By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Flat tax rate system should be enforced now.

Flat tax rate system should be enforced now.

Sounds like a fair tax system. Sign me up!!! 22 24.44%

Another crazy numonex thread!!! 13 14.44%

You have got to be kidding me!!! 48 53.33%

Candy!!! 7 7.78%

Total:90
flagship said:

If the American government disappeared  tomorrow who stands to lose more ,the man making minimum wage or the man taking home a million dollars?

Flat taxes aren't fair because the need for government services is disproportionate, someone making millions a year has far more need for the military, police and education system to safeguard their fortunes and ability to make more money by protecting our  country, foreign interests, travel systems, banks, stock system and to train their next group of employees.  

I'll use the example of the UK here, since it's pretty much the opposite of numonex's proposal.

Who uses state education? The poor.

Who uses the NHS (public healthcare)? The poor.

Who gets benefits and housing allowance? The poor.

Who pays significantly more tax than anyone else? The rich.

The poor are actually taking far more from society than the rich. Obviously I'm not saying that they should pay more tax, but is it really fair to then tax the poor at 0%, and the rich at 40-50%?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Chairman-Mao said:
numonex said:

Flat tax rate system should be enforced now. 20% tax rate on every dollar you earn. Fair simple tax system.

Government only provides Police services and military services. Both health and Education are fully privatised and run by free market system. Charity replaces social security system. Aged pensions are self funded, not from government. Water and utilities are provided by private enterprises, no government monopolies. 

No discrimination on socio-economic background. More jobs would be created and everyone would be better off. 

The 20% flat tax rate applies to all  individuals and all companies. A flat tax rate system applying to companies and individuals would be fair and reasonable. Conservative Libertarians would be over the moon with the implementation of a flat tax rate system. 

How about a flat tax rate system? 

I hope you're serious, because I agree with that completely.

You've really had a change of heart since your death, Mr. Chairman.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Jereel Hunter said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Jereel Hunter said:
numonex said:

You wanna make society more class-based than it is now? This is how.

So your conclusion is by making things more equal...its really less equal?

A flat tax rate is the fairest (most equal) thing for everyone. Now while I don't agree everything should be privatized (most things should though), I do agree that a flat tax rate is a great idea. 

My solution to the privatization issue is a two-tiered system for things like education, health care, etc. I know its a terrible comparison, but kind of like Playstation plus. So everyone would get adequate free health care/education/services...but people if they have the money can opt to pay extra for their services and receive higher quality services.

So say two people are lined up at the hospital for a kidney transplant, a poor man and a rich man, but it will be a 1 month wait for the surgery. Well in that case the rich man can pull out his cheque book and pay to jump ahead in line and get his transplant right away, while the poor man who will get it for free has to wait the month.

I think something like that is perfectly fair because then the lower class will get the adequate health care they are somehow "entitled" to in todays society, while the middle and upper class can pay for theirs and get premium care.

Aside from which, equal has to do with quality of life, not just some %. If I make $20 million a year and you make $20,000, we have grossly different qualities of life. The impact  of living off of $10 million a year vs $16 million a year is minimal. The different between even $1000-2000 for someone making $20,000 a year is HUGE.

As for letting rich people pay to get organs faster, that's just crazy. Talk about putting a dollar value on human life. A good public health system, but there also being private health care of higher quality available? Fine. But life saving organs going to the rich first? That's just evil. Because I'm a wealthy investor, I deserve to live more than than father of 4 who drives a bus? Certainly not.

I totally understand where you're coming from in your first paragraph there. I just don't really think its fair to tax the hell out of the wealthy just because they can afford to live off of less. If you take away half their money and leave them with $10 million then why not go one step further and take away $19 million from them. Anybody can live off of $1 million per year. My point is where does it end? I get that 20% is huge tax for a guy making just $20,000 but he'll only be paying $2000 in taxes where as the $20 million man will be paying $4 million in taxes. I highly doubt the rich guy is really using $4 million worth of government services where as the poor man will easily use more than the $2000 in government services. 

And I think you misunderstood my idea on two-tiered health care. Everyone gets perfectly adequate health care, the difference is if a guy is willing to pay for his (as opposed to taking it for free) he can sort of skip to the front of the line (to a certain extent). So of course the poor man will get his surgery or whatever but if neither of them are in dire need of the surgery (their aren't going to die soon if they don't get it done) then the wealthier guy can skip ahead of the poor man at a price. But of course if the poor man is about to die without immediate medial care, and the wealthy guy is just fine then this won't work. I hope that clears it up a bit. 

