By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm in desperate need of gaming knowledge, come in and see if you can help

I just bought Yu Gi Oh: Duellist of Roses off of Ebay after years of looking for a cheap enough PAL copy and I'm very happy. I'm not a Yu Gi Oh fan, but I just loved the whole card combat system in the game and I've been trying to look for a current generation game on the PS3 or 360 that is similar and I'm struggling.

The only two games that I can find that are even remotely similar are Chaotic: Shadow Warriors and Bakugan on the PS3. Has anyone tried them? Are they as good as Duellist of Roses? Is Eye of Judgement any good? Are there any niche Japanese PS3 card games that I could import?

Money isn't a problem and all suggestions are welcome.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

You can get Magic the Gathering something on XBL. Or go play the game irl.

Eye of Judgment is good but you will buy real cards yourself.

the game is more complex as it seems and gets more strategic as you get more cards.

there is also Magic The Gatheirng on XBL

there is also Magic The Gathering Tactics on PSN which is the closest to Duelist of the Roses out of the three

PullusPardus said:

Magic: The Gathering - Tactics

That looks pretty perfect, I'll look it up, hopefully PSN has a demo up.

Eye of Judgement looked really good as well, but the field seems way too small in comparison to the few other strategy card games I've played. I'll probably pick it up if I ever find it for a low price.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

If you like tactical games you should also consider Valkyria Chronicles.

Around the Network

Give Culdcept Saga for the 360 a look.

There aren't a lot of options and most of them aren't going to make you happy.  Here are the ones I've tried:

• Magic Online (PC) - This is a PC game which may not suite you but it doesn't have hefty requirements (if you're browsing this website you can likely run it) but you do have to buy the cards.  The upside is that it does all the rules for you and has a pretty slick interface (or at the least game part, the rest is blah).
  • Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers (360 XBLA) - This is a very simplified M:tG and it's decent if you're new to the game but awful if you have any experience with it.  It doesn't let you actually build your deck, just add to the premade ones.  It also has an incredibly frustrating 2.5 second timer after every action.  It doesn't sound like much but when six effects fire off after every spell, that's 15 seconds of waiting per card.  It sucks.
  • Culdcept Saga (360) - This is a really neat game that is decent fun.  It's a mix between Monopoly and Magic.  The upside is it's incredibly cheap, the downside is the AI cheats like mad.  I believe there's a PS2 version too.
  • Eye of Judgment (PS3) - This is another neat card game but it's not well supported and instead of the AI cheating like mad, it essentially boils down to whoever goes first wins.  I had bad luck with getting cards to recognize well, others had better luck.  I don't know how easy it is to find cards for it but I haven't seen any booster packs for years.

If you're up to spending the money, I would say Magic Online.  It has every Magic card and you can always find tournaments.  The downside is you do have to buy your cards but you can get an excellent start by just doing the various types of drafts.  If you're decent at the game you'll get to a point where the drafts pay for themselves by winning prizes.

Personally, I hated Duels of the Planeswalkers for the reasons mentioned above and just can't recommend it.  Culdcept Saga might be fun if you have a buddy but playing against the AI is infuriating.  Eye of Judgment was a neat concept but it just isn't that interesting of a game.

Doobie_wop said:
PullusPardus said:

Magic: The Gathering - Tactics

That looks pretty perfect, I'll look it up, hopefully PSN has a demo up.

Eye of Judgement looked really good as well, but the field seems way too small in comparison to the few other strategy card games I've played. I'll probably pick it up if I ever find it for a low price.

I imagine the game isn't expensive, especially if you already have a PSEye, but it looks like the booster packs are expensive, starting at $9.99 a pack and going up to about $16.50.  Both of those prices are pretty insanely high for a booster pack, boosters should be about $3-5 a pack depending on the game.  You would be paying at a minimum double for a high end booster pack which I doubt Eye of Judgment is.

You might be able to do better if you bought singles but even that would get expensive.

If you like Card based battling systems get the Baten Kaitos games

Probably sits outside your range, but if you have a Wii you could pick up Phantasy Star Online Episode III: CARD Revolution. Actually a GameCube game, but it was a neat card-based game in its time (online at one point, but those servers are long gone and the only thing Wii can't do in terms of GC backwards compatibility is emulate online anyway)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.