By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 - Success of Failure? A list of pros/cons

Pros:

Dynamic Weather System

GT Life Mode -  This new option replaces the standard Gran Turismo Mode, and here, you will forge your career either as a driver in A-Spec or a driving director in B-Spec.

Track and Course Editor

Kart Racing

20 Locatios, Over 70 Variations: Beatiful Tracks recreated in True to Life Detail

Day and Night Cycle

Machine Damage is introduced for the first time in the series.

Photo Mode: In Photo Travel, you can visit beautiful locations from around the world, to take photographs of your favourite car. This is equivalent to the previous Photo Mode, and the user interface and the locations (stages) have been completely renewed. And with the addition of the Walk Mode where you can stroll about freely within the scene, you are given much more freedom and allowed much more expression in taking that perfect shot.

PS EYe Head Tracking and Immersive 3D Scope

Around the Network

I have no doubt now that Halo Reach released, that GT5 will surpass its LTD sales.

gekkokamen said:

I have no doubt now that Halo Reach released, that GT5 will surpass its LTD sales.

What does LTD mean?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Cross-X said:

Pros:

Dynamic Weather System

GT Life Mode -  This new option replaces the standard Gran Turismo Mode, and here, you will forge your career either as a driver in A-Spec or a driving director in B-Spec.

Track and Course Editor

Kart Racing

20 Locatios, Over 70 Variations: Beatiful Tracks recreated in True to Life Detail

Day and Night Cycle

Machine Damage is introduced for the first time in the series.

Photo Mode: In Photo Travel, you can visit beautiful locations from around the world, to take photographs of your favourite car. This is equivalent to the previous Photo Mode, and the user interface and the locations (stages) have been completely renewed. And with the addition of the Walk Mode where you can stroll about freely within the scene, you are given much more freedom and allowed much more expression in taking that perfect shot.

PS EYe Head Tracking and Immersive 3D Scope

I bunched up a lot of these points under "Improvements to gameplay."

However I have a question of the 70 tracks. Do you know how many tracks were present in past GT games? Gran-Turismo.com says GT4 has "Up to 100 international courses", GT2 "20 detailed tracks with over 40 track combinations", and GT1 "11 stunning environments."

I can't find the number of tracks in GT3, but GT4 seems to have more tracks, is that true?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
gekkokamen said:

What does LTD mean?

LTD=Lifetime to date

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network

--Cons

Some cars will be very expensive to get...and having them all could be close to impossible

Michael-5 said:

Cons

-Long 5 year wait, fans may have moved onto other franchises, on different consoles or may have just lost interest alltogether (BengaBenga, Michael-5)

A wothless point people bring up when they have nothign else, have you seen GT5P sales ? its preety clear people have not moved on.  Franchise is as strong as its ever been.  Might want to look at Gtpanet to see if people LOL moved on.

-No set release date, it may release "all of a sudden" for the more casual audience

How do you come up with these jokes ?

-The gaming industry has changed in the past 5 years.  A lot of people have changed their gaming habbits and shifted towards FPS or third person shooters, as shown by the amount and popularity of FPS games. (damndl0ser)

Well great then that GT appeals to car nuts more then it does hardcore gamers.  

How the hell does GT5P selling 5 million show the industry has changed for the worse, as far as Gt is concerned ?????

-No Porsche (Porsche model vehicles will be sold under the name of a tuning company, and limited in number)

NO exotics at all in GT3 yet it sold 14.7 million in case you dont know.   Your realllllly coming of desperate now. 

-Game Design Flaws: Only cosmetic damage to most cars (paint scratch, penalties for large collisions), structural deformation limited to a small fraction of playable vehicles.

-Only 70 track variations, GT4 and Forza Motorsport 3 have more.

Your interpretation of its design is kinda pointless, fact is its a huge inprovement on the previous GT. 

If wiki is right, GT5 has more tracks then any other GT (GT4 51 GT5 70)

Not one legit intelligent con.

Hus said:
Michael-5 said:

Cons

-Long 5 year wait, fans may have moved onto other franchises, on different consoles or may have just lost interest alltogether (BengaBenga, Michael-5)

A wothless point people bring up when they have nothign else, have you seen GT5P sales ? its preety clear people have not moved on.  Franchise is as strong as its ever been.  Might want to look at Gtpanet to see if people LOL moved on.

-No set release date, it may release "all of a sudden" for the more casual audience

How do you come up with these jokes ?

-The gaming industry has changed in the past 5 years.  A lot of people have changed their gaming habbits and shifted towards FPS or third person shooters, as shown by the amount and popularity of FPS games. (damndl0ser)

Well great then that GT appeals to car nuts more then it does hardcore gamers.  

How the hell does GT5P selling 5 million show the industry has changed for the worse, as far as Gt is concerned ?????

