By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FINAL FANTASY XIII CROSSES 6 MILLION Units!

FINAL FANTASY XIII CROSSES 6 MILLION Units!

6.25 Million 19 13.77%

6.50 Million 17 12.32%

6.75 Million 16 11.59%

7.00 Million 32 23.19%

7.25 Million 7 5.07%

7.50 Million 46 33.33%

Total:137
A203D said:
ishiki said:
A203D said:
ishiki said:
Darc Requiem said:

Great this joke of JRPG hits 6 million when quality games like Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Demon's Souls don't sell near as much.

think of it this way. This will make you feel even better

FFXIII on ps3 only. Oustsold all of those combined XD

Tbh, FF13 has been in the 360 bargain bin for the last few months, its been pretty cheap on the PS3 as well, so its not like that 6 mil has come easily, and i'm sure the expectation of Wada was to meet FF7s sales, despite what he said about 6 mil. i dont think they scrapped the PS2 version, developed a new game engine and sold out to Microsoft, only to be 4 mil short of FF7s sales imo.

you can think what you want. Nobody's stopping you.

I can want to be god, but that doesn't make it so. But I'm god anyways.

Fair enough, my point was that i think, imho, Wada and SE wanted 10 mil units sold; to reach the sales of FF7 and i think FF13 was meant to be the biggest FF. i'm not saying thats true, thats just how i felt around the hype and the marketing, using Leonia Lewis's star power, instead of the original song, the big annoucement hype, massive launch events, (i actully have my copy signed by Kitase and Kamiyoko  when they came to England, and it was huge). thats how i feel about it i'm not saying i'm right.

you can still be a god though.

You can't just make up expectations of a company based on what you saw of the hype, their expectations are what they give out (6 Million), PS3 and Wii fans keep saying this when I say some of their first party games disappointed in sales (Modnations Racers, Killzone 2, Monster Hunter Tri), they say they matched the companies expectations so I am "trolling" if I say they disappointed ins ales, same should apply to FF13. Massive launch events? I know every Final Fantasy has had them, I remember my friends going to the FF12 one in London, Wada was there. 

Around the Network
The Xbox Man said:

You can't just make up expectations of a company based on what you saw of the hype, their expectations are what they give out (6 Million), PS3 and Wii fans keep saying this when I say some of their first party games disappointed in sales (Modnations Racers, Killzone 2, Monster Hunter Tri), they say they matched the companies expectations so I am "trolling" if I say they disappointed ins ales, same should apply to FF13. Massive launch events? I know every Final Fantasy has had them, I remember my friends going to the FF12 one in London, Wada was there. 

I could be mistaken, but didn't Wada actually aim for a goal of 10 million units sold?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
The Xbox Man said:

I could be mistaken, but didn't Wada actually aim for a goal of 10 million units sold?

6 Million according to the reference in the OP, this link.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6230719.html 

The Xbox Man said:

Like i said, imo. 10 mil is about what was sold for FF7, i i've read somewhere that FF10 was meant to meet that success, it didnt, and i think based on all the things i mentioned, like scrapped development on the PS2, massive campagain, advertising with Leonia Lewis, brand new game engine etc. i think they did all those things so they could meet the sales of FF7.

Wada is very ambitious, he wants SE to be a huge worldwide company, hes talked about this before interviews, and the way they were trying to target the western market, by comparing FF13 to things like Lost or Call of Duty, seems to me like they wanted it to be the biggest FF and they wanted to meet the sales of FF7.

this is the rational behind my thinking, i havent just pulled this figure out of the air, i think FF13 was meant to be the best selling and the biggest FF ever, the hype around it was massive!!

The Xbox Man said:
huaxiong90 said:
The Xbox Man said:

Granted, but I do remember seeing something about him mentioning 10 million units sold...

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
huaxiong90 said:
The Xbox Man said:
huaxiong90 said:
The Xbox Man said:

Granted, but I do remember seeing something about him mentioning 10 million units sold...

I remember hearing something about this a long, long time ago. but after a while i think they realised it wasnt going to happen so they lowered it to 6 mil. if i can find the source i will post it!!

GOT IT:

http://forums.gamewinners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590530

not sure how accurate the source is, but here Yochi Wada states FF13 should outsell FF7. if i can find more than one source with the same thing, it will be hard proof i think. of course, this was a long time ago, when they released it couldnt happen, they lowered it to 6 mil.

at the moment i accept this is not proof, its only one source, but still...

A203D said:
The Xbox Man said:

Like i said, imo. 10 mil is about what was sold for FF7, i i've read somewhere that FF10 was meant to meet that success, it didnt, and i think based on all the things i mentioned, like scrapped development on the PS2, massive campagain, advertising with Leonia Lewis, brand new game engine etc. i think they did all those things so they could meet the sales of FF7.

Wada is very ambitious, he wants SE to be a huge worldwide company, hes talked about this before interviews, and the way they were trying to target the western market, by comparing FF13 to things like Lost or Call of Duty, seems to me like they wanted it to be the biggest FF and they wanted to meet the sales of FF7.

this is the rational behind my thinking, i havent just pulled this figure out of the air, i think FF13 was meant to be the best selling and the biggest FF ever, the hype around it was massive!!

Its not a matter of opinion, this isn't a subjective topic. The company quoted they expect 6 Million sold, there's nothing more to it than that.

The hype around previous Final Fantasy titles was just as big, FF8 and FF10 has more hype, back then a lot of the media and mainstream public still cared about JRPG's. The hype for FF13 isn't as big as you think it was.

A203D said:
ishiki said:

you can think what you want. Nobody's stopping you.

I can want to be god, but that doesn't make it so. But I'm god anyways.

Fair enough, my point was that i think, imho, Wada and SE wanted 10 mil units sold; to reach the sales of FF7 and i think FF13 was meant to be the biggest FF. i'm not saying thats true, thats just how i felt around the hype and the marketing, using Leonia Lewis's star power, instead of the original song, the big annoucement hype, massive launch events, (i actully have my copy signed by Kitase and Kamiyoko  when they came to England, and it was huge). thats how i feel about it i'm not saying i'm right.

you can still be a god though.

thanks ;)

I'm not denying wada said that. He did in fact say that. I'm just taking the stance that he was talking out of his ass without consulting his marketing team or whatever. without evidence ofcourse. Since, atleast in some of my experience, bosses like to do that.

I'm jealous of your copy though ;( and you dont' even like the game! haha