By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 first week numbers. How do you think it did?

GT5 first week numbers. How do you think it did?

Great 154 29.73%

Good 178 34.36%

Average 85 16.41%

Not so good 46 8.88%

Disappointing 55 10.62%

Total:518
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
Immortal said:

It's kinda hillarious that every time there's a poll on this site involving anything Sony, the most positive answer always gets more votes. Tells you something about its userbase, :P.

Anyway, whilst it did amazing just for a game, it did low/average compared to the expectations.

it doesnt say anything. out of the enitre ps3 userbase, maybe only 1% visits this site.  not everyone that buys a games console is a gaming nutcase that goes on games websites 24/7

Yeah, but Wii and, at least for now, 360, have significantly larger userbases. Considering that, a significantly higher proprtion of gaming nutcases who go on gaming websites 24/7 resides in the Playstation 3 base as opposed to 360 and especially Wii.

I wasn't talking about that though, :P. I was talking about the site's userbase. This site (like pretty much everything else online) is dominated by Playstation fans.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
hatmoza said:

I put 'good'. These are technically the first four days of sales for GT5. I'll let you know if I'm disappointed next week.

Yeah, pretty much this (not to mention, most of us forget what this franchise does). It's not a first week franchise and die off. And let's remember this, the only racing franchise that competes/clears GT is Mario Kart. Also, relative to forum go-ers expectations, what were the real expectations? If Sony expected much more, I'd say it underperformed. But I can't see them being too disappointed with this, especially considering PS3 vs PS2.

Legs will really tell the story, but for now, the sales are good (even though they are lower than I expected).

Eh, what other games are then? 0_o bit of an odd comment to make.

TBH Nobody knows what sort of legs this game will have. We have GT5P but wasn't that bundled in nearly every region? GT legs might have been good last gen, but so were a lot of franchises .... people are just happy to assume it's going to sell 5 fold over it's first week on very old data ..

What kind of question is this haha.  It sold over 2 million first week.  Of course that's great.  Most games never sell that in a lifetime let alone a week.  I mean sure there are other games this gen that have been bigger on the opening week than GT5 but that doesn't make these sales any less impressive.  Maybe some expectations were a little too high, but I think if I'm Sony and Polyphony Digital looking at this, then I'm quite pleased.

Next week's sales should be a bit more telling as far as how it's tracking. And of course it really won't be until the holiday season is over that there will be a clearer picture of how it should do overall.

Personally, I figured it would have sold closer to 2.5m in the first week, but there are always potential corrections.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
DemOps said:

I had a feeling people would end up disappointed, Gran Turismo is a really big game but people were making it out to be Halo, GTA or COD big and it isnt.

it seems you misunderstood them people. everyone knows GT games dont sell 6 million on their first week but its the lifetime sales of them that impresses and is on the same level as them games. its highest sales in the series was 14.89 million. which is higher than any halo game and near GTA and cod level sales overall. is everyones eyes really that narrow? look at the bigger picture. its not like the games vanishes after its first 7 days of sales lol.

GT3 only sold 14.9 million copies because it was heavily bundled, if it hasnt been then Halo 3 would have more sales.

Around the Network
Yuyyder said:
DemOps said:

I had a feeling people would end up disappointed, Gran Turismo is a really big game but people were making it out to be Halo, GTA or COD big and it isnt.

I have a feeling that you did not read up the facts.

Each GT entry(10.85m, 9.37m, 14.89m, 10.58m) have consistently sold higher than each entry in the Halo series except for Halo 3 which stands at 11m. It is on par with the GTA series and have been bigger than COD in the past until MW came out. Read up your facts before commenting, boy.

The Xbox didnt sell half of what the PS1 did and Halo 2 still sold 8 million not far from GT2. If GT3 wasnt heavily bundled Halo 3 would have outsold all the GT games. GT5 Prologue sold about 5 million, Halo 3 OSDST sold 6 million.

It is not on par with the GTA series, GTA Vice City over 16 million copies,  San Andreas over 20 million copies, GTAIV over 15 million copies. GT1,2 and 4 did around 10. The only reason you think its on par is because of that one game GT3 which was heavily bundled.

Most things were bigger than COD before MW.

So you shouldnt be talking about facts eh?

Their good. But GT5 is all about legs. I still think that it can reach 10 Million lifetime.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I'm still convinced Vgchartz screwed up the numbers so bad, there is no way it sold nothing on black friday.

Sony should've done better with the advertising. A couple of days before the GT5 launch, I haven't seen any GT5 ads. But just yesterday I've seen a GT5 ad while watching G4 and some during the Heat / Cav's game. Or should I say Lebron's dominant return ?! But the advertising could've been better.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

stopstopp said:

I'm still convinced Vgchartz screwed up the numbers so bad, there is no way it sold nothing on black friday.

Adjustments do ahppen often enough.  Just wait for PD numbers.

WIth little to no ads, it did great.  I'm now seeing GT5 ads on Tv on a regular basis.