By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 set new first day record in Finland.

20K in Finland, a tiny country, should translate to well over 1 million in Europe first day.

How was GT5 expected to sell 1st week in Europe (before the reviews came out)?

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:
darthdevidem01 said:
psrock said:

GT games are not about records for first day, week, these games usually have long legs and sell well in every territories.

This makes GT5 sales potential sound even better.

Yeah i know what you mean, but i'm a bit worried, whether the negative press etc, might cut the legs. i planning to pick it up in a few months when i can devote more time to it. but i hope GT5 can do it. 

PS. i see you and other fans were a bit upset with igns review.

imo i dont know how they could review the game or so many people compare it to Froza and Need for Speed, when they dont take into account the 3D component or the head tracking on PSEye.

I dunno if negative press could cut legs....it always could.

But it will be hard to tell because the expectations for this title in terms of sales are really all over the place...in the GT5 Sales PRediction thread (I'll be making the discussion thread for it tomorrow so you'll see everyone predictions there).....we have one prediction saying 5 MILLION LTD....one saying 14 MILLION LTD

Thats a range of 9 Million between peoples sales expectations for it......so it will be so hard to tell if negative press ever hurt the game because no-one is quite sure exactly where it should end up....SONY haven't really given any expectations either.

I was only a bit upset towards the IGN review because they say its the "best racing sim" but then give it 8.5 because the menu's were bad and other BS.....thats silly.

.......the press isn't even negative....

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

The press doesn't mean shit for household names or mass-appeal products...

darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:
darthdevidem01 said:
psrock said:

GT games are not about records for first day, week, these games usually have long legs and sell well in every territories.

Yeah i know what you mean, but i'm a bit worried, whether the negative press etc, might cut the legs. i planning to pick it up in a few months when i can devote more time to it. but i hope GT5 can do it. 

imo i dont know how they could review the game or so many people compare it to Froza and Need for Speed, when they dont take into account the 3D component or the head tracking on PSEye.

But it will be hard to tell because the expectations for this title in terms of sales are really all over the place...in the GT5 Sales PRediction thread (I'll be making the discussion thread for it tomorrow so you'll see everyone predictions there).....we have one prediction saying 5 MILLION LTD....one saying 14 MILLION LTD

Thats a range of 9 Million between peoples sales expectations for it......so it will be so hard to tell if negative press ever hurt the game because no-one is quite sure exactly where it should end up....SONY haven't really given any expectations either.

I was only a bit upset towards the IGN review because they say its the "best racing sim" but then give it 8.5 because the menu's were bad and other BS.....thats silly.

Just look at meta score of Mario kart and then look at its sales. GT is so casual series that meta score has minimun effect to its overall sales especially as the score is still extremely good (86 currently).

Edit. Damn. Beaten by CGI

dtewi said:
darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:
darthdevidem01 said:
psrock said:

I think he means the lukewarm press it got compared to how GT games get received.

But CGI puts forward a good argument regarding Mario Kart

GT is similarly casual (not to the same extent though)......but in the end no-one knows what the exact sales expectations for it were.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:
darthdevidem01 said:
psrock said:

Sony expectations shouldn't be so big because the online servers crashed in the first day because they didn't expected so many gamers online.

darthdevidem01 said:
dtewi said:

I think he means the lukewarm press it got compared to how GT games get received.

But CGI puts forward a good argument regarding Mario Kart

GT is similarly casual (not to the same extent though)......but in the end no-one knows what the exact sales expectations for it were.

Well ign did list it as one of biggest dissapointments of the year. i said this on the other thread but its just a joke that they havent looked at 3D or head tracking, they've said that Polyphony have wasted 5/6 years, but they havent reviewed the most innovative component; and a lot of other games cant dream of having that.

i know a lot of people cant afford 3D, but it still there as part of the experience. and forgetting about it missing a vital peice of where all that development time has gone. sales might not be great this time round, but i'm sure they will be over 7 mil, and there will be a GT6 with a much bigger userbase.

Gran Turismo 5 Sales Exceed Expectations; Second Patch Coming Sunday

“The data centre was set up to handle 500,000 connections but the number of connections we received greatly exceeded that amount and there was a high chance of experiencing problems as a result.”

How big are "greatly exceeded 500k" for first day??? Only connected online at the same time.

Game deserves it and so much more, even with a few cluttered menus and some quirky design issues, the game is still hands down the best sim racer this gen, dont be fooled by these so called journalists who are quick to dissuade you.  We said it before it came out, and Ill say it here:  Definitive. 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

ethomaz said:
darthdevidem01 said:
A203D said:
darthdevidem01 said:
psrock said:

Sony expectations shouldn't be so big because the online servers crashed in the first day because they didn't expected so many gamers online.

i hate to say it but almost all sony made games with online  crashes when it get first released.. It has nothing to do with gt5 they knew it was going to sell truck loads.

You wanna have your opinion, then you have to respect different opinions as well.