By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WW UP!! 20 November 2010!!!!!!

Metallicube said:

And I am answering saying the EVERGREEN titles, along with Donkey Kong, Just Dance 2, Michael Jackson, Kirby, Wii Party, and the soon to be released Epic Mickey in conjunction with the normal holiday boost is what lifting sales. Sure there are bundles, but why do you think people are buying those consoles in the first place, to stare at the pretty glossy textures?

i thought you weren't visiting these sales threads anymore due to the unfair trading issues

funnily enough the wii is up on the ps3 in the mysterious other and others of the EMEAA

Wii is going to have a blinder next week

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
ethomaz said:
Carl2291 said:

Am I the only person finding these numbers confusing?

No, me too.

Me threee... I dont know why VGC want to go this far to prove that the wii will get a holidays boost. December is near so we'll see what's really goin on

Haha yeah.. it's all a conspiracy against Sony and MS. It absolutely blows my mind that the Sony and MS fans are honestly surprised at the Wii's resurgence this holiday. Let's go over the facts:

- The first 9 months of 2010, Wii had NO hardware movers. It's biggest games were Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M. Now it is having not only major selling games again, but hardware movers.

- NSMB bundles, which is one of the most successful games in recent history.

- Continued strength of evergreen titles and Wii Party

- Holiday season usually favors Nintendo products because they are generally kid friendly and there are several parents buying gifts for their children.

-Donkey Kong Country!

I think people are getting upset because Move and Kinect have failed to put a dent in Wii sales. You have to remember, hardware add ons (like consoles) are useless without killer aps to push them. And as of now, I really do not see killer aps on either Move or Kinect.

zuvuyeay said:
Metallicube said:

And I am answering saying the EVERGREEN titles, along with Donkey Kong, Just Dance 2, Michael Jackson, Kirby, Wii Party, and the soon to be released Epic Mickey in conjunction with the normal holiday boost is what lifting sales. Sure there are bundles, but why do you think people are buying those consoles in the first place, to stare at the pretty glossy textures?

i thought you weren't visiting these sales threads anymore due to the unfair trading issues

funnily enough the wii is up on the ps3 in the mysterious other and others of the EMEAA

Wii is going to have a blinder next week

Hmm, seems people love to call me out on my posts.. I just found it odd that PS3 had this major boost for no reason other than the fact that vgchartz was now counting these several other mysterious smaller countries in which only Sony consoles were available, so at the time I assumed that PS3 was going to have the advantage from here on out, but I guess I overreacted. But I think it was a reasonable assumption at the time.

Metallicube said:
psrock said:
Metallicube said:
psrock said:
Metallicube said:
thx1139 said:

Just looked back and the automatic well Nintendo always increases more during holidays is false. Previously gen GCN only increased past Xbox in 2003 when Nintendo dropped to $99.99 and in 2005 after 360 released.  Yes Wii has previously increased huge during holidays, but everything this year was pointing to different results.  I really will be very interested in seeing the NPD numbers for November when they leak.  Think the calculations giving Wii as big an icrease this year will need to be adjusted.

Why are you so suspicious of the Wii resurgence? As I said, DKC is going to be a bombshell, as it is a highly popular 2D platformer that has potential to really move hardware. Then you have the Red Wii bundle, the conintued strength of NSMB, Mario Allstars, Just Dance 2, Kirby, Goldeneye, Michael Jackson, etc, and the normal holiday boosts that usually favor Nintendo.

Wii sales have been poor the majority of this year because Nintendo has had virtually NO games that appeal to a wide audience and reinvigorate Wii sales. Basically, from Jan - Sep in 2010, the biggest Wii releases were: Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M, both of which were clearly NOT hardware movers.

In the recent weeks, this has changed. Remember, software is what drives hardware sales. Sony and MS can throw out all the hardware addons they want, but at the end of the day, the populatiry of the GAMES is what is going to drive hardware sales, and there are no killer aps on those add ons that are pushing hardware. Black Ops is really the only recent hardware mover for the HD consoles.

would you please list all these new games that has been pushing wii sales the last couple weeks?

All you have to do is look at the top 10 to find that out.. NSMB, an extremely popular game, has extended its influenece into this year, as well as Wii Party, Michael Jackson, and DKC. Evergreen titles have the ability to power a console for an extended period of time. Wii has a number of 10 million selling games, and rest assured these games are helping it to sell this holiday.

I could answer your question with another question.. What new games should be pushing the HD console besides Call of Duty?

I don't publish the console sales, so I don't see why I should have to justify the numbers. These numbers are just estimates, and could be very far off. I don't deny that. But this is what has been posted. If you're that skeptical of the vgchartz numbers, just wait for NPD and leave it at that..

You made a claim, I ask you to back it up, which you can't. Looking around, it seems the Wii has the best bundles this year, and as usual Mario plays a huge role. The 360 is selling software as much as the Wii and the PS3 is not that far off. They  all have software.

So through the rest of the year, the Wii has a software drought that we hear of all the time (despite countless threads on how happy people are with the software library and how they can't afford all the great games) and that is solely to blame for the decline but come holidays, it suddenly has evergreen titles? Do these evergreen titles go on vacation outside the holidays? This place has some real inconsistencies sometimes.

I think perhaps these titles should be dubbed "sometimes green" for accuracy.

Simulacrum said:

These sales doesn't make sense.

Please, someone tell me why Wii is top.

And dont say its because its Nintendo product and its holiday, tell me a reason

Red Wii bundles?

OT  Nice numbers all around. I expect PS3 to be a little higher in NA next week though. 

Tifa got MOVES!