-No Porsche (Porsche model vehicles will be sold under the name of a tuning company, and limited in number)

NO exotics at all in GT3 yet it sold 14.7 million in case you dont know.   Your realllllly coming of desperate now. 

-Game Design Flaws: Only cosmetic damage to most cars (paint scratch, penalties for large collisions), structural deformation limited to a small fraction of playable vehicles.

-Only 70 track variations, GT4 and Forza Motorsport 3 have more.

Your interpretation of its design is kinda pointless, fact is its a huge inprovement on the previous GT. 

If wiki is right, GT5 has more tracks then any other GT (GT4 51 GT5 70)

Not one legit intelligent con.

GT5P sales in Japan are lower then GT4P sales despite having 2 years to sell instead of 1. Good point you raised, I'll add it.

GT3 was the best selling GT game, but it also only had 150 cars or so, so I guess 1,000 cars isn't a pro then either? I mean you so easily bash the no Porsche con, and say nothing about the first time Lambo/Bughatti pro, what does that say about you?

LOL at wikipedia, I checked Gran-Turismo.com for the figure of GT4 having up to 100 tracks.

This is not a debate, or a thread open to trash talking other peoples opinions. Just a compilation of reasons why GT5 will sell better or worse then other GT games. I made this so people can see the reason behind the hype and concerns about the game.

This way you can look at all the cons and laugh at them in the privacy of your own home. If you think GT5 will do better, please just voice the pros, don't tash on peoples cons.

Michael-5 said:

Okay well It's probably a really bad idea posting a thread like this because all it's going to do is cause a flame war, and ultimatly get locked up, but I want to give it a try.

What I want to do is make a list of pros/cons as to why the game will sell better or worse then other GT games have in the past. As people put in their opinions I will add their logic to the pros or cons side. Please no estimates on sales, and respect your fellow forum members, people will have very different opinions, and a lot of people will follow theirs very strongly.

Also please no insulting other members. If you raise a valid point, but do so with added insults to another member, I will just ignore your post until you or someone else says it without talking down to someone with a different opion. No one here is an analyst, so this list is completly subjective. Many of the points listed in the Pros/Cons sections will likely have little to no effect, so don't be offended because they are listed.

DAMMIT!!! There is a typo in the thread topic, and I can't fix it. It's suppose to say Success or Failure.....

Pros

-Improvement in Game Design: The game has been rebuilt from the ground up, with improved graphics, physics, incorporation of a dynamic weather system, day and night cycle, redesigned career mode (GT Life), Improved Photo Mode, PS Eye head tracking, and machine damage, which was only present in GT2 before. (Cross-X, Michael-5)

-1,000 Plus Cars, more then any other racing game

-20 Track Locations, with over 70 track variations, more then any GT game except GT4 (Cross-X)

-New features such as NASCAR, and Kart-Racing (Cross-X, Michael-5)

-Lack of compedetive racing games on the PS3. NFS, and Midnight Club have lost popularity, and the only other new compeditors are Codemaster's games, and Motorstorm (oniyide)

-Delays may have built hype(ethomaz)

-First occurance of Lamborghini and Bughatti in a console GT game (In older GT games, Lamborghinis was modeled, but sold unter another name)

- 16 car on race

- spliscreen offline =/= need for speed

Cons

-Long 5 year wait, fans may have moved onto other franchises, on different consoles or may have just lost interest alltogether (BengaBenga, Michael-5) u dont interest in a game you are waiting for

-No set release date, it may release "all of a sudden" for the more casual audience casual do not preorder, all will be fine for them

-The gaming industry has changed in the past 5 years.  A lot of people have changed their gaming habbits and shifted towards FPS or third person shooters, as shown by the amount and popularity of FPS games. (damndl0ser) GOOD POINT

-No Porsche (Porsche model vehicles will be sold under the name of a tuning company, and limited in number) TRUE but non event

-Game Design Flaws: Only cosmetic damage to most cars (paint scratch, penalties for large collisions), structural deformation limited to a small fraction of playable vehicles. Also some cars will be very expensive to get, collecting them may be close to impossible (opposite of Forza)(Cthulhu, Michael-5)

-Only 70 track variations, GT4 and Forza Motorsport 3 have more. 70 is largely enought ...

-GT4 Prologue, (an essentially Japanese exclusive Prologue), sold 38.6% more units then GT5P in Japan in about 1/3rd the time (12 months vs 33 months). The hype for this game may be a lot weaker in Japan. Note: The game was released in europe a mere month before the release of GT4, so ignore GT4P sales in EMEAA. You are comparing 2 console in 2 generation with BIG userbase discrepancy

Unit shipped to France ALONE : 550k

/thread

BRAND IS EVERYTHING

edited

Time to Work !

Your cons list will vanish with paid DLC that will pop out every 4 months maybe.

They will milk GT5 like.no.other