By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No franchise older than you

Born in 1982.  Mario came in 1981.  I think that would be the only one that I would have to leave behind.  Zelda and Final Fantasy would be all okay.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

I dunno, I was born in 1986, maybe mario (NOOOOOOOOOOO!), Dk, Zelda?... 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Actually, anybody at least 25 years old is pretty much safe going by the OP's proposition. But if you're 20 or less you'd be kinda screwed, but there are lots of franchises from the mid 90s and 2000s, and more keep coming. But there are so many franchises that started long ago you wouldn't believe all the games you'll be missing, it would surprise you. Like Madden NFL which started back in 1988. Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, Bionic Commando, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Super Mario, Zelda, Metroid (all of the still major Nintendo series), Street Fighter (1987), Prince of Pesia (1989)...It would suck not to have some of those games. But not me :P I'm an old fart, and I couldn't care less for PONG!

twesterm said:
Berstuck said:

Well Donkey Kong and the original mario (jumpman) were from 81 and pacman from 80 so i would miss out on those. Everything after that i'd still be able to enjoy.

Jumpman?  Wasn't that a game on the PCJr where you were chased by dots?  Mario was never Jumpman, though Super Mario BRros (I know, wasn't his first appearance) was built on the idea "jumping is fun."

And yeah, my gaming habits wouldn't change much since I'm 1981.

That was the first way of calling of Mario when he was the character in Donkey Kong "Jumpman", then Miyamoto was going to name him "Mr. Video" but Nintendo of America came with the name "Mario" after Mario Segale, their warehouse landlord...

I was thinking about it, and the only franchise from before i was born (1st gen and part of 2nd gen) that i would miss is Pac-Man...

i woudnt care! i was born in 1994.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

I can still play Pokemon (phew)

No Mario, Zelda etc though.. :(

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

This wouldn't change much for me.  In fact, I can't think of a franchise older than me that still gets regular releases except Donkey Kong and (perhaps) by exention Mario (if you somehow don't think that franchise was more legitimately started by Mario Bros.).  Losing DK is no loss to me, though losing Mario be more of a concern.  Nothing else would be impacted for me, in terms of franchises.  All of my other favorite series (which Mario's not that high in)would be completely unaffected.  In fact, almost all of the series I can think of that have had releases in the last 20-25 years don;t pre-date me, so they'd all be eligible for my play list.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I was born in 1992, so I would lose Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc... damn

I guess I could live off Pokemon, Monster Hunter and some other games

The 2 GoWs: God of War and Gears of Wars

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

twesterm said:
Berstuck said:

Well Donkey Kong and the original mario (jumpman) were from 81 and pacman from 80 so i would miss out on those. Everything after that i'd still be able to enjoy.

Jumpman?  Wasn't that a game on the PCJr where you were chased by dots?  Mario was never Jumpman, though Super Mario BRros (I know, wasn't his first appearance) was built on the idea "jumping is fun."

And yeah, my gaming habits wouldn't change much since I'm 1981.

Yes there was a totally seperate game called jumpman that had nothing to do with mario but the original mario from the 1981 version of donkey kong was called jumpman also.  Google it if you don't believe me but i thought it was pretty common knowledge.