By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 CRITIC REVIEWS & Metacritic Watch Thread!

kowenicki said:
darthdevidem01 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

What I'm getting from the Eurogamer and IGN reviews is that this is a flawed masterpiece. Both were well written and the scores are justified. Both are in agreement that the gameplay and attention to detail is without equal, but the game is let down by odd design choices.

Strangely, despite the dissapointing scores, I'm more hyped than ever after reading those reviews. Especially this part:

"Suddenly – after two days' play – I wasn't playing a sim racing game any more. I wasn't learning a litany of trackside cues and cornering rhythms I might as well perform with my eyes shut. I was driving with the seat of my pants on the open road, feeling a powerful car under me, mapping the next bend with my intuition.

This is an experience I'd always longed for, something I'd glimpsed parts of in Project Gotham 2's Nordschleife Nürburgring or Test Drive Unlimited's untamed roadmap – but never so vividly, and never with such profoundly realistic handling.

For me, this is the Holy Grail of driving games"

Better a flawed diamond than a perfect pebble!

so not "definitive" then?

or not definitive as a racing game but definitive as a driving simulator on console ?

EDIT : NFS getting a better rating ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Pyramid12 said:
Fufinu said:

Wonder what Edge will give this.

A 5/10 or 6/10.

It being PS3 exclusive already confirmed 7/10 now deduct points because of  the game's issues and you have 5/10 from EDGE.

what a load of paranoid nonsense.

Wanna bet it will get 7 and lower from edge???

kowenicki said:
darthdevidem01 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

What I'm getting from the Eurogamer and IGN reviews is that this is a flawed masterpiece. Both were well written and the scores are justified. Both are in agreement that the gameplay and attention to detail is without equal, but the game is let down by odd design choices.

Strangely, despite the dissapointing scores, I'm more hyped than ever after reading those reviews. Especially this part:

"Suddenly – after two days' play – I wasn't playing a sim racing game any more. I wasn't learning a litany of trackside cues and cornering rhythms I might as well perform with my eyes shut. I was driving with the seat of my pants on the open road, feeling a powerful car under me, mapping the next bend with my intuition.

This is an experience I'd always longed for, something I'd glimpsed parts of in Project Gotham 2's Nordschleife Nürburgring or Test Drive Unlimited's untamed roadmap – but never so vividly, and never with such profoundly realistic handling.

For me, this is the Holy Grail of driving games"

Better a flawed diamond than a perfect pebble!

so not "definitive" then?

Not according to critics no....and currently NFS Shift has a higher metacritic score

@libellule

I have a driving lesson now at 11AM....I'll update once I'm back!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

GamefitNation = A /A

http://gamerfitnation.org/profiles/blogs/gamer-fit-nation-presents?xg_source=activity

The Gamers Hub = 4/5

http://www.thegamershub.net/2010/11/gran-turismo-5-review

GamePro = 4.5/5

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/217386/gran-turismo-5/

Gamerss gave it 10/10

http://www.gamerss.co.uk/review-gran-turismo-5

Personally i think there is a lot of bullshit in some of these reviews. Both exagerating the game and undermining it. Like some say it is the best racing game but yet give it lower scores then other recent racing games like NFS etc..

At the end of the day whatever the review score is it is a good game. People should still check it out.

Around the Network
Pyramid12 said:

Gamepro 4.5/5.

VDG 8/10.

I think it should be remembered that Gamepro gave Ninja Blade a 5/5.

They lost all credibility with me there.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think GT5 is suffering from high expectations and long development cycle, I am basing this on the reviews currently submitted to metacritic. The other point that crops up a lot is that GT5 fans will not be dissapointed which ultimately is important but GT5 probably is not going to find as many new customers because of it.

The CVG quote sums up the problem best

"High expectations are justified when a game has been in development so long and
GT5 has more than a faint whiff of disappointment about it"

They gave the GT5 80/100 which is not a bad score, I do wonder how much the above comments affected the score or even if they are valid enough.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Some reviews scores below 9 because it's not revolucionary? OMG.

Anyway best racing game ever.

Most deffinatly not the best racing game ever...

GT5 is a good game but it doesn't tick all the boxes. Especially if we are comparing to Forza 3. The sound is not as good, the crash physics are not as good, the tracks overall are less varied and not as good, the AI is nowhere near as good, the customization is nowhere near as good, the ability to design your cars is not in it, the menus are basic, has less cars that look detailed 200 compared to Forza's 400 etc.

The areas where i think Gt5 is better is the graphics of the overall game. The 200 premium cars look better then any other cars ever created, period. The racing world looks awesome from the green grass to the racing stands.

I am a huge racing fan, if you look at my gamer tags your see i have pretty much every racing game this gen on both consoles. GT5 is a really good game, but best racing game this gen in terms of simulation still belongs to Forza 3. I think overall the reviews reflect that.

It really seems that PD added more content with the cost of polish. For some people this is problem for some it's not as there is not really any game breaking moments.  And in the end what is the most important score especially in driving game is gameplay and as far as I have read these reviews GT5 plays very well. Might buy this sometime as I have not bought driving game yet this gen.