By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Crytek Say The PC Is A Generation Ahead

I would say PC gaming is about half a gen ahead. problem is that there are only like 4 games that are actually on a level that justifies the cost of the PC XD

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network
Chibi.V.29 said:

I would say PC gaming is about half a gen ahead. problem is that there are only like 4 games that are actually on a level that justifies the cost of the PC XD

Regardless of whether it's half a gen or 4 (hell, make it 5), I think a lot of people are deliberately overlooking the fact that there really aren't enough genuine exclusive games to justify the cost of building a game specific PC, not that this stops enthusiasts from doing just that even if it's for ONE game, with the rationale that "now all my old games will run better."

Anyone who's ever built a gaming PC is probably guilty of this whether they admit it or not.

For starters, the whole concept of making a "PC exclusive" makes almost less sense than any third party developer "console exclusive" unless your game is not expected to break into 7 figure sales. With the exception of MMORPGs and RTS games, there just isn't a huge market for PC exclusives and a large part of that had to do with the portability of FPS games to consoles.

And yes, you can sort of build a $299 PC, but it won't outperform a console unless you're reusing a lot of parts. Spending $299 on a video card isn't quite the same thing as spending $299 on a complete box with OS.

greenmedic88 said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

Regardless of whether it's half a gen or 4 (hell, make it 5), I think a lot of people are deliberately overlooking the fact that there really aren't enough genuine exclusive games to justify the cost of building a game specific PC, not that this stops enthusiasts from doing just that even if it's for ONE game, with the rationale that "now all my old games will run better."

Anyone who's ever built a gaming PC is probably guilty of this whether they admit it or not.

For starters, the whole concept of making a "PC exclusive" makes almost less sense than any third party developer "console exclusive" unless your game is not expected to break into 7 figure sales. With the exception of MMORPGs and RTS games, there just isn't a huge market for PC exclusives and a large part of that had to do with the portability of FPS games to consoles.

And yes, you can sort of build a $299 PC, but it won't outperform a console unless you're reusing a lot of parts. Spending $299 on a video card isn't quite the same thing as spending $299 on a complete box with OS.

I'm totaly guilty of the building a gaming PC part XD. for me consols are my main hub for games. i dont think PC will ever have a large enough number of true PC exclusives (that utilise its power) for me to move away from consols. Im just a stubern git and wanted to run crysis XD its not even that good a game just wanted the satisfaction :P

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

greenmedic88 said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

People have created 100 posts threads about X360 version running 2 fps more and having few polygons more than PS3 version saying it's good reason to get that version and yet everyone seems to ignore fact that PC version will run at twice the resolution with insane AA levels and  60 fps.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Yay - and how many interesting PC exclusives do we have from that? Barely any!

Around the Network

Crytek are way over their head. Their games are me-too's among a sea of shooters and most gamers can't even play them properly or at all due to system requirements.

I have no sympathy nor appreciation for them.

Zlejedi said:
greenmedic88 said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

People have created 100 posts threads about X360 version running 2 fps more and having few polygons more than PS3 version saying it's good reason to get that version and yet everyone seems to ignore fact that PC version will run at twice the resolution with insane AA levels and  60 fps.

Dear god, don't forget that one console displays the game at a little higher resolution and slighly different looking lighting! That's the great debate of our age don't ya know.

Anyway, I'm guilty of wanting to spend money to build myself a tower, but apart from games I also use that power for stuff like video editing. Growing up I was playing on a computer more than a console and that holds true even to today. I find it so unfortunate that gaming on the computer gets written off as much as it does.

I am mind-boggled that there is any sort of argument here.

zarx said:

Crysis alone sold over one million copies on PC in four months. The myth that the PC sku doesn’t sell needs to be overcome.

Holy moly! A shooter selling 1 million units in four months! That's a record that'll never be topped.

I wonder why developers don't make PC the priority anymore.

BTW, when did that game come out? Probably when piracy was less rampant.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
zarx said:

Crysis alone sold over one million copies on PC in four months. The myth that the PC sku doesn’t sell needs to be overcome.

Holy moly! A shooter selling 1 million units in four months! That's a record that'll never be topped.

I wonder why developers don't make PC the priority anymore.

BTW, when did that game come out? Probably when piracy was less rampant.

let's just say that when it came out many people had to build a PC specifically for this game because most computers would explode after you installed it.. So I think it did pretty damn good given the circumstances.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive