By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FINAL FANTASY XIII CROSSES 6 MILLION Units!

FINAL FANTASY XIII CROSSES 6 MILLION Units!

6.25 Million 19 13.77%

6.50 Million 17 12.32%

6.75 Million 16 11.59%

7.00 Million 32 23.19%

7.25 Million 7 5.07%

7.50 Million 46 33.33%

Total:137

Very nice sales, it does deserves more. Its among the best games I've played this generation and one of the best Final Fantasy titles. I voted 7.25 Million in the poll. This generation is going to be long so I'd imagine its got more time to sell over the generation.

Around the Network

Great this joke of JRPG hits 6 million when quality games like Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Demon's Souls don't sell near as much.

Darc Requiem said:

Great this joke of JRPG hits 6 million when quality games like Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Demon's Souls don't sell near as much.

I've played all the games you said and found this much better. Besides considering that piece of shit Final Fantasy 8 sold even more why are you so surprised, the series has shown even crappy games like FF8 can sell a lot.

Darc Requiem said:

think of it this way. This will make you feel even better

FFXIII on ps3 only. Oustsold all of those combined XD

ishiki said:
Darc Requiem said:

Tbh, FF13 has been in the 360 bargain bin for the last few months, its been pretty cheap on the PS3 as well, so its not like that 6 mil has come easily, and i'm sure the expectation of Wada was to meet FF7s sales, despite what he said about 6 mil. i dont think they scrapped the PS2 version, developed a new game engine and sold out to Microsoft, only to be 4 mil short of FF7s sales imo.

Around the Network
A203D said:
ishiki said:
Darc Requiem said:

Tbh, FF13 has been in the 360 bargain bin for the last few months, its been pretty cheap on the PS3 as well, so its not like that 6 mil has come easily, and i'm sure the expectation of Wada was to meet FF7s sales, despite what he said about 6 mil. i dont think they scrapped the PS2 version, developed a new game engine and sold out to Microsoft, only to be 4 mil short of FF7s sales imo.

you can think what you want. Nobody's stopping you.

I can want to be god, but that doesn't make it so. But I'm god anyways.

Jdevil3 said

Well, they COULD use more discs... but they will have to pay more royalties to MS, more printing costs, etc... there might be a point where adding more discs isn't a good idea anymore. And remember they would have to make a choice, make the users change discs when they want to go back to an already visited area, or make some areas only accessible during certain points in the game (only on certain discs). I think I remember FFXIII had 9GB of game data and the rest was just cutscenes. If they wanted to put all areas in all discs to let you revisit old areas it would be impossible because each disc would need to hold the 9GBs AND the cutscenes (Example: Disc 1=9GBs of game data and Disc 1 cutscenes, there's not enough space for all that). Anyways, revisiting old areas in FFXIII is pretty pointless since there isn't much left to do xD.

Since Final Fantasy Versus XIII is "open world" with a world-map, airships and cars to travel all around the world, they will have to either make the users switch discs every time they go to an area that's not in the disc they have in their console, or close older areas so that they can only have access to the ones that you will have to go to in that disc because of the story... if they pick the second choice, then sacrifices will have to be made to the PS3 version so that both are equal.

Maybe they could remake all cutscenes and make them in-game (not pre-rendered, like most cutscenes in God of War III for example) so that the discs problem doesn't affect the game that much.

But anyways, when I said it had to be exclusive I was just refering to the fact that exclusives receive a lot more hype than multiplatform games and they tend to sell better than multiplats, not the quality of the game, just the hype and sales :P. I think had Heavy rain not been an exclusive title, It would've sold half of what it sold being an exclusive.

Yeah, I remember someone saying something like "We can't commit ourselves to 2011" implying it would probably not be released in 2011... but who knows? They've been working on this game for so freaking long I think it should go Gold in 6 months from now considering stuff they've been saying like "we have most of the locations already completed, we just need to connect them", "The script is already complete", "Voice casting has begun" (I didn't use the exact words in any of those citations, but they said simillar stuff)... All that should mean that they're close to finishing the game. Besides, they've been working on "details" that aren't that important to finishing the product and should only be done when you are close to the final stages of development... like the clouds using calculations to move around the sky and change the way lightning/shadows are shown.

I guess whatever the code is (if it even is a code for something) we will only learn it's meaning during the conference... And yes, the conference is close and the holidays go by pretty fast so it won't be a long wait to find out... I just hope it's something good.

Well this is the problem, 9GB spent on the actual game, and the rest was cutscenes, its these cutscenes that took up the space on the disk, i think if FFversus has less cutscenes then it wont be a problem to have 1 maybe 2 disks on the 360, then you just swap disks back and forth. i know what you mean, they spent ages porting FF13 to the 360, when it could have been spent more productively. but i dont think Wada will ignore, 1.6 million units sold unfortunatly.

i think there was about 6 hours of cutscenes using the in game, game engine, so not pre-rendered. i think this still takes up all the space on the disk. because its prerecorded with motion capture and voice acting, etc. so imo they just need to trim this down to what, 3 or 4 hours and its okay. but your right, the world map, airships, etc will take up so much space, they might not do a 360 release (remember FF14, Microsoft werent interested), so if they dont want to pay royalities.

yeah i know what you meant when you said exclusive, Heavy Rain, stuff like that, but imo its better for Sony if 3rd party games go multiplatform. hear me out.... if you remember PS1 and PS2, the 3rd party games, far outclassed and outshadowed all the 1st party games.

stuff like Legend of Dragoon, God of War, Twisted Metal, Team Ico, Jak and Daxtar, etc (loads more), were great games, but they forgotten, because of GT, GTA, FF, MGS, etc. now those 3rd parties are gone, (expect of course GT5, which is 1st party), the Sony 1st party has recieved enormous reception, i dont think a game like Demon's Souls, or Heavy Rain, or Uncharted 2 would've been as successful as they are now, if that massive 3rd party support was still here. so while its cool if FFversus stays, it not so bad, i dont know if it can help another FF sell 8 mil, because FF hasnt sold 8 mil in over 7 or 8 years, since FF10. but it will be better for FF if it stays, because it will come out quicker and more likely be a better game.

tbh, i think there will be a big announcement in Jan, for a 2011 release date, its been 5 years at least, or it might be an announcement for FF13-2. but then theres KH3, as well. but i think it will be 2011, because they've had far too much time already. and they've also had 1 year now since FF13, so its BS if they havent finished it yet. WTF have they been doing in 5 years man.

When is Xbox 360 version being released in Japan?

ishiki said:
A203D said:
ishiki said:
Darc Requiem said:

you can think what you want. Nobody's stopping you.

I can want to be god, but that doesn't make it so. But I'm god anyways.

Fair enough, my point was that i think, imho, Wada and SE wanted 10 mil units sold; to reach the sales of FF7 and i think FF13 was meant to be the biggest FF. i'm not saying thats true, thats just how i felt around the hype and the marketing, using Leonia Lewis's star power, instead of the original song, the big annoucement hype, massive launch events, (i actully have my copy signed by Kitase and Kamiyoko  when they came to England, and it was huge). thats how i feel about it i'm not saying i'm right.

you can still be a god though.

Well, congrats FFXIII. Now if only Valkyria Chronicles and Lost Odyssey (flawed as it is) could break 2 million at least. =(

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!