By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hardware gap between Wii and PS3 ever increasing plus some facts with xbox.

Who would have thought that such a feat were possible one year into the full next gen war between the rival consoles. It has been somewhat 13 months since both the Wii and PS3 launched, and at the time people had great expectations for the latter and not so great ones from the former.

Yet here we are, with the Wii ahead of it's rival by more than 9 million consoles sold to consumers. Quite astonishing really given the recent years of gaming history. What seems even more baffeling is that the Wii has yet to show signs of slowing down anywhere else than in Japan (now it seems that sales have picked up considerably). At the same time Sony and Microsoft are headbutting each other in a fancy to determine which will have week to week better sales WW. Both have rather good sales overall yet undeniably pale in presence of Nintendo's newest product. Indeed the only thing that can actually slow down sales is the consoles' own popularity, leading to massive hardware droughts, which ultimately helped its rival(xbox360) pull ahead in weekly hardware sales, if only for this week alone.

It must be clearly said though, that there is olny one winner in this christmas "contest of popularity" among video game console producers, and that winner in 2007 is undisputedly the Wii. True, maybe a little early to say so with 3 weeks until the end of December, yet given sale estimates for the last 3 weeks (this one included) the Wii has already sold approx. three quarters of a million more units of hardware than second place MS and about 4/5 of a million more than Sony. With this kind of trend, it's rather safe to assume the winning side is Nintendo (and that's not even counting all those DS's sold!)

In conclusion, the Wii has been outselling the PS3 by almost a 2,5:1 factor since launch, which is a very good outcome overall, but my question is, do you think that the Wii can continue performing in this manner? I personally think that it will come out on top either way, just not necesserily buy such a large margin. I suppose that the Wii will eventually settle down to have a steady 10-15% lead on each weekly sellthrough, with variations depending whether there are any special games comint out for each systems at any specific time......but probably not before August 2008.

Your thoughts, anyone?

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Around the Network

According to the chart at Sony defense force, the playstation (family) beat the Wii, DS and 360 for October:

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=311

We'll have to see if it can continue its monstrous win streak for November as well just as soon as the NPD numbers come out to confirm what VGChartz has us believe. Oh, and for November the DS doesn't count because it is somehow different from the other video game machines in such a way that it is disqualified from counting as a video game machine.

[edit] We should make a Microsoft defense force that counts all Windows PCs as part of the "Microsoft family" and then add all of the sales of Windows licenses to the total in the Microsoft family. The Sony/Nintendo numbers would be tiny slivers proving once and for all that games-for-Windows and the 360 are dominant.

xbox 360 beat ps3 this week again^^

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I thik it has to do with the ps3 costing double the price of the wii..

mM
leo-j said:
I thik it has to do with the ps3 costing double the price of the wii..

and nintendo makes money and sony not...

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

^^What does that have to do with Nintendo selling more consoles?

TheBigFatJ said:

According to the chart at Sony defense force, the playstation (family) beat the Wii, DS and 360 for October:

We'll have to see if it can continue its monstrous win streak for November as well just as soon as the NPD numbers come out to confirm what VGChartz has us believe. Oh, and for November the DS doesn't count because it is somehow different from the other video game machines in such a way that it is disqualified from counting as a video game machine.

[edit] We should make a Microsoft defense force that counts all Windows PCs as part of the "Microsoft family" and then add all of the sales of Windows licenses to the total in the Microsoft family. The Sony/Nintendo numbers would be tiny slivers proving once and for all that games-for-Windows and the 360 are dominant.

That is a painfuilly transparent and desperate way to try and claim Sony are selling more than Nintendo.

Grouping all Sony's consoles together whilst listing Nintendo's seperately.

llewdebkram said:
TheBigFatJ said:

That is a painfuilly transparrent  and desperate way to try and claim Sony are selling more than Nintendo.

Grouping all Sony's consoles together whilst listing Nintendo's seperately.

in one word : Sony

^Well, sure. The PS3 costs 400$. But isn't it supposed to have superior gameplay, games, graphics and the like? Actually i would be as bold as to come out with the theory that people apparantly don't give that much a damn about next gen as one might think. I mainly base this on xbox sales, since it offers really great games and services, yet in general, the system isn't selling as good as it should be considering it's superior software catalogue and pricing.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Umm, I had no idea the Wii's rival was the PS3? If anything it's the PS2!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.