By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why the hell do first party nintendo games stay expensive for so long?

It's good strategy.

Avoids the usual: Hey, I'm really interested in that game. I'll wait when it hits the bargain bin.
Particularly Wii games. -_-

Around the Network

money

Player's Choice was just an elegant way to say "I'm cutting the prices cause my games are not selling anymore!"

The same is not happening with some Wii games, particularly first party, but not all of them.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

I dunno, but it sucks.  I held off on buying Yoshi's Island for a while in the hopes it'd get a price cut, since it was already so old when I got my DS.  Instead it was straight up discontinued, and the game has only gone UP in price since.

It's really disappointing.  See, I got both my PSP and DS late in their lifecycles.  I've managed to rack up a collection of over 10 PSP games just by finding old titles for cheap.  I found brand new copies of LocoRoco 1 & 2 with the original black labels at K-mart the other day for $9.99 each.  It was a steal. The same goes for most of the rest of my PSP collection.  If I could track down older titles like New Super Mario Bros. and Yoshi's Island for a similar price on DS, that collection would be much larger as well.

As it stands now, I just stick with Pokemon, Layton, and Zelda, as they are the only games worth the price, imo.

Edit:

And the idea that is justifiable because "Nintendo games never stop selling" is BS.  That doesn't apply to numerous smaller Nintendo titles, like Yoshi's Island DS or the Metroid Prime Trilogy.  Almost all Nintendo titles are straight up discontinued when sales begin to wain, instead of being rereleased at a lower pricepoint like games from most other publishers.

Frankly, I'm more puzzled on why there are no "Greatest Hits" lines for the Wii or DS.  That just seems stupid.  It's a great way to reintroduce highly rated and  best-selling titles to customers with fresh fanfare, and at friendly prices. 

Greatest hits lines have been a part of gaming since, hell, the NES days.  Nintendo must have some ego to think they don't need such a thing for the Wii or DS.  Plus, it would be nice to see Nintendo doing this to help support 3rd party titles that everyone ignored the first time they were released.

Around the Network

When I was at the game shop I saw Mario Kart DS for £25 and I was like O_o I bought it for that price 5 years ago.

Nintendo dosnt lower its game prices, they announced that in 2006

At least when I buy games early I know some poor sucker down the line is going have to pay the same price. >:]

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Its pretty understandable for them to keep full since they're are still selling decently. But the Players Choice Line should still be around if not for their games, but for some thrd parties to help with their sales.

You have to pay for the "Mario" name which is why they tries to put Mario in so many of their games. I think Modnation racers is  a little better than Mario Kart Wii yet it doesn't have Mario. This applies more than just video games but  almost all businesses.

Non-gaming parent recognize the name Mario and know it's  a child friendly game.