By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Game of the Year (GOTY) Awards 2010

GameSpy

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

I think gamespot will give the goty this year to red dead redemption, and IGN will give it to Mass Effect 2.

I see it exactly like that too.  The hints are all there already.

Then again, I thought ME2 was going to win GotY at the VGA's too when Bioware won Developer of the Year ...

The whole list is here

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2010/10/2010-game-of-year.html

VGChartz should be added.

Mass Effect 2 deserves GOTY just as much as say SMG2 or RDR. Can't wait for Mass Effect 3

---

Around the Network

edit never mind I see this has been superseded 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Fab_GS said:

The whole list is here

http://gotypicks.blogspot.com/2010/10/2010-game-of-year.html

Good site. Makes this thread redundant

GOTY 2003 - Star Wars KOTOR
GOTY 2004 - Half-Life 2
GOTY 2005 - Resident Evil 4
GOTY 2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
GOTY 2007 - Bioshock
GOTY 2008 - Fallout 3
GOTY 2009 - Uncharted 2
GOTY 2010 - Red Dead Redemption (though Mass Effect 2 isn't out of the race yet)

There's no question there's an anti Nintendo bias for these GotY awards. Ultimately years down the road people won't remember who won GotY from what source, but they will still be seeing all the incredible scores Super Mario Galaxy 2 got on Metacritic and Gamerankings. Fundamentally there's absolutely nothing wrong with the game, it's probably the peak of 3-D platforming, and it evolves and expands the series every bit as much as Uncharted 2 evolved that series, or Mass Effect 2 evolved that series. I can see arguaments for not giving SMG2 game of the year because there were other amazing games; however seeing it, the highest rated game of the year hands down, as a distant third in GotY awards, shows that there's pressure to give the award to the big budget titles. Nintendo simply doesn't have a fair shot in this contest.

Christopher_G2 said:

There's no question there's an anti Nintendo bias for these GotY awards. Ultimately years down the road people won't remember who won GotY from what source, but they will still be seeing all the incredible scores Super Mario Galaxy 2 got on Metacritic and Gamerankings. Fundamentally there's absolutely nothing wrong with the game, it's probably the peak of 3-D platforming, and it evolves and expands the series every bit as much as Uncharted 2 evolved that series, or Mass Effect 2 evolved that series. I can see arguaments for not giving SMG2 game of the year because there were other amazing games; however seeing it, the highest rated game of the year hands down, as a distant third in GotY awards, shows that there's pressure to give the award to the big budget titles. Nintendo simply doesn't have a fair shot in this contest.

GTA IV didn't win the most GOTY awards either.