By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Flat tax rate system should be enforced now.

Flat tax rate system should be enforced now.

Sounds like a fair tax system. Sign me up!!! 22 24.44%

Another crazy numonex thread!!! 13 14.44%

You have got to be kidding me!!! 48 53.33%

Candy!!! 7 7.78%

Total:90
johnsobas said:
Baalzamon said:
Username2324 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Well i like my taxes the way they are. But here in Canada our medical and water is covered in our taxes and our own state medical. I feel sorry for everyone in the US who dies because they don't have the money for medical treatment. Also I think the rich should be taxed more. They are gaining more from your society so they should give more back. If a poor man looses 10% in taxes and is forced to live on the streets do to lack of finances a rich man who makes say over 200K should have to pay 15% or so maybe even 20% if you make a mill or so.

The wealthy should help those they are using to get rich. In a country of democracy all citizens should be given equal rights and the rich should not be in such a powerful position compared to the poor. I mean seriously this is how democracies got started the poor people over through the nobels to create democracy.

If you are insainly wealthy you should give back if not voluntarily through taxes. Give back to all those people buying your products and paying for your lifestyle.

So the rich should put more into the system even though they get same out?

Say the tax rate is flat and at 10%. Someone making 25k puts 2500 into the system. Out of it they get highways, police safety, education for their children and all the other government funded service. Now you have a gentlemen that makes 250k a year putting 25k into the system and he doesnt get anything more out of the system then the fellow that only put 2500 in, even though he put in 10 times more. Fair? Hell no.

Now I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not terribly wealthy.... Now why is that? Are you lazy? Maybe. Perhaps you live a comfortable lifestyle and you're cool with that. But why should someone who goes out and busts their butt to make it big have to put more into the system than you?

50% of the American population pays $0 into the federal tax system. Some of that 50% actually get money back. So who's paying for all the government funded organizations? The wealthy are. And you all just think since they already fund everything they should just give up more? These people get nothing out of the system because they managed to make it on their own. And they should pay even more?

As to the bolded statement above. Yeah Bill Gates and Steve Jobs giving you the Personal Computer, that's no big deal. Everyone on this forum hardly uses a computer anyways, they didn't really give us anything good.

Generally people buy a product because it makes life easier, but you're right, all those people who invented helpful stuff, they don't deserve a single penny they have made off of it. We'd all be better off without any conveniences.

I hope this next part doesn't land the ban hammer on my head, but you all need to get your heads out of your asses (atleast those who say the rich should be taxed more). Rich people are rich because they put forth the effort to become rich. And in the process they've made the rest of your lives alot easier. (Now is this universal among rich people, no but for the most part) And instead of thanking them you all just want to take their shit.

Now a flat tax system is probably as fair as it can get for rich people, but if you want fair then they should actually pay a smaller percentage and even then they'd be paying more than everyone else.

The funniest thing people just don't realize is the following: If you would start everybody off with $0 again.  Give the current poor people salaries equal to twice as much as the current rich people.  20 years down the road, it will be almost the exact same people that are rich, and the exact same people that are poor. 

For a majority of life, it is your own choices that will lead to "success" in life.  Even people that lose their job...if you would follow any financial plan at all, they pretty much all say you should have at least 1/2 year of income saved in an easily accessible account (often referred to as an emergency fund), so please don't try using this as an excuse for why people get so far in the hole.  These people that will wind up poorer get there because they go buy a brand new expensive house, brand new expensive car, brand new this, brand new that, and have every dollar they make going out the door each month.  They lose their job, obviously they will be screwed over.

It has a lot more to do with your family and upbringing then it does anything else.  You can't change the habits of a 40 year old poor man.  Fact is though, you are far more likely to be one of those poor people due to factors that are out of your control.  They're not all lazy, much of it has to do with human psychology.  I mean if you swapped babies with the poor and rich person they will probably grow up to be like their parents that raised them not the blood relatives.  

All the multi-millionaire, billionaires and Royal Family offspring have worked hard for their huge inheritances and attend all the Ivy League colleges.

Money can buy people anything especially social class status, social networks and business connections to help people succeed in life or maintain status quo.  

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:
johnsobas said:
Baalzamon said:
Username2324 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Well i like my taxes the way they are. But here in Canada our medical and water is covered in our taxes and our own state medical. I feel sorry for everyone in the US who dies because they don't have the money for medical treatment. Also I think the rich should be taxed more. They are gaining more from your society so they should give more back. If a poor man looses 10% in taxes and is forced to live on the streets do to lack of finances a rich man who makes say over 200K should have to pay 15% or so maybe even 20% if you make a mill or so.

