use, if the fee is modest, helps acceptance amongst people not playing too often, while a flat rate may be better for heavy gamers.

It all depends on the price difference of by the hour vs unlimited. I doubt the masses spend many hours playing online, so paying a small fee by the hour could be ideal for many.

Flexibility is of the essence, and it's a well known quality of Chinese businesspeople. MS OTOH has this old flaw of its of trying to force its business model on people by its sheer power.

This is just bullshit. You should have just left this out.

Not. MS tried more than once to switch from license to yearly subscription also for Windows and Office, most companies refused, as they often preferred to use their internal IT department or third parties for the additional services that MS offered (and more and better taylored ones too) and as they didn't find appealing to be able to always upgrade to the latest MS SW, that was the main selling point of subscription. Transforming its current rich business model in an even richer one based on fees generating a constant stream of money also from existing customers is the old MS dream. The fact that they include in the pay version of Live subscription even the minimum vital service of basic online multiplayer that is free everywhere else, is a clear demonstration that MS wants to force this model on users whenever it can. Unless you show me that 360 gamers just wanting basic online multiplayer and nothing else can get it for free like every other gamer.

Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Rainbird said:

Of course, but if it was such a bad thing, people wouldn't be doing it regardless.

If they like to play online XB exclusives, have they any choice? But yes, the whole package, XB360 plus its multiplayer best seller exclusives plus XBL Gold, is obviously liked a lot by a lot of people. I'd say, though, that multiplayer exclusives are the key factor of this success, not additional premium services. Halo did for MS what even Windows couldn't.

Antabus said:

What is steam?

Steam is a form of DRM, which is made because greedy publishers don't want the consumers to be able to sell the games they have bought with their hard earned money.

QFT. Steam is also a way of locking a game to one user, so if there are 2 people in the same household that would like seperate Modern Warfare 2 profiles(perks) they have to buy a second copy of the game.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling