By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

outlawauron said:

Dang Carl. Suikoden III and Kessen 2 were both games that were right outside of my top 50. Love them dearly.

Spent so many hours on both of them. Suikoden is one of my favorite franchises... Ever!

And the original Kessen almost got into my list too

Around the Network

44. Half-Life 2 (PC)

Oh the memories. I remember getting this game in the orange box and thinking that this would be one of the good games to play after Portal and Team Fortress 2. Damn how I underestimated this game before I played it. Easily one of the best PC games and shooters ever made. This (and the orange box) is what made me and my cousin fall in love with Valve. The story is just phenominal, the action is packed, and the gravity gun is still one of gaming greastest weapons of all time. I still don't know why they haven't announced Half-Life 3 yet (I've given up on the episode 3 announcement) but I'm gonna get a new compy for Portal 2 so I hope they announce it soon after. :)

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

My #43: Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)

Not really much too say about it from my side...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

48.Phantasy Star(SMS)

Phantasy Star is pure awesomeness a Role Playing Game(RPG) from SEGA that is arguably the most advanced RPG of the 8bit Generation. I first played Phantasy Star  back when I was 5 years old back in 1988 it was my first  RPG I ever played and the Game that made me love RPGs. I did not complete it to some years later but I have now played it through many times everything about it was awesome the Anime cutscenes to the Music it was really ahead of its time. I have also played PSII, PHII and PSIV and some of the online ones.      

PHANTASY STAR INTRO FIRST DUNGEON

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Well, I see many  people here are sharing their new inclusions to their own personal rankings through this thread for some time now.
I haven't done it one single time so I though to include them all now that they are not so many, and update it everday, specially because I am under the impression that until this very moment I don't share a single game with anyone (of the ones which have been posted).

Here we go.

50#    Wii Sports

Who could ever say that behind such a simple concept could we find so much fun! It is one of the little games I could share with lots of relatives and friends who are not fond of vg and helped me explain why I love them so much.

49# The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)

This game proved to me that gaming could be all about laughing as Resident Evil proved to me that you could get legit scared out of a game. Hooray for the great times, Monkey Island!

#48 Sonic & Knuckles

My favourite Sonic platformer ever. It was an outstanding and frenetic game that forced me, a radical Nintendo  fanboy at the time, to recognize that Sonic could be damn sexy. Sorry Mario.

#47 Dig Dug

The game that got me into gaming. Wow, it was so addictive. I am not a retro gamer of sorts, I couldn't quite enjoy it today, but at that time it blew my mind away. Thanks Dig Dug!!

#46 Super Street Fighter

The first fighting game I relatively dominated. I was never really good at the genre but that didn't stop me at all from enjoying it. Super Street Fighter for the SNES kept me trying to improve so I could kick my friends asses!!

#45 Blast Corps

Out of the box thinking is something that you don't see every day. Non in games nor in any other form of entertainment. When it happens, I just value it because of the effort involved, because of the courage it takes, regardless if the product was good or not. But when it also delivers huge tons of fun, you can hardly ask for more. Blast Corps was a game that intriguided me before its release and that surprised me when I couldn't put it down. Awesome game!

#44 Contra

The first game I ever beated. Or at least that I was concious about it. I may have finished Super Mario Bros first.. Oh yeah, when you ended up that one you had to start all over again, which I never did. Any way, Contra... Multiplayer mayhem. Macho alien killing. Me and my brother. Good times.

Tah-tah-tah-tah! Die you bastard!

#43 Final Fantasy XIII

March 2010 - I hadn't played a regular Final Fantasy since IX. I had missed the whole PS2 generation and I didn't really regret eventhough Final Fantasy VII and VIII were two of my stronger gaming experiences. I read all the critics, the many harsh ones, the few enthusiastic ones. I knew about the missing towns, how repetitive and linear it was... "I better stick waiting for Tales of Graces and Xenoblade" I thought and bought GoW III.  Well, I don't intend to say I should have done the other way around, cause I eventually bought XIII and learnt that, regardless the reviews, regardless the polemic inclusions and exclusions, regardless of if it was too linear or not, regardless of it all, I had one of the best gaming experiences of the year with it. My expectations were low, really low. I didn't expect anything out of it. And that might have been what allowed me to be awed and entertained, what allowed me to have fun and to love those characters too: enjoying what you are being offered instead of spoiling it because you were too busy  bitching for not being given what you wanted to.

