By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Android users over taking I phone users in the U.S.

The number of smart phone owners who use Google's Android OS in the U.S. is almost as great as those who use Apple's iPhone, following a massive Android sales jump, according to tracking firm comScore.

In the three months ending in October, the share of Android users had risen sharply from 17 to 23.5 percent, says the report. Meanwhile, iPhone share couldn't even rise a single percent, going from 23.8 to 24.6 percent.

Neck and neck a month ago, Android will presumably pass iPhone in the current quarter, which includes the bulk of holiday sales. However, if, as expected, Apple introduces a Verizon-flavored iPhone in January, the tables could turn.

Meanwhile, RIM's fortunes fell again, as the BlackBerry lost 3.5 percent share. It is, nevertheless, still in the lead: 35.8 percent of smart phones in use in the U.S are BlackBerrys.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40493846/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

thought this was funny lol (the pic). I wanted a an iphone but since the EVO can do video chat without being at an airport lol (or any other wifi location)....I'm gonna go with that.

Around the Network

Poor Blackberry, the best of the three is falling, but at least android is moving on up as it should. 

Iphone is on one phone, one carrier.  I still cant believe people cant get that through their little head.  Amazing.

Damn artificial humans.  Stealing all our jobs for near free because they don't need to eat.

I'll wait for Stickball to comment as I get all of my mobile opinions from him.

Acevil said:

Poor Blackberry, the best of the three is falling, but at least android is moving on up as it should. 

I dont know how they are the best,  after getting my EVO I will never own another Blackberry again.  Blackberry just isnt meant for everyday people IMO.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

Iphone is on one phone, one carrier.  I still cant believe people cant get that through their little head.  Amazing.

Arent there 3 or 4 iPhone models though

Vetteman94 said:
Train wreck said:

Not to mention iPod touches use the same iOS as well as iPads. Are those counted or JUST the iPhone (since both iPod and iPad can do the same apps).

Vetteman94 said:
Acevil said:

I dont know how they are the best,  after getting my EVO I will never own another Blackberry again.  Blackberry just isnt meant for everyday people IMO.

Well, maybe it is because I am in Business.....and I dislike apple products. 

Good for Android.

What Train wreck means is that only Apple does the iphone (like RIM and blackberry).

Probably every major cell phone manufacturer does at least ONE android phone.

That's a lot of Android phones going up against a handful from RIM and a couple from Apple. 

nightsurge said:
Vetteman94 said:
Train wreck said:

Not to mention iPod touches use the same iOS as well as iPads. Are those counted or JUST the iPhone (since both iPod and iPad can do the same apps).

Android is still on 4 of the major carriers in the US while iPhone is on one of them.  I believe they only count actual iPhone activations.