By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - do you agree with the new TSA security measures?

do you agree with the new TSA security measures?

yes 24 25.26%

no 47 49.47%

don't care 11 11.58%

another great thread,from... 1 1.05%

it's all overblown 2 2.11%

the should use different tactics 9 9.47%

Total:94

Do you agree with the new TSA security measures. As you may know,if you don't go through the new full body scan machines,you have to be subjective to a pat-down,no matter who you are. So is this really being invasive? Are they just doing this to be extra safe. I personally don't see what the big deal is. Just go through the scan machine and be on your way. As long as I'm safe,I don't care. I think all of this is being way overblown in the media. This is just the world we live in,you want to travel bye plane,then expect these security measures. You can always travel by some other form of transportation. I don't travel that often,but I do every once in awhile,so this is no big deal to me. So how are the security measures in other countries? Should they just get rid of the TSA all together? So,what do you guys think?

Around the Network

there's no correct answer here... this is simplified and reality is more complicated.

But

when a terrorist attacks. they "Didn't do enough to prevent"

When they install things to prevent they "are invading are privacy."

They being the government or whatever.

First off, from my understanding of US laws it classifies as sexual assualt; after all an individual (or group) is using their position of power to touch you in sensitive areas and/or taking pictures of you without clothing on.

Secondly, it is an illegal search. There is no probable cause for these searches and they are certainly not being carried out with a warrant from a judge.

Thirdly, with the resources (man power and monetary resources) that are going to ensure that no one can go onto the plane without their "junk" being searched it is likely that people are less safe because the resources have been taken away from protecting against other attacks.

HappySqurriel said:

First off, from my understanding of US laws it classifies as sexual assualt; after all an individual (or group) is using their position of power to touch you in sensitive areas and/or taking pictures of you without clothing on.

Secondly, it is an illegal search. There is no probable cause for these searches and they are certainly not being carried out with a warrant from a judge.

Thirdly, with the resources (man power and monetary resources) that are going to ensure that no one can go onto the plane without their "junk" being searched it is likely that people are less safe because the resources have been taken away from protecting against other attacks.

well all that is true. Except for your clothing is on when the picture is taken :P

Not saying it's right again, but the cops randomly stop people for DUI... etc... not that I agree without, beings I've gotten arrested for a DUI, when it was prescription medication because I'm bipolar.

What would you have them do to prevent terrorism? Is my question. It's easy to critisize solutions. When you have no answers to the problem. If you have an idea than sure. Just wondering what your idea was

I have no better ideas so I don't critisize the solution. I mean yes eliminating terrorists is the root, and the destroying the roots always the best. But in the meantime if eliminating terrorists is possible (I don't think so). you can ignore or try to alleviate the symptoms (Planes going into buildings and such).

Edit
I guess one solution that I'd agree with. Was  reinforcing the cockpit were good ideas as were others I think that I forgot and then stand pat. But then politics get into the situation of what is the government doing to prevent terrorism. When imo, some terrorism you can not realistically prevent.

So I guess I sort of agree with you after randomly thing.

No, I disagree with it. Here's why:

1 - Think of computer hackers. Every time a new Antivirus comes out/updates, hackers find a way around it. New security measures just mean that terrorists will find a workaround.

2 - When your number is up, your number is up. Your death was known before you entered this world. Nothing will stop that. If you were destined to be part of a giant missle slamming into the side of a building, it was in the stars long ago. Every day you wake up, you are gambling with your life. So STOP BEING SCARED. You will die, we all will. Some will die young, some will die old.

3 - I paraphrase from Benjamin Franklin - He who surrenders freedom for security deserves neither.

4 - This nation is turning into a police state. Since GW Bush came into office, our freedoms have been shat upon. If we don't start turning the tide, we may have as well surrendered to Hitler.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

well

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/airport-pat-down-leaves-traveller-covered-in-urine/story-e6frfq80-1225958372649

this says it all really.

Raze said:

No, I disagree with it. Here's why:

When your number is up, your number is up. Your death was known before you entered this world. Nothing will stop that. If you were destined to be part of a giant missle slamming into the side of a building, it was in the stars long ago. Every day you wake up, you are gambling with your life. So STOP BEING SCARED. You will die, we all will. Some will die young, some will die old.

Written in witch stars exactly;..Just the same nonsenses kids use..

'Why didn't you made your homework?'  'Can't do about it, it was written in the stars that I would not make it, or God did not wanted it';...

Edit: On topic: Prefer they make it harder for terrorists to do something, always nice that talk about freedom but when something happens;..'The state should have done this, the governemnt this, complain, complain complain...

Part of the strategy involves constantly changing the conditions of security. The more predictable the conditions are, the easier they are to counter.

Of course in doing this, the conditions being enforced appear to be arbitrary, and in many ways they are.

There is no definititve solution; certainly not one that can be both 100% effective while simultaneously appeasing everyone who felt inconvenienced or violated by the implemented security measures.

But, as it's already been pointed out, measures, regardless of how intrusive, arbitrary and inconvenient they may be, are still a part of the job virtually everyone will hold the government responsible for.

If anything happens due to security measures being "too lax" or just plain non-existent, you can bet everyone who felt violated, inconvenienced or even just plain annoyed at having to take off their shoes while waiting at a security checkpoint, will immediately look for a place to point the finger at for failing to do enough.

At any rate, the scanners are supposed to make security checks more effective as well as more expedient (read: convenient). Hardly anything worse than being required to go through a metal detector or having a security guard sweep you with the wand.

Rabble rabble rabble!

I don't mind the screening but as many experts have said it is inneffective.  Even the TSA head said that the underwear bomber would not have been cause using these methods.  Further many flights originate outside the U.S. so these pat downs are further proved ineffective.  Intelligence, profiling and just training TSA agents better like Israel does or hiring an independent agency to conduct the checkpoint checks instead of molesting little kids and feeling up grandma.