By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-Gen: Nintendo Not #1

Not matter what you think, no one can predict what Next Gen is gonna be like.

There's not guarantee that Nintendo will be 1st next gen nor is there any guarantee that Nintendo won't be 1st so you just can't determine next gen.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Mummelmann said:

So Nintendo wins next gen by default? Is that what people think?

I wouldn't say that ...

An individual buying a console in a generation is probably far more likely to buy the follow up console from that manufacturer than someone who didn't buy that console, and third party publishers will tend to support a system that is the successor to a more popular system. While these rules are not written in stone, it does indicate that the successor to the most popular system in a generation has a massive advantage.

Like all advantages this can be overcome, in particular if the manufacturer makes significant mistakes. Of course, when it comes to speculation about mistakes it is equally as likely (potentially more likely) that the manufacturer of a trailing console will make mistakes which hurt its success in the following generation.

Underline; will this be the case with the Wii's successor though? It has pretty poor support as is and the recent declines have only spurred on the 3rd parties' feelings towards it and magnified them.

Like you said, mistakes can lose ground, Sony are the living embodiment of such mistakes.

You do realize that people have been saying this ever since the Wii came out, don't you?

Killiana1a said:

II. Complete, Entire, Utter Underestimation of Online Gaming

Nintendo is stuck in the 1980s and 1990s when it comes to multiplayer. They think putting out a console so that the whole family can play is multiplayer. Sorry, but the younger and current gamers who buy games year round besides the Holidays conceptualize multiplayer as sitting alone in their room with their headset on and connecting with their friends via Xbox Live or PSN.

Is it no wonder that Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops have had the best opening 1st week sales ever in the history of gaming? No, if you consider that the majority of video gamers conceptualize multiplayer as an activity performed online, not in their living room.

And ms and sony have a complete, entire, utter underestimation of local offline co-op. It will be easy for nintendo to step up its online experience(hell all they have to do is have one), what are MS and Sony going to do to local split screen? The wii is a blast with some friends over, all we can really do on the 360/ps3 is split screen fps (and even than only 2 people sometimes)

Mummelmann said:
HappySqurriel said:
Mummelmann said:

So Nintendo wins next gen by default? Is that what people think?

I wouldn't say that ...

An individual buying a console in a generation is probably far more likely to buy the follow up console from that manufacturer than someone who didn't buy that console, and third party publishers will tend to support a system that is the successor to a more popular system. While these rules are not written in stone, it does indicate that the successor to the most popular system in a generation has a massive advantage.

Like all advantages this can be overcome, in particular if the manufacturer makes significant mistakes. Of course, when it comes to speculation about mistakes it is equally as likely (potentially more likely) that the manufacturer of a trailing console will make mistakes which hurt its success in the following generation.

Underline; will this be the case with the Wii's successor though? It has pretty poor support as is and the recent declines have only spurred on the 3rd parties' feelings towards it and magnified them.

Like you said, mistakes can lose ground, Sony are the living embodiment of such mistakes.

A large portion of the weakness in third party support for the Wii can be attributed to third party publishers betting so heavily on the success of the successor to the previous generation's dominant console.  It wasn't until after the Wii passed the XBox 360 in worldwide sales and was still selling at (roughly) the level of the PS3 and XBox 360 combined that most third party publishers would accept the Wii as being a viable platform; and with the difference in capabilities between the HD consoles and the Wii, few projects could be switched to the Wii in mid development, and most development teams had updated tool-sets and team sizes to handle HD projects and didn't want to convert back to Wii games.

With the success of the Wii it is unlikely that any third party publisher will ignore its successor in the same way they ignored the Wii, or allow their development teams to migrate entirely away from what Nintendo produces. If you assume that the successor to the Wii may be more in line with the processing power of the HD console's successors (partially because Nintendo increases performance, partially because the HD console manufacturers reduce initial costs of their console by reducing performance, and partially because of diminishing returns and enhancements of little value) it become entirely possible that 80% or more of third party games will be released on the successor to the Wii in some form.

Or to put it another way ... Third party publishers bet so heavily on the PS3 based on the success of the PS2 that they ignored the popularity of the Wii and the massive price of the PS3. What makes you think that third party publishers wouldn't bet heavily on the successor to the most successful console in this generation?

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
WereKitten said:
richardhutnik said:

Nintendo is doing this.  Did you forget the 3DS?  That is a Blue Ocean move.  Did you even think that Nintendo would do a 3DS before it was announced?  By the time others move into there, they will be into another market.  Nintendo HAS already moved on and the videogame industry has grown as a result. 

Hmm? how so, exactly?

The 3DS sounds like a very conventionallly positioned handheld. It has a nifty display tech and had very good press exactly because of it and of a very solid, but again very conventional, lineup. It impressed the specialized press and made a lot of old Nintendo fans happy with some fanservice, but which big untapped market is it going to rely on? It's aiming fair and square for the present market of DS and PSP, as far as I can tell.