The wealthy should help those they are using to get rich. In a country of democracy all citizens should be given equal rights and the rich should not be in such a powerful position compared to the poor. I mean seriously this is how democracies got started the poor people over through the nobels to create democracy.

If you are insainly wealthy you should give back if not voluntarily through taxes. Give back to all those people buying your products and paying for your lifestyle.

Say the tax rate is flat and at 10%. Someone making 25k puts 2500 into the system. Out of it they get highways, police safety, education for their children and all the other government funded service. Now you have a gentlemen that makes 250k a year putting 25k into the system and he doesnt get anything more out of the system then the fellow that only put 2500 in, even though he put in 10 times more. Fair? Hell no.

Now I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not terribly wealthy.... Now why is that? Are you lazy? Maybe. Perhaps you live a comfortable lifestyle and you're cool with that. But why should someone who goes out and busts their butt to make it big have to put more into the system than you?

50% of the American population pays $0 into the federal tax system. Some of that 50% actually get money back. So who's paying for all the government funded organizations? The wealthy are. And you all just think since they already fund everything they should just give up more? These people get nothing out of the system because they managed to make it on their own. And they should pay even more?

As to the bolded statement above. Yeah Bill Gates and Steve Jobs giving you the Personal Computer, that's no big deal. Everyone on this forum hardly uses a computer anyways, they didn't really give us anything good.

Generally people buy a product because it makes life easier, but you're right, all those people who invented helpful stuff, they don't deserve a single penny they have made off of it. We'd all be better off without any conveniences.

I hope this next part doesn't land the ban hammer on my head, but you all need to get your heads out of your asses (atleast those who say the rich should be taxed more). Rich people are rich because they put forth the effort to become rich. And in the process they've made the rest of your lives alot easier. (Now is this universal among rich people, no but for the most part) And instead of thanking them you all just want to take their shit.

Now a flat tax system is probably as fair as it can get for rich people, but if you want fair then they should actually pay a smaller percentage and even then they'd be paying more than everyone else.

The funniest thing people just don't realize is the following: If you would start everybody off with $0 again.  Give the current poor people salaries equal to twice as much as the current rich people.  20 years down the road, it will be almost the exact same people that are rich, and the exact same people that are poor. 

For a majority of life, it is your own choices that will lead to "success" in life.  Even people that lose their job...if you would follow any financial plan at all, they pretty much all say you should have at least 1/2 year of income saved in an easily accessible account (often referred to as an emergency fund), so please don't try using this as an excuse for why people get so far in the hole.  These people that will wind up poorer get there because they go buy a brand new expensive house, brand new expensive car, brand new this, brand new that, and have every dollar they make going out the door each month.  They lose their job, obviously they will be screwed over.

It has a lot more to do with your family and upbringing then it does anything else.  You can't change the habits of a 40 year old poor man.  Fact is though, you are far more likely to be one of those poor people due to factors that are out of your control.  They're not all lazy, much of it has to do with human psychology.  I mean if you swapped babies with the poor and rich person they will probably grow up to be like their parents that raised them not the blood relatives.  

All the multi-millionaire, billionaires and Royal Family offspring have worked hard for their huge inheritances and attend all the Ivy League colleges.

Money can buy people anything especially social class status, social networks and business connections to help people succeed in life or maintain status quo.  

and a first class private education, first class college without having a 4.0 GPA, tutors, overseas trips, nowadays you can pay people off for first class internships that you couldn't get otherwise.  If you put enough money in a kid he is probably going to succeed with his education unless you have the worst kid ever or he has mental problems.  

Those 3 things you mention alone are a tremendous advantage.   

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

PS3beats360 said:
Kantor said:
flagship said:

If the American government disappeared  tomorrow who stands to lose more ,the man making minimum wage or the man taking home a million dollars?

Flat taxes aren't fair because the need for government services is disproportionate, someone making millions a year has far more need for the military, police and education system to safeguard their fortunes and ability to make more money by protecting our  country, foreign interests, travel systems, banks, stock system and to train their next group of employees.  

I'll use the example of the UK here, since it's pretty much the opposite of numonex's proposal.

Who uses state education? The poor.

Who uses the NHS (public healthcare)? The poor.