Baalzamon said:

The poor pay less taxes?  Last I heard, the top 5% of our country pays like 90%, or something like that, of our taxes.  And while I will agree it is very difficult to find a full time job, the people that are searching can easily get a part time, minimum wage job that will at least help for bills (obviously won't cover near the full cost, but still helps)...I see places saying they are hiring all the time, even now.  So to some degree, yes, they are lazy, because they could go get one of these jobs if they wanted.  Also, if you'd look, its mostly uneducated people getting unemployed.

Ok so you're assuming that based on your personal experiences, unemployed people are lazy because they won't get a part-time job? I seriously doubt that. Do you know that for every job opening now, there are 5 people trying to get that 1 job? And if you think unemployment is enough money for these people to live on, you're mistaken. Are there people probably abusing the system? Yes, probably. But to assume the majority of the unemployed are lazy because some of them near you won't apply for that part-time job is ludicrous.

And honestly I think the rich wouldn't have a problem going back to the what 39% tax bracket? The "it will kill small businesses" talking point is a myth, seeing as only 3% of small businesses fit into that category of 250,000 and above. It's fearmongering, plain and simple, and it's worked.

johnsobas said:
mrstickball said:
johnsobas said:
Baalzamon said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
ramses01 said:
Rath said:

A flat tax is basically 'lets fuck the poor so the rich get richer'. It's obvious that the poor can't afford to have as much of their income taxed as the rich can. A flat tax is not a 'fair' tax, it's a blatantly unfair tax when you consider quality of life, it essentially means that the rich will be able to live a better quality of life than the good one they currently have and the poor will be able to live a worse quality of life than the poor one they currently have. Because widening the wealth gap is what everyone wants right?

Also relying on charity doesn't work. Charity is nice, but it's not thorough.

Finally the 'trickle down' effect is complete rubbish, it doesn't trickle down, it just pools at the top.

This is complete and utter nonesense.  The flat tax is the only fair tax.  If you want to have segmented tax rates, then the poor should pay a HIGHER tax rate than the rich as they consume a disportionate amount of the services.  If the poor can't afford the taxes then they should get better jobs, it is as simple as that.

Who has more to gain from funding a military that protects America's oil and trade interests?  The poor or the rich?

Who has more to gain from funding roads and bridges to ensure the safe delivery of goods across the country?  The poor or the rich?

Who has more to gain from funding education and health care so they can have an educated healthy pool of workers to hire from?  The poor or the rich?

Who has more to gain from funding the bailout?  The poor or the rich assholes on Wall Street that got us into this mess?

etc. etc. etc.

Rich people get more out of America (or any stable government and economy for that matter), so they should put more back in.

Well, with your school remark, the people that get the most out of school are actually the people that strive to get the most out of it.  It is one's own fault if they did not try in school and could not do something as simple as getting at least semi-decent grades (C's and better).  I have to laugh, there was a kid in my high school wanted me to help him with math, because he has lots of trouble on it.  I decided, sure, I'll do a good thing.  Next day, he's texting in class.  No more tutoring him by me.

right, it never has anything to do with the fact that schools are paid for by property taxes.  It has nothing to do with the fact that schools in poor areas are severely underfunded.  Just blame the poor for being lazy. 

Actually, if you look at test scores vs. funding, you find that the less a school gets, the better the grades. Compare inner city Detroit schools which get ~$16,000 per student with my rural Ohio school which gets $6,000 per student. Actually, you can compare virtually every under-performing school in any city with virtually any school outside and find that the inner city schools always spend far more for far less.

Heck, look at Cornerstone in Detroit. They have a 98% graduation rate and cost about $10,000 per student. They take the same poverty-striken kids on welfare and graduate them at a rate 3x that of public school. I wonder...Why should we continue to fund failing schools when we see private ones that do so much better with so less?

i dont' have all the stats for everywhere in front of me, but for example in new york there is a direct correlation with graduation rate and the amount of money spent.  This is for new york state.

School districts with graduation rates of less than 50% spent an average of $13,593; 

School districts with a 50% to 67% graduation rate spent an average of $15,009;  

School districts with a graduation rate of between 67% and 90% spent an average of $15,916; 

School districts with more than a 90% graduation rate spent an average of $18,551

I just heard a statistic the other day that analysis shows students do worse where teachers are paid more.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Tigerlure said:
Baalzamon said:

The poor pay less taxes?  Last I heard, the top 5% of our country pays like 90%, or something like that, of our taxes.  And while I will agree it is very difficult to find a full time job, the people that are searching can easily get a part time, minimum wage job that will at least help for bills (obviously won't cover near the full cost, but still helps)...I see places saying they are hiring all the time, even now.  So to some degree, yes, they are lazy, because they could go get one of these jobs if they wanted.  Also, if you'd look, its mostly uneducated people getting unemployed.

