By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why the hell do first party nintendo games stay expensive for so long?

Smidlee said:

I agree MK wii wasn't bad but it felt more of the same. Modnation Racers at least add a few more features as a MK clone.
Knowing MK was going to sell like hot cakes they could have created a serious track editor , one that would blow MNR alway.

Yea, a track editor would have been very nice.  Perhaps they will adopt it for the next home console system.  With all those millions sold, I am sure there would be a ton of bad ass user made tracks.  I can't think of too many Nintendo racer games that have track editors except Excitebike titles.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Smidlee said:
Mummelmann said:

Nintendo games are expensive and always have been. Deal with it.

That's true. Nintendo always tries to keep their prices for games as high as possible which helps made Ps1 to succeed.

Least I don't have to throw down an extra 10 dollars per game this generation compared to 360/PS3.  PS1 was successful for a few other reason besides price (However, price definitely did help, aka PS3 not dominating because of high initial price).

Actually, here in Norway, Wii games cost more than PS360 games and DS games cost more than PSP games. Some games cost the same at launch (like Black Ops on all platforms) but the PS360 ones are marked down after a while and the Nintendo counterpart remains priced highly. I also remember the N64/Playstation era when a PS game cost around 500NOK and a Nintendo game cost around 800-850 NOK (No, I'm not kidding). In the end, this could possibly hurt revenue imo, its better to sell two copies with a ten dollar profit than one copy with fifteen (or zero copies). This is simple business; lower price equals higher demand, higher demand equals higher product volume and sales and thus higher profits even with a price slightly marked down.

In the end though, I don't really care since I have yet to purchase a single Nintendo game this generation. And, besides, I pay the least for any game at any rate since I play on my PC.

GC Mario Kart dropped in price when the Wii launched...

Resident_Hazard said:

Frankly, I'm more puzzled on why there are no "Greatest Hits" lines for the Wii or DS.  That just seems stupid.  It's a great way to reintroduce highly rated and  best-selling titles to customers with fresh fanfare, and at friendly prices. 

Greatest hits lines have been a part of gaming since, hell, the NES days.  Nintendo must have some ego to think they don't need such a thing for the Wii or DS.  Plus, it would be nice to see Nintendo doing this to help support 3rd party titles that everyone ignored the first time they were released.

They did it for Wii 3rd party games in Japan, and even smarter they tied game selection to user reviews, ensuring high quality and still allowing low selling titles to still make the cut.  It's called the Minna no Susume Selection (or "Everyone's Recommendation Selection"), and I think it'd be a good idea for Nintendo to do it overseas too.

List of games so far included...

• 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Sega / Chunsoft)
  • Arc Rise Fantasia (Marvelous / imageepoch)
  • Dragon Ball Z: Bodokai Tenkaichi 3 (Bandai)
  • Momotarou Dentetsu 16 (Hudson)
  • Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson)
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Marvelous / Vanillaware)
  • One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 1: The Treasure Beneath the Waves (Bandai / Ganbarion)
  • One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 2: Awakening of the Hero (Bandai / Gambarion)
  • Samurai Warriors 3 (Tecmo Koei / Omega Force)
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Namco / Namco Tales Studio)
  • We Ski & Snowboard (Namco)

sethnintendo said:

I can't think of too many Nintendo racer games that have track editors except Excitebike titles.

F-Zero too.  F-Zero X had the infamous 64DD expansion in Japan, and the Japan only F-Zero Climax on GBA also had a full track editor.

Level/track editors are something I really hope to see in next gen installments of games like Mario Kart, NSMB, etc.  Especially on 3DS, it'd make so much sense with the system wide tag mode.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
sethnintendo said:
Smidlee said:
Mummelmann said:

Nintendo games are expensive and always have been. Deal with it.

That's true. Nintendo always tries to keep their prices for games as high as possible which helps made Ps1 to succeed.

Least I don't have to throw down an extra 10 dollars per game this generation compared to 360/PS3.  PS1 was successful for a few other reason besides price (However, price definitely did help, aka PS3 not dominating because of high initial price).

Actually, here in Norway, Wii games cost more than PS360 games and DS games cost more than PSP games. Some games cost the same at launch (like Black Ops on all platforms) but the PS360 ones are marked down after a while and the Nintendo counterpart remains priced highly. I also remember the N64/Playstation era when a PS game cost around 500NOK and a Nintendo game cost around 800-850 NOK (No, I'm not kidding). In the end, this could possibly hurt revenue imo, its better to sell two copies with a ten dollar profit than one copy with fifteen (or zero copies). This is simple business; lower price equals higher demand, higher demand equals higher product volume and sales and thus higher profits even with a price slightly marked down.

In the end though, I don't really care since I have yet to purchase a single Nintendo game this generation. And, besides, I pay the least for any game at any rate since I play on my PC.

That is interesting.  I sometimes fall into the secluded mind thinking everything is same worldwide yet it is always different.  Funny how WIi games are always $50 USA and 360/PS3 are $60 yet elsewhere worldwide prices are different.  Price standards can't be established worldwide even with currency differences.  I remember people from South America / Eastern Europe naming outrageous prices for games for current and previous generations.  No wonder piracy is so high if it cost an arm and leg to buy a game in some markets.

Nintendo is gathering the biggest war-chest in history to spend on... I don't know what xD But they definitely have a lot of money that they can spend on R&D etc. because of their refusal to cut prices. It's a good thing :D

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

They should introduce a Player's Choice line for Nintendo games that have dried up in demand. Zelda Twilight Princess doesn't chart anymore like say NSMB (DS and Wii) and Mario (DS and Wii) do. But yet it's selling for $60 brand new here in Canada (I just checked Gamestop.ca, Amazon.ca, Best Buy.ca, Futureshop.ca. The new copies are all $60. The used ones range from $37-45) Given the rules of capitalism, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

loves2splooge said:

They should introduce a Player's Choice line for Nintendo games that have dried up in demand. Zelda Twilight Princess doesn't chart anymore like say NSMB (DS and Wii) and Mario (DS and Wii) do. But yet it's selling for $60 brand new here in Canada (I just checked Gamestop.ca, Amazon.ca, Best Buy.ca, Futureshop.ca. The new copies are all $60. The used ones range from $37-45) Given the rules of capitalism, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

Agreed.  And it's even worse for titles that go out of print... try finding a new copy of Fire Emblem Wii for under $50 these days.

I think a lot of older Wii and DS games could dramatically increase lifetime sales with a budget line, and I think it'd also mostly increase overall software sales too.  New games like Mario Sports or Zelda SS are going to sell the same regardless, and full price evergreens like Mario Kart or NSMB won't get cannibalized either, and Player's Choice line really wouldn't hurt anything on the horizon.

I looked at the completed listings on ebay.ca and a brand new sealed copy of Twilight Princess sold for $23.49 Canadian $6.13 shipping a week ago (and the seller had a 100% feedback rating and has the power seller badge).

If you need anymore indication that Nintendo's non-evergreen games are overpriced at retail, look no further than that. There is no reason to buy that game for $50/$60 in retail right now when you can find it for a lot less on eBay (this is why I love eBay. eBay acts like a market correction. I bought several brand new sealed copies of games from eBay and Amazon Marketplace for lower than retail rates. Though the Black Friday and Boxing Day sales at retail are very solid at times and better than what you can get on eBay). Zelda has the critical reception and respect. But it is not evergreen like a Mario Kart, NSMB, Wii Fit, etc.

And yeah the Fire Emblem situation is unfortunate. Nintendo isn't making any money off it anymore since it's out of print. But if they re-released it for $30 at retail as part of Players Choice, the game would get a good boost.