Who gets benefits and housing allowance? The poor.

Who pays significantly more tax than anyone else? The rich.

The poor are actually taking far more from society than the rich. Obviously I'm not saying that they should pay more tax, but is it really fair to then tax the poor at 0%, and the rich at 40-50%?

Police and military are needed to protect the rich people's assets. Police and military favours the rich over the poor and the rich need to pay towards police and military. 

Corporate bailouts to the tune of billions to bail out millionaire and billionaire corporate elites too big to fail. Corporate bailouts favour the rich and the rich need to pay taxes to fund their generous corporate bailouts. 

Corporate bailouts are just glorified loans, and don't really need any funding at all, because a well-chosen bailout will be profitable in the long term. That's exactly why the government does bail out at all.

And the police and military do no such thing.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
PS3beats360 said:
Kantor said:
flagship said:

If the American government disappeared  tomorrow who stands to lose more ,the man making minimum wage or the man taking home a million dollars?

Flat taxes aren't fair because the need for government services is disproportionate, someone making millions a year has far more need for the military, police and education system to safeguard their fortunes and ability to make more money by protecting our  country, foreign interests, travel systems, banks, stock system and to train their next group of employees.  

I'll use the example of the UK here, since it's pretty much the opposite of numonex's proposal.

Who uses state education? The poor.

Who uses the NHS (public healthcare)? The poor.

Who gets benefits and housing allowance? The poor.

Who pays significantly more tax than anyone else? The rich.

The poor are actually taking far more from society than the rich. Obviously I'm not saying that they should pay more tax, but is it really fair to then tax the poor at 0%, and the rich at 40-50%?

Police and military are needed to protect the rich people's assets. Police and military favours the rich over the poor and the rich need to pay towards police and military. 

Corporate bailouts to the tune of billions to bail out millionaire and billionaire corporate elites too big to fail. Corporate bailouts favour the rich and the rich need to pay taxes to fund their generous corporate bailouts. 

Corporate bailouts are just glorified loans, and don't really need any funding at all, because a well-chosen bailout will be profitable in the long term. That's exactly why the government does bail out at all.

And the police and military do no such thing.

Besides, whenever law and order breaks down... it seems like the rich gain more power, not lose it... because they can hire masses of poor to work for them.

johnsobas said:
Baalzamon said:
Username2324 said:
Joelcool7 said:

That's basically what I was getting at.  It is who you are raised to be that will affect it.  Somebody who is raised to buy expensive stuff all the time and just go crazy with their money will just go crazier when they get a lot more.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
johnsobas said:
Baalzamon said:
Username2324 said:
Joelcool7 said:

That's basically what I was getting at.  It is who you are raised to be that will affect it.  Somebody who is raised to buy expensive stuff all the time and just go crazy with their money will just go crazier when they get a lot more.

Of course there are a few luck people like Paris Hilton who can spend like a drunken sailor but stay rich, but that again that's what those people's fathers worked for.  So that their kids could be taken care of no matter how dumb they may be.

It's funny... I have this one friend who's dad is a millionaire.  Only rich friend i've ever had.

You know what he does for a living?  He works in a paint factory as a manager, worked his way up from basic level guy.

Never even ent to college.  He could of eaisly just coasted and lived off his parents or he could of even just went to college with his parents money... but I guess he just wanted to prove he could make a success of himself without needing his parents help.

It's funny I think he's way happier with his job then he'd of ever been if he'd relied on his parents for anything.

Kasz216 said:
Baalzamon said:
johnsobas said:
Baalzamon said:
Username2324 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Of course there are a few luck people like Paris Hilton who can spend like a drunken sailor but stay rich, but that again that's what those people's fathers worked for.  So that their kids could be taken care of no matter how dumb they may be.

It's funny... I have this one friend who's dad is a millionaire.  Only rich friend i've ever had.

You know what he does for a living?  He works in a paint factory as a manager, worked his way up from basic level guy.

Never even ent to college.  He could of eaisly just coasted and lived off his parents or he could of even just went to college with his parents money... but I guess he just wanted to prove he could make a success of himself without needing his parents help.

It's funny I think he's way happier with his job then he'd of ever been if he'd relied on his parents for anything.

