By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - what will be the highest selling game of 2008?

It could be GTA IV just on 360, but definitely GTA IV if we include both SKUs.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

ssbb....wii fit. The wii is out of control

1. GTA4 or SSBB
2. SSBB or GTA4
3. Guitar Hero 4
4. Mario Kart Wii
5. Some sort of FPS and deffinately not GT5

If it weren't for Japan, I'd say GTA4 without a doubt. But considering SSBB will be huge in Japan (2M at least), unlike SMG, it is hard to point who'll sell more of those two.

RPGJock said:
If we are talking about this year alone, WW sells, consoles only....

GTA4 (combined two platforms)
Mario Kart
WiiFit
Next Guitar Hero or Rock Band game

Couple of caveats. SSBB, I honestly believe is going to be another Metroid Prime, where only the core will care about the game and will never get past 2 mil. Same goes for MGS4. GTA4 is released on two platforms and will end up selling over 5 million WW. WiiFit will be supply constraint just like the Wii. Mario Kart will sell cause its a Mario brand game and a family friendly game that will appeal to Alpha moms better than the wild out of control action SSBB. Rhythm games has the hot hand for the last year and half, and a lot companies will try to capitalize on that. If sells pick up for Rock Band when the sold alone peripherals come out , GH will answer back this year with something big.... Most of the shooters will cancel each other out, not know which will be the big one this year. Don't forget about the X factor Spore that is coming out. If it picks up like the Sims, then it may shatter them all.

Oh I have to SERIOUSLY correct myself.  I have to admit that when doing research on the SSBB, I went back to look at Melee.  The number I got when I click on WW sales for 1.7 mil.  I figured that was for a 4 year old game, not bad.  For some reason, this site was missing data for US sales for the WW totals.  I didn't know that NA sold 4 million copies for a game that had a user base of 12 mil.  Without a doubt, that game had to be a system seller.  Defiantely I have change my prediction

GTA4

Mario Kart

Super Smash Bros Brawl

WiiFit

Guitar Hero or Rock Band or Wii Music

MGS4 

I'm just saying...

Around the Network
daactualfact said:
@rpg

what planet are you from? are you seriously high!!!!! the anticipation for brawl has been as high as gta and people are putting an overwhelming amount of updates on different gamesites! (and by overwhelming, i mean OVERWHELMING!!!!!!!!!!!! This may be one of the best selling games of this gen!!!!! Also, wiifit may be a Nintendogs if Nintendo advertises this correctly.)

You are right, I admit I complete miss the boat on the data.  Again I was looking at WW weekly charts that doesn't have US data in it for some reason.  I have to give Super Smash its props without a doubt.  I still feel that Mario Kart still has the rub because of the name and the casual appeal over Super Smash but it defiantely would be a tight race, that is for sure.  I had the first SS of the N64, didn't really think much of it, but I am an old schooler who like the 2D fighters than the other variations.

I'm just saying...

woah, this thread got big. last time i saw it, there was only like 40 replies :)

If nintendo would be able to manufacture enough balance boards to grant a release and steady supply for all 3 regions in the first half of the year, i would say Wii fit would be my best bet. But that's highly unlikely, seeing that they cannot even supply the japanese market. One of the biggest advantages of this game is that it cannot be warezed, or more correctly said, it's pointless warezing the game without the balance board.

Saying that, i think GTA IV will take the crown, followed by SSBB and Wii fit

shams said:
Someone should qualify whether "sales" include sales of a franchise across ALL platforms added.

If so, Madden, Burnout, CoD, GH4 (etc), Fifa, PES will certainly top.

I'm specifically talking about sales of a game on ONE platform only.

Yea I agree with Shams, we need to clarify the rules for this because the numbers will be all over the place with games launching late, games that launched last year like Wii Fit in Japan, multiplatform games,  pack in games that shouldn't really count.  

I'm just saying...

^you can count the combined sales of games on multiplatforms

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"