By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect overtracked by 500k? PS3 > 360 weekly HW?

This is ridiculous, when have companies ever used numbers representing data sold to consumers, ever since I've been on this site everyones always said the same thing: "They track units shipped to retailers but we track units sold to consumers".

I can't believe people are actually arguing this, I'm not saying that VGchartz is wrong, but when was the last time Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft used actual data sold to consumers. And don't tell me it's because of Greenberg's tweet, he has absolutely no evidence the article he uses as a source doesn't specify consumers or shipped.

And why the heck would Micorsoft round off there numbers to a lower number??? Obviously if they would have sold closer to 1.1M or 1.2M they would have specified that.

Not hating on Micorosoft or Kinect sales, Vgchartz could be spot on with the totals, I just can't believe people are arguing something that has always been so clear in the past.

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
AnthonyW86 said:
AussieGecko said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Well the article also stated ''over 1 million sold on the market'', so i guess it really is sold to consumers. Though i can still hardly believe a million people actually spent $150 on a add-on(not saying that it's a bad product, $150 just seems like a steep price point), and i'm still doubtfull sales will continue at this pace for the rest of the month(excluding black friday).

did you buy move?

Yes i did actually, and i was planning on buying Kinect but i'm fairly certain it won't work in combination with a projector(and i was kind of pissed of over the whole $500 marketing budget thing, that i would practically be paying for as a early adaptor).

okay how much would you be paying for a 2 player experience? From what I have heard from US its not that different to australia.

In Aus

Move starter 99 (rrp ?)

motion control 70 (rrp ?)

Kinect 185 ave that i have seen (rrp is 199 but only EB that i have seen have had it at that price)

Here it's 60 euro's for a starter pack and 40 for a Move controller, Kinect is 150 euro's here. However my and my best mate both bought a starter pack for 60(120 euro's total), this way we both have Move at home(two move systems) and whenever we want to multiplay one of us brings a controller along. For 150 we would still only get 1 Kinect system.

Anyway at 60 people are still much more likely to try out move than pay 150 for Kinect, even if you get a full game with the last one.

After reading through this thread there's now smoke coming out of my ears.

We have a report and a AG's twitter saying more or less clearly (extremely clearly in latter case) that over 1 million units has been sold to consumers in ten days.

And now we are supposed to believe that these are shipment numbers based on absolutely nothing.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

AussieGecko said:
Jordahn said:
AussieGecko said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Well the article also stated ''over 1 million sold on the market'', so i guess it really is sold to consumers. Though i can still hardly believe a million people actually spent $150 on a add-on(not saying that it's a bad product, $150 just seems like a steep price point), and i'm still doubtfull sales will continue at this pace for the rest of the month(excluding black friday).

did you buy move?

Did you?

No, but I am also not the one stating that 150 for a(n) add-on is a "steep price point" I just wanted to show that compared to the competitor that has an add on its not that different.

Have you seen the price for Move and Kinect in EU? the Move starter pack is almost 1/3 the price of Kinect. And it's free if you buy it with a 320 GB system.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

cool48 said:

This is ridiculous, when have companies ever used numbers representing data sold to consumers, ever since I've been on this site everyones always said the same thing: "They track units shipped to retailers but we track units sold to consumers".

I can't believe people are actually arguing this, I'm not saying that VGchartz is wrong, but when was the last time Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft used actual data sold to consumers. And don't tell me it's because of Greenberg's tweet, he has absolutely no evidence the article he uses as a source doesn't specify consumers or shipped.

And why the heck would Micorsoft round off there numbers to a lower number??? Obviously if they would have sold closer to 1.1M or 1.2M they would have specified that.

Not hating on Micorosoft or Kinect sales, Vgchartz could be spot on with the totals, I just can't believe people are arguing something that has always been so clear in the past.

I do agree it's a bit unusual for a company to state their sales as ''sold to consumers'', though if the sell-through was close to 100% shipped and sold to consumers basically mean the same thing don't they? And since it's never 100% sell-through rounding off the number makes sense aswell.

Around the Network

it says over 1 million....are you blind

scat398 said:

This is actually emabarrasing for some of the members on this site.  I've seen people try and spin but this just falls into the crazy category.  We all know this is a site with a more pro-sony and anti-ms community, but lets not take it to the next level where nothing can be accepted as fact unless it's positive for sony and negative for MS. 

Ms did a great job with hyping kinect and now they are being rewarded and VG chartz is too, by accuratley putting together solid numbers before the offical ones were released.  When our own community tries to discredit those numbers, it affects the people that we support (ioi, source and of course others), they deserve our respect and so do the numbers they work hard to put together.

This post is straight Frosted Flakes!

AnthonyW86 said:

I do agree it's a bit unusual for a company to state their sales as ''sold to consumers'', though if the sell-through was close to 100% shipped and sold to consumers basically mean the same thing don't they? And since it's never 100% sell-through rounding off the number makes sense aswell.

Agreed if the sell through was damn close to 100% this could make sense, but I have difficulty believing it was that high.

cool48 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Agreed if the sell through was damn close to 100% this could make sense, but I have difficulty believing it was that high.

as oppose to Sony's claims, I bet they are 100% right, lol

cool48 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I certainly agree with you, i do think it is on the high side, escpecially a 100% sell through outside U.S. seems a bit unlikely to me. But i don't think Microsoft would lie about their numbers, let's see how sales evolve in the next few weeks. If Microsoft still posts in ''sold to consumers'' by then, something fishy going is confirmed.