By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which third party company is simply going to miss the Wii boat?

Kasz216 said:
fazz said:
naznatips said:

Valve: This may come as a surprise, but I think it's very possible for Valve to create a major Wii game. Gabe Newell has made a point of saying the Wii is the only next gen system,

Wasn't that Will Wright of Spore fame? Or did fatty say that?

Will Wright did say it. That doesn't mean Newell didn't as well however

Well I don't know, I just don't remember fatty saying that

And Sega would be very stupid to ignore the success they are achieving on the Wii... oh wait...

Sega is usually very stupid. 

Around the Network

I hope it's true about Red Steel 2. I read it somewhere too, but forgot the source.

I actually liked the first game. I loved the cheesy 80's action movie plot and dialogue. It kinda reminded me of Showdown in Little Tokyo. It was refreshing to fight yakuza instead of nazis or aliens for once. That insane circus level was fucking hilarious too.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

fazz said:
Kasz216 said:
fazz said:
naznatips said:

Valve: This may come as a surprise, but I think it's very possible for Valve to create a major Wii game. Gabe Newell has made a point of saying the Wii is the only next gen system,

Wasn't that Will Wright of Spore fame? Or did fatty say that?

Will Wright did say it. That doesn't mean Newell didn't as well however

Well I don't know, I just don't remember fatty saying that

And Sega would be very stupid to ignore the success they are achieving on the Wii... oh wait...

Sega is usually very stupid.

Well, he didn't exactly say that, but he did basically call it the only true advancement in technology right now. Check it out:

GN: The Wii is a big hole in our strategy right now. As game designers you don’t really have to think of the PS3 or 360 being radically different from a PC. They’re a PC with a different controller. The game doesn’t have to change that dramatically. The machines render graphics. But the Wii is clearly challenging game designers to think very, very differently. The DS did the same thing. When I saw the DS before it shipped, I thought the PSP was going to crush it. 'What’s this stupid gimmick with the touchscreen?' As soon as I saw the games that Nintendo did, as a game designer, I went, 'Oh wow, I totally marginalised these guys incorrectly'. This was a game-driven set of decisions about what they were given. The Wii is the same way. They’ve proven that input is incredibly important in a way that the industry had kind of forgotten. They drove home the fact that on the PC we are using an input device from 1984 [the mouse]. But nothing has really changed since then: that probably indicates we’ve missed a lot of opportunities to do a lot of interesting stuff. Before 3D, after 3D, before being connected, after being connected – those were advances that the PC led, but now the PC is way behind in terms of input and the Wii is the best opportunity to explore this.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7421&Itemid=51 

Definitely sounds like he's interested.

If this thread is high in the Hot Topics list anyway now, I want to add that Codemasters is really missing the Wii boat just in case someone has not checked out the thread about their 08 lineup yet.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Bodhesatva said:

Ugh, I can't believe anyone is saying Dewey's adventure would be some smash hit anywhere. It's a quirky little title:

Well said.

The age content is also aimed at the very young.

How the hell would it have done better with the PS360 "OMG colors are teh ghey" demographic?

Oh, and people, don't call Gabe Newell "fatty". That's just uncalled for. The poor bastard probably spent hours at the office late at night making sure Orange Box came out as well as it did and when that kind of thing happens, you tend not to eat properly because the only places open that late don't sell healthy food.

Cut the man some slack. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

Blizz dont even make console games

Koei is doing Opoona. I'd guess them to be in a similar situation as Marvelous. I don't know many of their titles, but I believe they put almost all of them on the PS2. If they can figure out controls (and if the PS2 ever dies) I'd expect them to put most of their stuff on Wii this time around because it's cheapest.