It's people like that where even if there parents did give them money, it would jsut sit in a bank account anyways.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

johnsobas said:
FreeTalkLive said:

Yes, certainly, most of those problems in the US are created by government policy and government workers.  But the voters select the elected officials so they have some blame in this.  The way the average American voter votes, it's like they don't want to live in a better world.  They are likely just ignorant of reality.

this is simply not true though.  The illusion of choice is ridiculous.  You can choose from 2 extremely similar candidates that get all the funding from the parties that are backed by corporations and corporation agenda.  They just end up ignoring public opinion whenever it doesn't fit their agenda anyways.  If politics was actually decided by the american people this would be a completely different country right now.  Just look at the tax cuts for the rich being passed right now with 69% of Americans opposed.  You call that representing the people?  

Maybe in the state you live in the candidates are similar.  That is greatly changing in New Hampshire at least.  Very different pro-liberty people are starting to run for office and actually win, on a statewide level.  Though, nationally, there are only a few people like Ron Paul and Rand Paul out there.  I'll keep working to imporve things in NH and maybe voters in the rest of the states will slowly get their act together? 

American people don't vote on national policy and I don't think that would work well, anyway.  They often got to vote on state and local policy though and often select the anti-freedom position.  Voters deserve some of the crap the political elites throw on them.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Brun2003 said:
numonex said:

Flat tax rate system should be enforced now. 20% tax rate on every dollar you earn. Fair simple tax system.

Government only provides Police services and military services. Both health and Education are fully privatised and run by free market system. Charity replaces social security system. Aged pensions are self funded, not from government. Water and utilities are provided by private enterprises, no government monopolies. 

No discrimination on socio-economic background. More jobs would be created and everyone would be better off. 

The 20% flat tax rate applies to all  individuals and all companies. A flat tax rate system applying to companies and individuals would be fair and reasonable. Conservative Libertarians would be over the moon with the implementation of a flat tax rate system. 

How about a flat tax rate system? 

That would be awesome!!  Have you read anything from Milton Friedman?  I am completely for a flat rate tax.  Did you know that progressive tax comes straight from karl marx.  The only other option I would be for would be eliminating the income tax and moving to consumption tax.

Milton Friedman is pretty good.  Have you heard of the Free State Project?  In New Hampshire we have an individual income tax of zero and a general sales tax of zero but we still have a bunch of smaller taxes and there are corporate taxes.  We are working to make it the state with the lowest taxes but it's hard to get the taxes lower than Alaska (which gets massive federal handouts and has tons of oil money).  Maybe in 4 years NH can finally be the place with the lowest taxes in the US.  I'll keep working at it.  At the very least, taxes should go down this year and maybe again next year.

Live Free or Die!

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

FreeTalkLive said:
Brun2003 said:
numonex said:

Flat tax rate system should be enforced now. 20% tax rate on every dollar you earn. Fair simple tax system.

Government only provides Police services and military services. Both health and Education are fully privatised and run by free market system. Charity replaces social security system. Aged pensions are self funded, not from government. Water and utilities are provided by private enterprises, no government monopolies. 

No discrimination on socio-economic background. More jobs would be created and everyone would be better off. 

The 20% flat tax rate applies to all  individuals and all companies. A flat tax rate system applying to companies and individuals would be fair and reasonable. Conservative Libertarians would be over the moon with the implementation of a flat tax rate system. 

How about a flat tax rate system? 

That would be awesome!!  Have you read anything from Milton Friedman?  I am completely for a flat rate tax.  Did you know that progressive tax comes straight from karl marx.  The only other option I would be for would be eliminating the income tax and moving to consumption tax.

Milton Friedman is pretty good.  Have you heard of the Free State Project?  In New Hampshire we have an individual income tax of zero and a general sales tax of zero but we still have a bunch of smaller taxes and there are corporate taxes.  We are working to make it the state with the lowest taxes but it's hard to get the taxes lower than Alaska (which gets massive federal handouts and has tons of oil money).  Maybe in 4 years NH can finally be the place with the lowest taxes in the US.  I'll keep working at it.  At the very least, taxes should go down this year and maybe again next year.

Live Free or Die!

Oil mining stooges from Alaska and Texas keep on pushing their Libertarian views/opinions. Libertarians believe in low or no taxes and little or no government and no welfare system. Libertarians want to erase the 20th century from the record books.

Progressive tax rates are there for a reason to help provide all citizens with a chance of working their way up. In an egalitarian world people work their way and earn their position based on merit. Education and health should be available for all citizens not just the wealthiest members of society. 

Friedman/Hayek economic views are radical Libertarian in nature and just like every other economic theory they are extremely flawed.