By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Android users over taking I phone users in the U.S.

superchunk said:
justinian said:

Good for Android.

What Train wreck means is that only Apple does the iphone (like RIM and blackberry).

Probably every major cell phone manufacturer does at least ONE android phone.

That's a lot of Android phones going up against a handful from RIM and a couple from Apple. 

Problem with that argument is that its the same reason Apple lost the PC business. Apple is simply repeating its mistakes in phones and by end of next year the tablet market. Its not a reason to accept its losses, as Apple should have been better prepared for its eventual loss.

iProducts are not bad, just Blackberries are ok. But, what it comes down to is, as always, price and features. Androids offer FAR more choices in styles and feature sets and above all price.

In October and November I "purchased" two Samsung Fascinates for my wife and myself to replace our very much disliked Blackberries. Not only can they do the same features as the iPhone (less video chat), but they were FREE.

I knew a Verizon iPhone is coming but I also know it will cost $200 and be locked to Apple's way of doing things. So I chose the route of an equal experience for no cost. As will millions of others.

iPhone has only done really well on AT&T beause AT&T has just barely started caring decent Android versions. By end of next year when iPhone is on all carriers and AT&T has caught up with Verizon and others in Android offerings, this arguement will be even more silly as once again Apple will be in a far smaller market share to the dominant party.

I was simply putting forward a fact, not an argument.

Fact: Only apple does the iphone.

Fact: Android is available from many manufacturers giving far more options on cost, design and style of phone.

So when you say this argument will look silly I don't get it....but that doesn't matter.

With far more options available with android phones - and it being considered a v.good OS - it is only obvious that it has every chance to take the market lead.

As some analyst said "Apple don't need iphone to be the market leader anymore than Ferrari or Mercedes want their cars to be the no.1 seller, hence the price" - I am sure they won't turn it down though.

As for Apple's mistakes and repeated them I really am in no position to comment.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Euphoria14 said:

I just wish more devs would support Android devices but the problems lies in the fact that not all are the same. My Galaxy S for example is very very good for things like gaming because it is powerful in the graphics department and can hold a high framerate, but then you have phones like the Nexus One which is really fast but doesn't pack much of a punch gaming wise.

At least I still get the better PSX Emulator though.

thats what i do with my galaxy s as well - playing with snes, gameboy etc. emulators... without this option i realy would be angry about the fact that the galaxy is so powerful but there arent games using that power. except some gameloft etc. games which are a little bit better in graphics than the market games.

This is what I am currently looking at. With so many different phones with a range of power, graphics and design which one should I get for games etc.,?

I was looking at the Nexus so thanks for the info regarding it's gaming potential.

I LOVE my Droid 2 but if iPhone was with Verizon, you btter believe that's what I'd be posting from, right now.  Apple F'd up by going exclusive for so long.  

I have to agree. It's not really fair to compare android phones to the iPhone. Android is a phone OS where as the iPhone is an entire hardware/software entity. It would be similar to compare the difference of the Wii vs Windows. Windows can install on all sorts of hardware because it's a generic OS where as the Wii and Wii OS are specifically one machine.

So it's not really a fair comparison at all. Seems more like groups that want to bash on Apple propagate this misinformation. It would be more accurate to compare Sony Erricson or a a specific LG Brand line rather than the whole of OS.

In light of that. For a software developer this becomes a different matter. IF Android phones become the major OS then from a developers point of view they may be better off focusing on Android apps into their development cycles and eventually use Android as the lead platform.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

d21lewis said:

I LOVE my Droid 2 but if iPhone was with Verizon, you btter believe that's what I'd be posting from, right now.  Apple F'd up by going exclusive for so long.  

I'm not sure why they did, why limit themselves?  I understand that developing the phone for sprint/verizon would be a bit different considering the networks they use but the iphone could easily went to tmobile. Wait...does the iphone use a sim card like other gsm phones?

Around the Network
Xbbjf9s said:
d21lewis said:

I'm not sure why they did, why limit themselves?  I understand that developing the phone for sprint/verizon would be a bit different considering the networks they use but the iphone could easily went to tmobile. Wait...does the iphone use a sim card like other gsm phones?

To answer your first question, Apple limited themselves to AT&T because that was the price of entry into the US smartphone market. You can't succeed by just selling a phone in the US, you need the carriers to showcase, distribute, most importantly, to subsidize the handset. Verizon passed on the original iPhone because Apple insisted that they, not Verizon, would have absolute control over the software. AT&T was willing to concede software control in exchange for exclusivity, so they inked a deal with Apple. It's one of the best deals that either company has ever made.

Compare that to the Nexus One, which tried to ditch the carriers and, correct me if I'm wrong, failed to even sell a million units, despite having excellent hardware and better software support than any Android phone before or since.

To answer your second question, yes the iPhone uses a standard SIM card.

Nightsurge brings up an important point by mentioning the iPod Touch. While Symbian, Android, and others have been considering themselves to be phone platforms, Apple immediately started to position themselves as a mobile computing platform. It's a subtle, but important, distinction that Apple treats the iPhone as a computer that can make calls rather than a phone that can run programs. It's allowed them to leverage their MP3 player hegemony and recreate the tablet computer in support of their mobile ecosystem. No other mobile platform will really be a threat to iOS until its software market starts to be anywhere near as lucrative as the App Store.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
Xbbjf9s said:
d21lewis said:

To answer your first question, Apple limited themselves to AT&T because that was the price of entry into the US smartphone market. You can't succeed by just selling a phone in the US, you need the carriers to showcase, distribute, most importantly, to subsidize the handset. Verizon passed on the original iPhone because Apple insisted that they, not Verizon, would have absolute control over the software. AT&T was willing to concede software control in exchange for exclusivity, so they inked a deal with Apple. It's one of the best deals that either company has ever made.

Compare that to the Nexus One, which tried to ditch the carriers and, correct me if I'm wrong, failed to even sell a million units, despite having excellent hardware and better software support than any Android phone before or since.

To answer your second question, yes the iPhone uses a standard SIM card.

Nightsurge brings up an important point by mentioning the iPod Touch. While Symbian, Android, and others have been considering themselves to be phone platforms, Apple immediately started to position themselves as a mobile computing platform. It's a subtle, but important, distinction that Apple treats the iPhone as a computer that can make calls rather than a phone that can run programs. It's allowed them to leverage their MP3 player hegemony and recreate the tablet computer in support of their mobile ecosystem. No other mobile platform will really be a threat to iOS until its software market starts to be anywhere near as lucrative as the App Store.

Actually, Android has had iPod-like devices for quite some time. They also did tablets before the iPad came out through Archos.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Android is Linux based Iphone is Mac OS based, everyone except some narrow minded individuals, can see which is the better platform. Hopefully Windows 7 phones also start to do well.

mundus6 said:

Android is Linux based Iphone is Mac OS based, everyone except some narrow minded individuals, can see which is the better platform. Hopefully Windows 7 phones also start to do well.

Most consumers do not want custom based platforms. They just want it done for them. They are not narrow minded for that. Wanting an Iphone over an android phone is not the same as wanted a MAC over a Linux anyways. 

radiantshadow92 said:
mundus6 said:

Most consumers do not want custom based platforms. They just want it done for them. They are not narrow minded for that. Wanting an Iphone over an android phone is not the same as wanted a MAC over a Linux anyways. 

I was talking about the programing side of things, which i know has nothing to do with sales what so ever. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear.