By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why the hell do first party nintendo games stay expensive for so long?

its not all 1st party titles that dont drop in price. Sin n Punishment 2 is 20 bucks brand new on Amazon. that game is not even a year old. THe ones that are still full price is for the suckers who would pay that much (im joking) ironically its the price of those games that have kept me from buying 1st party games for Wii. thats just me

Around the Network

Nintendo is just cold hearted and greedy

they try to take us gamers for every cent we have because they know we will buy it anyways!!

Squilliam said:

Because if they make a habit of cutting the price people will expect it and therefore wait for the price cut.

that, I buy my HD games under 15£ now (i was 20 then 17 but they kept falling, so now i'm even considering going to 12.95£....)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Because Nintendo games rock!!!! Nintendo's games are the only games I ever buy new, Xbox360 and PS3 I wait till i can buy them Pre-owned.

Games4Fun said:

How many times have you seen people post "i am interested in this game I will pick it up when its 20-30 bucks though? Thats one of the reasons. I have to admit a lot of the third party games I have I just waited a couple months and saved the cash because I knew it would happen and honestly very few of the games not made by Nintendo on the Wii are worth the $50. On the other hand I have bought most my Nintendo games day one because they are worth more than $50 to me.

For a lot of people Nintendo has a great reputation for good quality games. They know this and if the game is selling millions why bother cutting the price? It be stupid too from a buisness perspective.

I just saw yesterday that they did cut the price of Metroid Other M.  But that was never a quality title to begin with...

Around the Network

This may have already been posted--don't have time to read the thread but--Go to your nearest Gamestop.  Look at the PS3/360 used games section.  Chances are pretty good that there are tons of copies of Halo Reach, Call of Duty Black Ops, God of War 3, or whatever big game you want to buy sitting on the shelf--used copies.  Now, go to the Wii section.  There's gonna be tons of used games there, too.....but not many (if any) copies of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, Smash Bros. Brawl, or Mario Kart.

It's because people buy some games to play.  People buy Nintendo games to keep!! As long as that's happening, the price is justified.

Hi guys,

its my first post here but prepare for a legen... wait for it.... DARY 1st post:

Why do dogs lick their balls?

Because they can.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

d21lewis said:

This may have already been posted--don't have time to read the thread but--Go to your nearest Gamestop.  Look at the PS3/360 used games section.  Chances are pretty good that there are tons of copies of Halo Reach, Call of Duty Black Ops, God of War 3, or whatever big game you want to buy sitting on the shelf--used copies.  Now, go to the Wii section.  There's gonna be tons of used games there, too.....but not many (if any) copies of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, Smash Bros. Brawl, or Mario Kart.

It's because people buy some games to play.  People buy Nintendo games to keep!! As long as that's happening, the price is justified.

It's also probably why Nintendo hasn't been throwing hissy fits like some publishers about used games

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Couple points:

1)Nintendo market is more casual, don't buy games up front, so they sell longer than the extremely frontloaded HD titles.

2)Nintendo strives for 'evergreen' titles that never lose their appeal.

3)Nintendo does not release yearly updates and rarely makes a sequel.   Everyone else, when they get a hit, produces Hitmaker 2,3,4,4a,5,5a,5b,5c,6... which drops the value of every previous version.    Instead Nintendo makes a game once a generation and that more than any other reason keeps popular games retaining a high value.    Why other publishers don't do this, especially on Wii where sequels not only seem to fail but often kill off the original games sales too, is beyond me.  They'd be better off following Nintendo's example by making an excellent game once, instead of making it good, then a little better, then a litter better still...

This also prevents people waiting for the game to drop in price.   For example, I'm waiting to get NBA Jam, NHL Slapshot, Epic Mickey and others cheap but I buy Nintendo games right away, not because I'm so desperate to play them but because there's little point in waiting 6 months as they'll be at the same price  (except for something like Sin & Punishment)

First-party Nintendo games stay at launch price because they hold onto their value. As evidence for this, I point out that these games are still being bought in significant numbers weeks, months, sometimes even years after launch. If they were truly losing value, this wouldn't happen; either sales would dry up or the price would drop. That's what value is.

Perhaps we should instead turn the question around. Should it really be a question of why Nintendo games hold onto their value for so long, or should it instead be a question of why only Nintendo's games ever manage this feat?

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.