By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Crytek Say The PC Is A Generation Ahead

Slimebeast said:

Great post as always Squirrel, and I'm ready to agree.

About the bolded though. That makes tons of sense and is probably what is happening at CryTek and in Yerli's head at the moment. But isn't that unfair though to include future hardware and future games and say the PC is easily a generation ahead?

Because the same could be said for consoles. Bethesda is (potentially) developing Fallout 4 for next gen consoles and I can bet my hat that the Xbox 720 will be released in late 2012 and have a GPU that is way faster than a Nvidia GTX 580.

Considering the benchmark so far has been Crysis, a game released at the start of this gen, I would say no it is not unfair. The top end PC is what we are talking about here, and that could run Crysis well enough when it came out. The market is amazingly tiny at that stage, but it exists. The relatively small size is why we don't see more games exploiting it to the maximum effect though. PCs being a generation ahead is significant iff there is a sufficiently large portion of the population with the hardware in question. Whether or not that is true requires market research no one here has really done.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:

I haven't seen any top of the line systems that can run Crysis over 120 fps at 1920x1080. GTX580 SLI gave 93.6 fps at 1920x1200 (reducing that to 1920x1080 will not give you an extra 26 fps) at Gamer quality with Enthusiast shaders and 4xAA. The HD5970 from last year gave 65.7fps, same settings.

So I'm not sure where this "120 fps at far above 1080p is coming from."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4008/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580/6

I have PC games 7-8 years old will not run 120 fps on my new PC  so I don't know if that a guide line if PC are a genration ahead or not. I would think  the game has to be designed to take advantage new hardware. Crysis probably could be reprogram to take advantage of today's hardware which  gets over 120 fps.