3D without glasses is Blue Ocean.  The untapped market is people who REFUSE to do 3D with glasses on.  Count me as one of these.  By clustering things as they are, they end up capturing a market no one else is in.  The key to Blue Ocean is to have no competition when you go into it, and get established.  It isn't that, after you have the entry, you go "Wow, I would of NEVER imagined that was possible, and people are there".  What Nintendo is looking to do is bring 3D movies to handhelds with the 3DS also.  Again, it is a marketspace currently being untapped and looks to be untapped for a few years.  Nintendo is likely able to do this also, because did ANYONE think Nintendo would go into this area?  They failed with Virtual Boy, so I am sure people thought Nintendo would not do 3D again.  I am likely seeing Sony wasn't even prepared for that.  When you think 3D normally, do you think need for glasses?  Well, I do.

You are so wrong. People don't care about glasses what is important is bringing 3D experience for 250 euro instead of 1000 euro price range.

Also no glasses is simply only possible way to have 3d handheld - as there's huge diffrence beetween playing at home and on the way in this regard.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
richardhutnik said:
WereKitten said:
richardhutnik said:

Nintendo is doing this.  Did you forget the 3DS?  That is a Blue Ocean move.  Did you even think that Nintendo would do a 3DS before it was announced?  By the time others move into there, they will be into another market.  Nintendo HAS already moved on and the videogame industry has grown as a result. 

Hmm? how so, exactly?

The 3DS sounds like a very conventionallly positioned handheld. It has a nifty display tech and had very good press exactly because of it and of a very solid, but again very conventional, lineup. It impressed the specialized press and made a lot of old Nintendo fans happy with some fanservice, but which big untapped market is it going to rely on? It's aiming fair and square for the present market of DS and PSP, as far as I can tell.

3D without glasses is Blue Ocean.  The untapped market is people who REFUSE to do 3D with glasses on.  Count me as one of these.  By clustering things as they are, they end up capturing a market no one else is in.  The key to Blue Ocean is to have no competition when you go into it, and get established.  It isn't that, after you have the entry, you go "Wow, I would of NEVER imagined that was possible, and people are there".  What Nintendo is looking to do is bring 3D movies to handhelds with the 3DS also.  Again, it is a marketspace currently being untapped and looks to be untapped for a few years.  Nintendo is likely able to do this also, because did ANYONE think Nintendo would go into this area?  They failed with Virtual Boy, so I am sure people thought Nintendo would not do 3D again.  I am likely seeing Sony wasn't even prepared for that.  When you think 3D normally, do you think need for glasses?  Well, I do.

You are so wrong. People don't care about glasses what is important is bringing 3D experience for 250 euro instead of 1000 euro price range.

Also no glasses is simply only possible way to have 3d handheld - as there's huge diffrence beetween playing at home and on the way in this regard.

Everytime I see a 3d movie we all complain about glasses. People don't want them on their face. Price is a factor too, but I do not see 3d hitting mainstream with glasses, it will happen when glassless 3d is avaible.  You do know they are coming out with glassless 3d tvs already right? They are working on bringing the price down and getting more sweet spots. I think they are up to 3 now could be long haven't looked into it in awhile.

I agree. Nintendo needs another great idea or all the casuals will see no reason to upgrade to the next Wii.

Its the hardcore PS3/360 guys who will buy a new console even if its just a minor upgrade.

Chairman-Mao said:

I agree. Nintendo needs another great idea or all the casuals will see no reason to upgrade to the next Wii.

Its the hardcore PS3/360 guys who will buy a new console even if its just a minor upgrade.

I don't see any reason to believe that (so-called) casual gamers would be any less willing to upgrade their hardware than a (so-called) hardcore console gamer ...

First off, the gamers who are most likely to upgrade their hardware without question are PC gamers; and I see little reason to assume that any console gamer is more likely than any other to upgrade. Ask yourself why the "Frat-Boy" gamer who owns a handful of games for their XBox 360 and rarely plays it is more likely to upgrade their system than a woman who buys a new game for their Wii every month and plays their Wii regularly.

Beyond that, with how many non-geeks buy new iPods and iPhones without any consideration of meaningful enhancements what makes you think that these people really care whether something is a major improvement when it is a cool product to own?

The argument is making a lot of assumptions that we know are going to be false. Who says Nintendo is going to have no western support next generation, no focus on online gaming, and will bring nothing new to the table? Who says that Sony and Microsoft have the right idea of what is going to sell next generation and Nintendo doesn't?

As far as name brands go, Microsoft and Sony have declined since 2006, Nintendo is now King.

Until the 3DS was known of, who would have ever thought that Nintendo was going to release a handheld that can be very easily seen as potentially more successful than the original DS. When Nintendo unveils the next console, it is going to do everything that the consoles today do, but it will have some unique features that the others won't. Nintendo is in a position where they do not have to worry about releasing a filler console like the Gamecube; and they are going into the next generation with a namebrand FAR larger than the namebrand they had going into the original DS.

I can't see PS4, PSP2, or Xbox 720 doing as well as they did this generation; they certainly will not be starting the next generation with the same level of developer commitment that they had this generation; Nintendo grabbed a lot of that; and now they're moving to Nintendo, starting with 3DS.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.