By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which third party company is simply going to miss the Wii boat?

I think no one will miss the boat besides EPIC, but Konami and Square-Enix will arrive kind of late to the party. Bod, you should ask the same question next year.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

Around the Network

Updated with more developers:

Square Enix: 2 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games, Chocobo's Dungeon, and Dragon Quest Swords. So 3 games in 2 minor franchises and one spin-off. Not a stellar step yet, but certainly showing willingness to experiment with success on the Wii, and they have acheived success on their first game (DQ:S) with .5 million in Japan alone.

Konami: Dewy's Adventure, DDR Hottest Party, Elebits, MLB Power Pros, and Wii Fitness (their attempt to clone Wii Fit). Again, nothing particularly impressive in there except MLB Power Pros. That's actually the best Baseball game released in years and is around 85.4% on Gamerankings. So, not AAA quality, but not bad. There is certainly hope for them in the future.

Capcom: No question of Wii support at all. Their largest franchise in Japan, Monster Hunter, was moved to a Wii exclusive. Zack & Wiki may not have been expensive to make but it's very high quality, and they were kind enough to price it at $40. Resident Evil 4 Wii upgraded everything in the PS2 version including the graphics (albiet to the GC standard) implemented a control scheme perfectly, and then to top it off was priced at a great budget price of $30. The same is being done with Okami. You can complain that these are ports, but they are ports of 2 of the best games of the last generation, and they are being priced reasonably, and will be successful for that reason.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles is a spinoff, but it's not cheap or crappy. There is a massive amount of content in it. We Love Golf is their attempt to make an "Everybody's Golf" for the Wii, and again they have clearly put some effort into it. Clearly they are willing to shift some effort to Wii development. They already have in a reasonable amount.

Namco Bandai: Their investment isn't really in question either. With Tales of Symphonia: KoR, Sword of Legendia, Fragile, and Space Station Tycoon they are giving it a good shot with one of their biggest franchises (Tales) and making a new (non cash-in) franchise with Fragile.

Marvelous: Harvest Moon goes pretty much everywhere usually, but this generation it appears to only be on the Wii. They also have the new IP in King Story, which represents a very large and ambitious undertaking with many developers. Oboro Muramasa Youtouden is the sequel to the incredible PS2 game Odin Sphere. There are rumors of a Rune Factory hitting Wii too. Marvelous seems more commited to the Wii than any developer as the vast majority of their big games are on the system. Shouldn't be any issues with this developer.

Tecmo: If you asked me what Tecmo's biggest franchise is after Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden I would tell you Fatal Frame. Fatal Frame 4 is a very big deal from Tecmo. Not only is it one of their bigger franchises, but the PS3 and 360 versions were canceled for a Wii version instead. Add to that the fact that they hired Grasshopper Studios for this (not cheap!), and you are looking at a major project from them. A couple crappy golf games don't mean much, but there is certainly hope for this developer on the Wii. Especially when they are willing to put a game like Ninja Gaiden on the DS.

Sega: Their first big game was Sonic and the Secret Rings, which was very successful and was certainly not a cash-in. The graphics are still among the best on the Wii. Super Monkey Ball was decent too and is one of their bigger franchises. NiGHTS 2, a new Samba de Amigo, and Mario & Sonic all represent decent development efforts as well. The future of their games is unclear, but there are certainly positive signs of them spending development effort on the system.

Atlus: Trauma Center Second Opinion and New Blood were hardly big budget projects, but they were also high quality.  Atlus isn't a huge player in the development field, but they still come up with some interesting concepts.  Draglade is comming to the Wii (don't know how much it will be like the DS game), as is Baroque.  Baroque is a big PS2 RPG that was released this year in Japan but will have a Wii version for its American release as well.  Not necessarily a huge investment, but it's a game a lot of people have been requesting.  There are certainly future prospects from Atlus on the Wii.

Eidos: Tomb Raider Anniversary is a port of the PS2 game. Monster Lab does look like it could be interesting though. It's from the ground up and it wasn't given a release date 6 months after its announcement (implying it's not a cash-in). This seems like a test for them, and if the game does well I could see them giving the Wii signifficant support in the future.

Free Radical: Ah the Timesplitters developers. Well, they have been very secretive about their plans for this generation and for their big franchise. It's worth noting that they have repeatedly complimented the Wii and its design. They have also dropped some "hints" that could suggest the game will be on the Wii, but at this time it's really tough to tell what it will end up being.