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Hmm, seems people love to call me out on my posts.. I just found it odd that PS3 had this major boost for no reason other than the fact that vgchartz was now counting these several other mysterious smaller countries in which only Sony consoles were available, so at the time I assumed that PS3 was going to have the advantage from here on out, but I guess I overreacted. But I think it was a reasonable assumption at the time.

Does it really matter? Frankly, I'd be glad the Wii has such a large advantage in every country. It's not like the 360 (or PS3) will catch up to the Wii. Not any time soon, at least. Why would it matter if the Wii just now started falling short of its competitors?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Mummelmann said:
Metallicube said:
psrock said:
Metallicube said:
psrock said:
Metallicube said:
thx1139 said:

Just looked back and the automatic well Nintendo always increases more during holidays is false. Previously gen GCN only increased past Xbox in 2003 when Nintendo dropped to $99.99 and in 2005 after 360 released.  Yes Wii has previously increased huge during holidays, but everything this year was pointing to different results.  I really will be very interested in seeing the NPD numbers for November when they leak.  Think the calculations giving Wii as big an icrease this year will need to be adjusted.

Why are you so suspicious of the Wii resurgence? As I said, DKC is going to be a bombshell, as it is a highly popular 2D platformer that has potential to really move hardware. Then you have the Red Wii bundle, the conintued strength of NSMB, Mario Allstars, Just Dance 2, Kirby, Goldeneye, Michael Jackson, etc, and the normal holiday boosts that usually favor Nintendo.

Wii sales have been poor the majority of this year because Nintendo has had virtually NO games that appeal to a wide audience and reinvigorate Wii sales. Basically, from Jan - Sep in 2010, the biggest Wii releases were: Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M, both of which were clearly NOT hardware movers.

In the recent weeks, this has changed. Remember, software is what drives hardware sales. Sony and MS can throw out all the hardware addons they want, but at the end of the day, the populatiry of the GAMES is what is going to drive hardware sales, and there are no killer aps on those add ons that are pushing hardware. Black Ops is really the only recent hardware mover for the HD consoles.

would you please list all these new games that has been pushing wii sales the last couple weeks?

All you have to do is look at the top 10 to find that out.. NSMB, an extremely popular game, has extended its influenece into this year, as well as Wii Party, Michael Jackson, and DKC. Evergreen titles have the ability to power a console for an extended period of time. Wii has a number of 10 million selling games, and rest assured these games are helping it to sell this holiday.

I could answer your question with another question.. What new games should be pushing the HD console besides Call of Duty?

I don't publish the console sales, so I don't see why I should have to justify the numbers. These numbers are just estimates, and could be very far off. I don't deny that. But this is what has been posted. If you're that skeptical of the vgchartz numbers, just wait for NPD and leave it at that..

You made a claim, I ask you to back it up, which you can't. Looking around, it seems the Wii has the best bundles this year, and as usual Mario plays a huge role. The 360 is selling software as much as the Wii and the PS3 is not that far off. They  all have software.

So through the rest of the year, the Wii has a software drought that we hear of all the time (despite countless threads on how happy people are with the software library and how they can't afford all the great games) and that is solely to blame for the decline but come holidays, it suddenly has evergreen titles? Do these evergreen titles go on vacation outside the holidays? This place has some real inconsistencies sometimes.

Yes. Those evergreen titles sells better this season 'cuz are presents that appeals a lot of people.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

hatmoza said:
darthdevidem01 said:

With a quick google search, other than the endless forums dedicated to angry and disappointed fans, I was able to stumble on 4 websites that had FF XXIII in the top 10 most disappointing games lists. 2 of them at the #1 spot.

A quick google search gets us threads with gamers are saying how underrated FFXIII is too. Several sites listing it as one of the under-appreciated games this year and favourite games of 2010 lists, here is a few of them:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3181207

http://www.gamersgameplay.com/2010/11/most-underappreciated-games-of-2010.html

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-top-7-best-games-of-2010-so-far/a-20100628115239773063

Think how many people think of this game as the biggest disappointment of all time.

The argument I was having with him was of how it was actually possible for people to love the game....your changing the scope of that sentence.

Everyone I personally know who played it believes FFXIII to be the worst FF of all time.

No-one I know believes this to be true, most see FFXIII as one of the best, one or two see it as one of the lesser best.

Final Fantasy is a powerful name, add to that it has been 5 years since the last one. People got hungry for a console FF. Even I went out and bought it.

Doesn't explain legs of up to 3 times better than its predecessor....if the game is "poisoning" people with disappointment sales should have slowed right down by a lot. It should have sold way less than past installments instead of going up the ranks compared to them. 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Mummelmann said:
Metallicube said:
psrock said:
Metallicube said:
psrock said:
Metallicube said:
thx1139 said:

Evergreen titles constantly help the console, but even moreso during the holidays when an influx of new users come in and are looking for good games on the console. This is of course in conjunction with new games as well, like Goldeneye, Wii Party, Kirby, Michael Jackson, Just Dance 2, Donkey Kong, and Epic Mickey, and the new bundle, which is bundled with the extremely popular NSMB.

The fact is, for the greater part of the year, Wii had an awful software drought, at least in terms of popular games that actually move consoles. Metroid Other M and Galaxy 2 were the biggest ones, and those obviously weren't going to be enough. As long as the Wii has games that appeal to a wide audience, its sales will remain a force to be reckoned with.

Then they are not evergreen, which was the core of my entire point.

1:" Having foliage that persists and remains green throughout the year."

2:"Perenially fresh or interesting; enduring."

Evergreen persists throughout the year, not just for seven-to eight weeks. That is the opposite of evergreen; seasonal green.