By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why the hell do first party nintendo games stay expensive for so long?

Well I don't have a Wii but the trend has always been like that (here in Canada anyway) I still can't pick up SM64 DS at a price cheaper than it's original price (except on holiday specials and what not).

The logic behind it imo is as other ppl said. Nintendo consoles are bought for nintendo franchises. As a PS3 gamer, (and always busy with school) I rarely buy games when they first release anymore. I pick up my games at 20-30$ later on. As a gamecube owner, I just used to buy all my games as soon as they released since I knew I'd never get a discounted price.

Heck, I just bought pikmin (used) when I was down in the states for 10$. My intention was to get pikmin 2, and boy was i flabergasted to find out it was 40$. WTF?!?!

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
Lastgengamer said:

It's simply because in general, Nintendo's games are well known for being of the highest quality available. That's the primary reason for why their games retain their value so well.   

Edit: This article from nintendoworldreport also answers some questios as well. One reason being that a lot of Nintendo's games have a huge amount of replayability.   

Uncharted 2 is well known highest quality too. That doesn't stop Sony from selling it at 15 pounds price one year after release bringing great value for gamers.

The only reason why Nintendo games are still so expensive is Nintendo greed.

Well there will be some exceptions of course, but I really think it's about perceived value and many of Nintendo's games have it.   

Because if they make a habit of cutting the price people will expect it and therefore wait for the price cut.

Tease.

I went into my local EB Games store here in AUS and they made a special section for the 25th Anniversary for Mario and basically put all the Wii Mario Games in that section and my god SSBB. SMG 1 and 2 were all $100 AU. SMG2 I can understand but hell SSBB and SMG 1 are 2 years old now and they're still $100 now. When certain retailers release new sales, SSBB only got a $10 cut.

Same thing goes for Pokemon Heart Gold Soul Silver. I've waiting for a price cut on them or some retailer to cut the price on them but nope, they've been $60 AU since release and that's why I haven't played them yet.

But hey from Nintendo's perspective, look at the sales of the games I mentioned. They're multi million selling games at the full price and they're just raking in more money so if they can sell at that price point for so long, why make a price drop?

Resident_Hazard said:

Frankly, I'm more puzzled on why there are no "Greatest Hits" lines for the Wii or DS.  That just seems stupid.  It's a great way to reintroduce highly rated and  best-selling titles to customers with fresh fanfare, and at friendly prices. 

Greatest hits lines have been a part of gaming since, hell, the NES days.  Nintendo must have some ego to think they don't need such a thing for the Wii or DS.  Plus, it would be nice to see Nintendo doing this to help support 3rd party titles that everyone ignored the first time they were released.

Have you forgotten about 'Everybody's Selection'?

If you don't know, 'Everybody's Selection' was a budget range of 3rd party games that had received critical praise on the Nintendo channel.  If I remember in Japan the line up includes Deca Sports, Muramasa, one of the DBZ games and some others.

Maybe Nintendo did the 'Everybody's Selection' instead of 'Player's Choice', due to the success of Nintendo 1st party games this gen and how 3rd parties keep on whining about the Wii.

Maybe for the European range they could have the likes of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Zack & Wiki, Little King's Story and RE4 Wii Edition.

Around the Network

You pay for what you get

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

MrT-Tar said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Frankly, I'm more puzzled on why there are no "Greatest Hits" lines for the Wii or DS.  That just seems stupid.  It's a great way to reintroduce highly rated and  best-selling titles to customers with fresh fanfare, and at friendly prices. 

Greatest hits lines have been a part of gaming since, hell, the NES days.  Nintendo must have some ego to think they don't need such a thing for the Wii or DS.  Plus, it would be nice to see Nintendo doing this to help support 3rd party titles that everyone ignored the first time they were released.

Have you forgotten about 'Everybody's Selection'?

If you don't know, 'Everybody's Selection' was a budget range of 3rd party games that had received critical praise on the Nintendo channel.  If I remember in Japan the line up includes Deca Sports, Muramasa, one of the DBZ games and some others.

Maybe Nintendo did the 'Everybody's Selection' instead of 'Player's Choice', due to the success of Nintendo 1st party games this gen and how 3rd parties keep on whining about the Wii.

Maybe for the European range they could have the likes of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Zack & Wiki, Little King's Story and RE4 Wii Edition.

I have seen no such line here in the States.  Sounds like it went a little underused.  We have nothing here but constantly high-priced Nintendo fare on the Wii and DS.  In fact, the only reason I bought Punch-Out was because it was a store discount at Target.  They dropped the price of Punch-Out with the nunchuck to something like $30 just to get rid of 'em.  Got the game and a nunchuck for $20 less than the game by itself.

Sony and Microsoft have tons of games that are greatest or Platinum hits.  Many Platinum hits even have bonus stuff in them--like in the Platinum Hits version of Fable II.  Came with Knothole Island. 

Maybe Nintendo just thinks that much more lowly of their consumers.  That they should always pay premium prices for software, regardless of age or sales.  Probably why even the oldest games on the Virtual Console and Wii Ware still cost a pretty penny. 

Twilight Princess still costs $50, meanwhile Mass Effect 2 can be picked up new for $20.  The way bigger RPG for half the price looks like a much better deal at this point.

And with Microsoft and Sony (so far) successfully entering the motion-control foray, it would be smart for Nintendo to step up their game and compete in the financials.  The Wii's lead is going to continue to drop.

My guess is well because they sell for long periods of time.

These 1st Party games sold like crack and still sell decently

Super Smash Bros Brawl

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/6962/super-smash-bros-brawl/

Super Mario Galaxy

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/6963/super-mario-galaxy/

Mario Kart Wii

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/6968/mario-kart-wii/

And these 1st party games tapered off. By now they are discontinued

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/2906/big-brain-academy-wii-degree/

Metroid Prime 3

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/6969/metroid-prime-3-corruption/

Wii Music

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/6969/metroid-prime-3-corruption/

The bottom line is, Wii games still sell and profit for Nintendo. Wii games sell longer and have longer legs than PS3 and 360 games, but there are notable exceptions (se LittleBigPlanet).

SOCOM; Confrontation

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/26690/socom-us-navy-seals-confrontation/e

As you can see, the sales have fallen off, after a short time.

You do have a point though they need to slash prices or bring out player's choice. (SMG and SMG2 were both 40$ at my Wal-Mart)

Squilliam said:

Because if they make a habit of cutting the price people will expect it and therefore wait for the price cut.

This

Nintendo games are expensive and always have been. Deal with it.