Ubisoft: Their 2 first games were Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids. They may not have been the best games ever, but they weren't cheap, and they were both very successful. Red Steel 2 was confirmed (basically) in a Nintendo Power a while back with online play, and Ubisoft recently promised they were going to be making "Nintendo quality" games on the Wii in 2008. Even admitting that their first year games were not up to that standard. That certainly sounds like a commited developer.

Midway: Nothing but crap, but their recent financials (before the flops of Stranglehold and Blacksite) showed them to be near going under. UT3 sales are reportedly crappy too. They won't survive the generation.

EA: Well, EA is EA and a lot of their games will be crappy, but that doesn't mean they aren't willing to invest in the Wii. Spore on Wii is a very big deal. So is Stephen Spielburg's game Blocks. These represent signifficant investments in the little white box. Of course the Wii will continue to recieve Madden and other sports games. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 was decent, and the Wii continues to get all the standard milked franchises from EA.

Activision: There wasn't going to be a Wii version of GH3 initially. Deciding to make one was obviously them giving up and throwing in their cards, and it achieved great results! The Wii version has the potential to outsell even the 360 version with the legs it's had. Just like EA the Wii is getting all their milked franchises. Activision's commitment remains to be seen, but they are off to a decent start.

Rockstar: Table Tennis was crap, but Manhunt 2 showed some interest in the console. It's also interesting that their Bully remake is going to be on the 360 and the Wii but not the PS3. There is certainly opportunity here for some major titles.

Bioware: Now part of EA, and it's very likely that their games will be much less exclusive than they were before the merger (expect Mass Effect on PC). They have shown the desire to branch out into family games with their development of Sonic RPG on the DS. The Wii is certainly a possible avenue for them.

Epic: Mark Rein has repeatedly attacked the Wii and the chances are slim to none. The company lives off graphics anyway.

Valve: This may come as a surprise, but I think it's very possible for Valve to create a major Wii game. Gabe Newell has made a point of saying the Wii is the only next gen system, and also pointed out that it interests him greatly and he loves his own Wii, saying he uses it more than his 360 and PS3 combined. I really think Valve could end up putting out a big Wii game at some point.

NinjaguyDan said:
Free Radical is a company I want to add to the list. I guess we will see TS 4 on the Wii, and if that is a success, they probably will continue to support the Wii because they seem to really like the console. Knowing that they are former Rare employees makes it a sure bet to say they will release some games on a successful Nintendo console actually.

http://www.psu.com/PSU-talks-with-Free-Radical---Haze-and-Timesplitters-4-Feature--a2034-p0.php

After reading that interview I was left with the impression that they're working on the PS3 exclusively.

If Haze doesn't meet sales expectations then they may change their tune.

Hehe this interview is quite different:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84155

So is this one:

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/09/18/free-radical-reads-our-diary/ 

naznatips said:

Epic: Mark Rein has repeatedly attacked the Wii and the chances are slim to none. The company lives off graphics anyway.

Valve: This may come as a surprise, but I think it's very possible for Valve to create a major Wii game. Gabe Newell has made a point of saying the Wii is the only next gen system, and also pointed out that it interests him greatly and he loves his own Wii, saying he uses it more than his 360 and PS3 combined. I really think Valve could end up putting out a big Wii game at some point.

While Epic does, indeed, thrive on graphics, I'm sure you'd agree, that they sure own up on the gameplay as well!

Gabe Newell. That doesnt seem to want to develop on the PS3. It'd be interesting to see what he could come up for the Wii. You've raised my interest! 

Girl Gamer Elite said:
This all just points to how really clueless developers are now-a-days. Without Sony as the dominating force on the market, they're completely lost as what to do.

The developers are still doing a great job.  Have you noticed the ridiculous amount of great third party games released the last few months?  2008 looks to be a fantastic year as well.

It's fairly clear that most companies are putting their top projects on PS3/360/PC and then their more casual games on the Wii.  If the game doesn't do a lot processing-wise and doesn't rely on graphics, it appears on the Wii as well (like Guitar Hero).

Around the Network
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
This all just points to how really clueless developers are now-a-days. Without Sony as the dominating force on the market, they're completely lost as what to do.

The developers are still doing a great job. Have you noticed the ridiculous amount of great third party games released the last few months? 2008 looks to be a fantastic year as well.

It's fairly clear that most companies are putting their top projects on PS3/360/PC and then their more casual games on the Wii. If the game doesn't do a lot processing-wise and doesn't rely on graphics, it appears on the Wii as well (like Guitar Hero).