Ok so you're assuming that based on your personal experiences, unemployed people are lazy because they won't get a part-time job? I seriously doubt that. Do you know that for every job opening now, there are 5 people trying to get that 1 job? And if you think unemployment is enough money for these people to live on, you're mistaken. Are there people probably abusing the system? Yes, probably. But to assume the majority of the unemployed are lazy because some of them near you won't apply for that part-time job is ludicrous.

And honestly I think the rich wouldn't have a problem going back to the what 39% tax bracket? The "it will kill small businesses" talking point is a myth, seeing as only 3% of small businesses fit into that category of 250,000 and above. It's fearmongering, plain and simple, and it's worked.

Where did I say unemployment and a part time job were enough?  I said that there are jobs out there that somebody can get that will help pay for at least SOME of the bills.  Also, with your taxes idea, it isn't that the businesses have a problem with the higher taxes.  Taxes get passed on to consumers.  It is the consumers, whether they are poor or rich, that will be paying the additional taxes.

Joelcool7 said:

Well i like my taxes the way they are. But here in Canada our medical and water is covered in our taxes and our own state medical. I feel sorry for everyone in the US who dies because they don't have the money for medical treatment. Also I think the rich should be taxed more. They are gaining more from your society so they should give more back. If a poor man looses 10% in taxes and is forced to live on the streets do to lack of finances a rich man who makes say over 200K should have to pay 15% or so maybe even 20% if you make a mill or so.

The wealthy should help those they are using to get rich. In a country of democracy all citizens should be given equal rights and the rich should not be in such a powerful position compared to the poor. I mean seriously this is how democracies got started the poor people over through the nobels to create democracy.

If you are insainly wealthy you should give back if not voluntarily through taxes. Give back to all those people buying your products and paying for your lifestyle.

So the rich should put more into the system even though they get same out?

Say the tax rate is flat and at 10%. Someone making 25k puts 2500 into the system. Out of it they get highways, police safety, education for their children and all the other government funded service. Now you have a gentlemen that makes 250k a year putting 25k into the system and he doesnt get anything more out of the system then the fellow that only put 2500 in, even though he put in 10 times more. Fair? Hell no.

Now I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not terribly wealthy.... Now why is that? Are you lazy? Maybe. Perhaps you live a comfortable lifestyle and you're cool with that. But why should someone who goes out and busts their butt to make it big have to put more into the system than you?

50% of the American population pays $0 into the federal tax system. Some of that 50% actually get money back. So who's paying for all the government funded organizations? The wealthy are. And you all just think since they already fund everything they should just give up more? These people get nothing out of the system because they managed to make it on their own. And they should pay even more?

As to the bolded statement above. Yeah Bill Gates and Steve Jobs giving you the Personal Computer, that's no big deal. Everyone on this forum hardly uses a computer anyways, they didn't really give us anything good.

Generally people buy a product because it makes life easier, but you're right, all those people who invented helpful stuff, they don't deserve a single penny they have made off of it. We'd all be better off without any conveniences.

I hope this next part doesn't land the ban hammer on my head, but you all need to get your heads out of your asses (atleast those who say the rich should be taxed more). Rich people are rich because they put forth the effort to become rich. And in the process they've made the rest of your lives alot easier. (Now is this universal among rich people, no but for the most part) And instead of thanking them you all just want to take their shit.

Now a flat tax system is probably as fair as it can get for rich people, but if you want fair then they should actually pay a smaller percentage and even then they'd be paying more than everyone else.

Username2324 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Well i like my taxes the way they are. But here in Canada our medical and water is covered in our taxes and our own state medical. I feel sorry for everyone in the US who dies because they don't have the money for medical treatment. Also I think the rich should be taxed more. They are gaining more from your society so they should give more back. If a poor man looses 10% in taxes and is forced to live on the streets do to lack of finances a rich man who makes say over 200K should have to pay 15% or so maybe even 20% if you make a mill or so.

The wealthy should help those they are using to get rich. In a country of democracy all citizens should be given equal rights and the rich should not be in such a powerful position compared to the poor. I mean seriously this is how democracies got started the poor people over through the nobels to create democracy.

If you are insainly wealthy you should give back if not voluntarily through taxes. Give back to all those people buying your products and paying for your lifestyle.

