By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 first week numbers. How do you think it did?

GT5 first week numbers. How do you think it did?

Great 154 29.73%

Good 178 34.36%

Average 85 16.41%

Not so good 46 8.88%

Disappointing 55 10.62%

Total:518
Immortal said:

It's kinda hillarious that every time there's a poll on this site involving anything Sony, the most positive answer always gets more votes. Tells you something about it's usebase, :P.

Anyway, whilst it did amazing just for a game, it did low/average compared to the expectations.

it doesnt say anything. out of the enitre ps3 userbase, maybe only 1% visits this site.  not everyone that buys a games console is a gaming nutcase that goes on games websites 24/7

Around the Network
DemOps said:

I had a feeling people would end up disappointed, Gran Turismo is a really big game but people were making it out to be Halo, GTA or COD big and it isnt.

it seems you misunderstood them people. everyone knows GT games dont sell 6 million on their first week but its the lifetime sales of them that impresses and is on the same level as them games. its highest sales in the series was 14.89 million. which is higher than any halo game and near GTA and cod level sales overall. is everyones eyes really that narrow? look at the bigger picture. its not like the games vanishes after its first 7 days of sales lol.

DemOps said:

I had a feeling people would end up disappointed, Gran Turismo is a really big game but people were making it out to be Halo, GTA or COD big and it isnt.

I have a feeling that you did not read up the facts.

Each GT entry(10.85m, 9.37m, 14.89m, 10.58m) have consistently sold higher than each entry in the Halo series except for Halo 3 which stands at 11m. It is on par with the GTA series and have been bigger than COD in the past until MW came out. Read up your facts before commenting, boy.

DemOps said:

Oh, Ill take back what I said. You are a low brow fanboy indeed. Stop inciting flame wars. 1 post. *snigger*

Once again we see people showing they don't know how the sales curves are for a GT game.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

People are concentrating too much on first day or first week sales this gen.

This game will be one of the most successful PS3 games, probably even the most successful one and its first > 10 million seller.

Just thought i would point out GT4 sold 50% of it's total sales at by 8 weeks point. 40% by its first 4 weeks and 35% by its first 2 weeks on sale. Prologue followed pretty much the same pattern.

So assuming GT5 follows the same pattern as the other 2 games the first week sales indicated 25% of potential total sales meaning GT5 would just make it to 8m units.

Of course that only counts if the pattern is followed. Anything could happen to change it. I doubt there will be another 6 years until the next GT game this time around so that could effect it to. If we get another GT game in 2 years that will effect sales massively.

Average. Better than GT4 in EMEAA, worse in Japan and America. I expected ~2.5M WW, given first two days sales.

In USA IMVHO simultaneous heavy bundling of Forza 3 and XB360 damaged it, I guess that when MS will launch Forza 4, Sony will pay it back with heavy bundling of GT5 and PS3.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

CGI-Quality said:

ioi predicted 10 million as well, and I think we'll agree that his statements are hardly "idiotic".

Besides, 5 million is what Prologue did, and it didn't start off like GT5. GT5 will easily clear 5mill, and 10 million isn't out of the question. Looking back @ GT4, GT5's numbers account for less days, and it only sold 500,000 less than it. That isn't really a strong sign of franchise decline. The only shooters this gen with large numbers are CoD, Gears, & Halo. One of those (Halo) was already big to begin with (previous gen).

I never understand why people think so many shooters sell so big. It's really not many.

GT5 Prologue did 5 million courtesy of heavy bundling. Both physical and digital copies.

OT: I would say good. I think GT5 just didn't hit a lot expectations. The most noteworthy is It failed to pass GT4's opening and the PS3 didn't outsell the 360.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

CGI-Quality said:
Mr Puggsly said:
CGI-Quality said:

ioi predicted 10 million as well, and I think we'll agree that his statements are hardly "idiotic".

Besides, 5 million is what Prologue did, and it didn't start off like GT5. GT5 will easily clear 5mill, and 10 million isn't out of the question. Looking back @ GT4, GT5's numbers account for less days, and it only sold 500,000 less than it. That isn't really a strong sign of franchise decline. The only shooters this gen with large numbers are CoD, Gears, & Halo. One of those (Halo) was already big to begin with (previous gen).

I never understand why people think so many shooters sell so big. It's really not many.

GT5 Prologue did 5 million courtesy of heavy bundling. Both physical and digital copies.

OT: I think GT5 just didn't hit a lot expectations. The most noteworthy is It failed to pass GT4's opening and the PS3 didn't outsell the 360.

We can make excuses all day. You don't think GT5 will have bundles?

Yeah, I'm sure it will. So Sony can boast about it hitting 10 million.

In fact, they won't even wait until they sell 10 million. They'll boast about 10 million shipped.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)