From a developer standpoint nothing is fairly clear a year after launch.  Ask the Sony what was "fairly clear" with regards to third party support on the PSP at this point in its life.  They would have told you that "most companies are putting their top projects on PSP and then their more casual games on the DS."  Funny how things turn out isn't it?

naznatips said:

Wasn't that Will Wright of Spore fame? Or did fatty say that?

On Topic: As everyone has said, Konami, Square Enix and Rockstar.

Konami's reason: Hey, we tried OUR BEST with those grandiose adventures called Dewey and Elebits, but people simply ignored it. Only Nintendo software sells on Nintendo consoles. No, lack of advertising and overall quality of the game has NOTHING to do with them failing.

Square Enix's reason: Motion controllers? Controller? Our games are movies ya know. You are not supposed to play with them with your puny motion controllers. Our games are for watching only.

Rockstar: Nintendo has casual gamers... but not the kind of casual gamers that like our games (blood, sex thirsty teenagers).

Thinking about it, Rockstar's reason seems like the most fair.

fazz said:
naznatips said:

Wasn't that Will Wright of Spore fame? Or did fatty say that?

On Topic: As everyone has said, Konami, Square Enix and Rockstar.

Konami's reason: Hey, we tried OUR BEST with those grandiose adventures called Dewey and Elebits, but people simply ignored it. Only Nintendo software sells on Nintendo consoles. No, lack of advertising and overall quality of the game has NOTHING to do with them failing.

Square Enix's reason: Motion controllers? Controller? Our games are movies ya know. You are not supposed to play with them with your puny motion controllers. Our games are for watching only.

Rockstar: Nintendo has casual gamers... but not the kind of casual gamers that like our games (blood, sex thirsty teenagers).

Thinking about it, Rockstar's reason seems like the most fair.

Will Wright did say it. That doesn't mean Newell didn't as well however.

RockStar's trying to jump on the Wii bandwagon now though. They're too far into development for GTA4, but they did port over RockStar's Table Tennis and the deluxe Bully or whatever. And Manhunt 2 with the new controls.

Square can go rape themselves with their movie logic. They should just put out a DVD of speedruns of all their games, but with all the non-boss battles edited out.

Konami's nuts! I fucking love Elebits! I have yet to play Dewy's Adventure because I'm a lazy bastard, but I'm very interested. Elebits ruled so hard.

Valve should port Portal alone to the Wii as a budget title. It's got that great twist on FPS games that could attract non-gamers, casual gamers, relapsed ex-gamers, whatever you want to call your non-traditional and/or new-gamer folk. You just show people the trailer and their jaws drop. It had the same effect on me as Wii Sports.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Cryoakira said:
I think that, saved Capcom (maybe), every third party publishers will miss the Wii boat.

And to me, that's not a matter of efforts or creativity.

Even if some games aren't that good, third parties actually put some decent titles on the table (Dewy, Zak & Wiki, Rayman, Table Tennis, Mercury Meltdonw, Trauma Center, Sonic...). On any console, they would do decent sales, and on a console as strong as the Wii, you would even expect good sales.
But they all kind of bomb, one after another.

On the one hand probably because casual are just happy with Wiisport, Wiiplay, and soon WiiFit.
On the other hand because gamers are into Nintendo's hits, just like with the N64 and the GC.

So the question is : once PS2 (and its easy port to the Wii) is gone, how many studios are going to take the risk to develop on the Wii ?

As for the bolded parts... First, Wiis strenght is in it's lineups variety, not that all the games are in one or two genres which sell and the rest don't. The games you mentioned, are all basically in different genres. You can't say that Trauma Center, Rayman RR and Sonic wouldn't have sold good. Besides, look at Wiis top selling games, if we count in the individually sold games, you can see that Wii owners like adventure games, party games, shooters, platformers etc... And when you look at for example 360:s best selling games, you can see that 360 owners like shooters, racing games and EA:s sports games. Considering the quality of Nintendo published games, it's no wonder they sell. N64 and GC eventually didn't have other quality games than Nintendos 1st party, so that makes it pretty bad example. But, what Nintendo does with its 1st party games, is create variety to Wiis userbase. Look at Nintendos games released this year, or from the launch, how many share a genre? Not many. When developers look at the best selling games, they see how many different type of games have sold on Wii. Meaning that when SMG got released, and it sold good, Nintendo created a userbase for 3D platformers. Or when Zelda TP had its release Nintendo created a userbase for adventure games etc. So when you expect 3rd party games to sell on Wii just like they do on 360, you have to compare the variety of the best selling games with 360. Even that there are overlap (meaning that one gamer buys games from different genres), you can clearly see that there is a big diffence.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.