Say the tax rate is flat and at 10%. Someone making 25k puts 2500 into the system. Out of it they get highways, police safety, education for their children and all the other government funded service. Now you have a gentlemen that makes 250k a year putting 25k into the system and he doesnt get anything more out of the system then the fellow that only put 2500 in, even though he put in 10 times more. Fair? Hell no.

Now I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not terribly wealthy.... Now why is that? Are you lazy? Maybe. Perhaps you live a comfortable lifestyle and you're cool with that. But why should someone who goes out and busts their butt to make it big have to put more into the system than you?

50% of the American population pays $0 into the federal tax system. Some of that 50% actually get money back. So who's paying for all the government funded organizations? The wealthy are. And you all just think since they already fund everything they should just give up more? These people get nothing out of the system because they managed to make it on their own. And they should pay even more?

As to the bolded statement above. Yeah Bill Gates and Steve Jobs giving you the Personal Computer, that's no big deal. Everyone on this forum hardly uses a computer anyways, they didn't really give us anything good.

Generally people buy a product because it makes life easier, but you're right, all those people who invented helpful stuff, they don't deserve a single penny they have made off of it. We'd all be better off without any conveniences.

I hope this next part doesn't land the ban hammer on my head, but you all need to get your heads out of your asses (atleast those who say the rich should be taxed more). Rich people are rich because they put forth the effort to become rich. And in the process they've made the rest of your lives alot easier. (Now is this universal among rich people, no but for the most part) And instead of thanking them you all just want to take their shit.

Now a flat tax system is probably as fair as it can get for rich people, but if you want fair then they should actually pay a smaller percentage and even then they'd be paying more than everyone else.

The funniest thing people just don't realize is the following: If you would start everybody off with $0 again.  Give the current poor people salaries equal to twice as much as the current rich people.  20 years down the road, it will be almost the exact same people that are rich, and the exact same people that are poor. 

For a majority of life, it is your own choices that will lead to "success" in life.  Even people that lose their job...if you would follow any financial plan at all, they pretty much all say you should have at least 1/2 year of income saved in an easily accessible account (often referred to as an emergency fund), so please don't try using this as an excuse for why people get so far in the hole.  These people that will wind up poorer get there because they go buy a brand new expensive house, brand new expensive car, brand new this, brand new that, and have every dollar they make going out the door each month.  They lose their job, obviously they will be screwed over.

Kantor said:
flagship said:

If the American government disappeared  tomorrow who stands to lose more ,the man making minimum wage or the man taking home a million dollars?

Flat taxes aren't fair because the need for government services is disproportionate, someone making millions a year has far more need for the military, police and education system to safeguard their fortunes and ability to make more money by protecting our  country, foreign interests, travel systems, banks, stock system and to train their next group of employees.  

I'll use the example of the UK here, since it's pretty much the opposite of numonex's proposal.

Who uses state education? The poor.

Who uses the NHS (public healthcare)? The poor.

Who gets benefits and housing allowance? The poor.

Who pays significantly more tax than anyone else? The rich.

The poor are actually taking far more from society than the rich. Obviously I'm not saying that they should pay more tax, but is it really fair to then tax the poor at 0%, and the rich at 40-50%?

Police and military are needed to protect the rich people's assets. Police and military favours the rich over the poor and the rich need to pay towards police and military. 

Corporate bailouts to the tune of billions to bail out millionaire and billionaire corporate elites too big to fail. Corporate bailouts favour the rich and the rich need to pay taxes to fund their generous corporate bailouts. 

Baalzamon said:
Username2324 said:
Joelcool7 said:

The funniest thing people just don't realize is the following: If you would start everybody off with $0 again.  Give the current poor people salaries equal to twice as much as the current rich people.  20 years down the road, it will be almost the exact same people that are rich, and the exact same people that are poor. 

For a majority of life, it is your own choices that will lead to "success" in life.  Even people that lose their job...if you would follow any financial plan at all, they pretty much all say you should have at least 1/2 year of income saved in an easily accessible account (often referred to as an emergency fund), so please don't try using this as an excuse for why people get so far in the hole.  These people that will wind up poorer get there because they go buy a brand new expensive house, brand new expensive car, brand new this, brand new that, and have every dollar they make going out the door each month.  They lose their job, obviously they will be screwed over.

It has a lot more to do with your family and upbringing then it does anything else.  You can't change the habits of a 40 year old poor man.  Fact is though, you are far more likely to be one of those poor people due to factors that are out of your control.  They're not all lazy, much of it has to do with human psychology.  I mean if you swapped babies with the poor and rich person they will probably grow up to be like their parents that raised them not the blood relatives.  

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X