By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN GRAN TURISMO 5 REVIEW!!!

Im getting my copy tommorow!!!!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
psrock said:

8.5 IS NOT BASHING THE GAME, it's actually a good score. I wake to people crying about reviews, and then I see the game sitting at 86, and I am like wtf is wrong with you people.

THIS!!!!  get a grip people. 

You have to admit it is like this on here for every PS3 exclusive these days. (not from all PS3 fans I must add)

For many times people have claim there is something wrong with reviews, I have said it's the fans that have the problem. They wait on reviews to tell them if a game is good, a game has to get 9'S AND 10'S to get purchased. Fans should know better, go play infamous, full of flaws but fun as hell, tons of replay value, one of my favourate game this gen. Perfection is not happening, games will always have flaws.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

@ GuiltySpartan

SOME people are mad because they require external validation.  EVERYONE has to like the game/movie/book/tchotchkie/etc. as much as the superfan does, and (if they don't) then they must be proven wrong with the undisputable, totally scientific.... review score.

These people can't be happy with a good score, it has to be GREAT.  If not, then the reviewer is obviously biased.  It is no matter that many scores cluster around the low end, not just a few outliers (of which there are plenty on the high end as well).  Obviously, any reviewer who disagrees with the superfan is unfit to review videogames.

The irony of it is that a game doesn't need a 10 to be fun, but these superfans decry these scores nonetheless, all the while giving publicity to them and showing that they DO care about the reviews even as cries of, "X site is garbage, I don't even consider their scores anymore." ring from their lips.  

Let me put it this way... I expect that with 12 years of pent up frustration, Duke Nukem Forever is going to be the second-coming... of Daikatana.  It will be critically panned, and score much lower than GT5 ever would.  Well, short of any game crashing bugs, it'll be a first day buy for me no matter what.  I intend to have fun with it as the 6's and 5's come rolling in.  Shake it baby!

I guessed it would get 85-89 meta a long time ago.  One of the main reasons I guessed this was because PD were always saying stuff like, we could release anytime but the game has to be perfect, yada yada yada.  When a developer starts blowing smoke up everyones ass, most people start believing it.  And when said smoke isn't up to snuff people review it with a heavier hand.  And I DONT BLAME THEM!

Maybe PD will learn from this next time and just say the game isn't finished, instead of the they just want to polish it more and more. 

All of this said, I believe the game will sell well enough.  It just won't get all of the triple A reviews most here seemed to believe it would get due to the long development time.  I will get to play it tomarrow so I can judge the game for myself.  But I am not expecting anything more than good fun.

Now, when it doesn't sell 8-20 million like everyone here thinks, thats when the meltdowns will start. 

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

kowenicki said:
damndl0ser said:

I guessed it would get 85-89 meta a long time ago.  One of the main reasons I guessed this was because PD were always saying stuff like, we could release anytime but the game has to be perfect, yada yada yada.  When a developer starts blowing smoke up everyones ass, most people start believing it.  And when said smoke isn't up to snuff people review it with a heavier hand.  And I DONT BLAME THEM!

Maybe PD will learn from this next time and just say the game isn't finished, instead of the they just want to polish it more and more. 

All of this said, I believe the game will sell well enough.  It just won't get all of the triple A reviews most here seemed to believe it would get due to the long development time.  I will get to play it tomarrow so I can judge the game for myself.  But I am not expecting anything more than good fun.

Now, when it doesn't sell 8-20 million like everyone here thinks, thats when the meltdowns will start. 

they already started... lots of meltdowns here.

it seems you highlighted the wrong part.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

NICE

As mentioned by Kowenicki in this thread, the reactions, expectations, etc... are the effects of a reviewing system that has broken for far too long.

I long for the day we get rid of scores, that way people need to actually read the reviews. Rarely ever does the writing match up with the final score.

This one is a perfect example. They say it is the best simulator available on consoles, meaning it achieved what it set out to do, yet the scores reveal a different story. It is very confusing to the readers and should be done away with.

That is why I actually like Kotaku reviews.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

8.5 is a great score. Its the high expectations that make this score disappointing.

darthdevidem01 said:
Euphoria14 said:

So as a simulator it is perfect? 

Yeah but then they give it lower than Forza 3

I don't understand this

In the end they're reviewing it as a game, not a driving simulator.

Take this line from PSM3, for example:

"There's no 'rubber banding' to keep AI cars near you and spice things up"

slowmo said:

I'm pretty sure most impartial observers predicted these kind of scores, the game was so hyped up that it was inevitable reviewers would take that into consideration, even though most people would disagree with penalising a game for "hype".  Halo Reach suffered the same fate, Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, etc will too sadly.

I don't care personally as the game is precisely what I expected it to be so I'll be picking it up sometime in the new year when I have the time to play it properly.

I agree, though I find development time also adds a lot to this, which is why MW2 didn't really suffer from overhype.

Just look at FFXIII.  It was absolutely murdered in the review department.  It actually has a metacritic barely above shitty JRPGs like Eternal Sonata, and I attribute it to hype mixed with its incredibly long develompent cycle.  It's a shame, since it's actually a pretty good game, despite its problems near the beginning.

All the cockteasing from Sony in light of the hype has made this all the more brutal for them.