Around the Network

No. 43 is up!

Marvel vs. Capcom (Dreamcast)

I used to play this almost every night at a friend's house after we got off from work.  He would routinely whip my ass every time, but I just couldn't stay away from this great game.  From the moment the great player select theme was played, I was hooked.  I was a bigger Marvel fan than Capcom fan so I would mostly use their characters.  My favorties were Gambit and War Machine.  One of my all time favorite fighting games.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Tayne said:

No. 43 is up!

Marvel vs. Capcom (Dreamcast)

I used to play this almost every night at a friend's house after we got off from work.  He would routinely whip my ass every time, but I just couldn't stay away from this great game.  From the moment the great player select theme was played, I was hooked.  I was a bigger Marvel fan than Capcom fan so I would mostly use their characters.  My favorties were Gambit and War Machine.  One of my all time favorite fighting games.

Awesome choice! It'll be on my list too. I spend a whole summer holidays and lots of coins in that game, back in 1997 or 1998, I don't quite remember.

Where do you get your short sized pics from?

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

pariz said:

#45 Blast Corps

Blast Corps was a game that intriguided me before its release and that surprised me when I couldn't put it down. Awesome game!

#44 Contra

Multiplayer mayhem. Macho alien killing. Me and my brother. Good times.

#43 Final Fantasy XIII

My expectations were low, really low. I didn't expect anything out of it. And that might have been what allowed me to be awed and entertained, what allowed me to have fun and to love those characters too: enjoying what you are being offered instead of spoiling it because you were too busy  bitching for not being given what you wanted to.

I can't believe I've never played Blast Corps, it sounds like so much fun. I played one of the Contra sequels (but not the original) and can sort of see where the appeal lies, so I can definitely put those on my "Games that can change my mind list" that I'll put up after my No. 1, a list that Final Fantasy 13 will not make it onto. I don't see why people find the linearity to be a bigger problem than the abandonment of real depth for a battle system based almost entirely on timed button pressing. Isn't the point of turn-based combat that it's supposed to let you do more than just heavy-attack every enemy to death, and that you're actually supposed to devise more complex attack strategies yourself?

sirvice said:

Where do you get your short sized pics from?

http://images.google.com/

You select an image you like...

You copy its url...

When posting, you click on the Tree icon....

You paste the url...

You either manually change the dimensions (300 x 250 or whichever) or you post, then edit your post, do click on the image and after that resize manually.

CrankyStroming said:
pariz said:

I can't believe I've never played Blast Corps, it sounds like so much fun. I played one of the Contra sequels (but not the original) and can sort of see where the appeal lies, so I can definitely put those on my "Games that can change my mind list" that I'll put up after my No. 1, a list that Final Fantasy 13 will not make it onto. I don't see why people find the linearity to be a bigger problem than the abandonment of real depth for a battle system based almost entirely on timed button pressing. Isn't the point of turn-based combat that it's supposed to let you do more than just heavy-attack every enemy to death, and that you're actually supposed to devise more complex attack strategies yourself?

I don't know if Blast Corps has aged well or not, but I believe it was something fresh and fun as little games out there when it launched.

Regarding XIII, I think you are pointing out what could have been, or actually is,  the most important issue in a game such as it. The battle system was very polemic because the only possible strategy was to chose and change your party Pradigm wisely and effectively. I wouldn't go that far as to say that there was no strategy involved in the battles, because that's not true. I wouldn't say neither that it was the most complex and genious battle system out there, cause is not, not even in the series. But I had fun with it. And if I remember correctly, many reviewers (not all of them, but some of them did) pointed out that though not complex and shallower in apareance that it actually was, the battle system was really good. The fact that you had to press X all the time ( O in my japanese PS3) made it look worse than it actually was.

Personally, I liked the battle system. I wouldn't choose it over others, but I liked it and I appreciated that they are trying new ways instead of offering the same battle system over and over again. I knew everything I needed to know before playing it, and I already didn't like it that much. But then, when I actually started playing the game I realised I was having fun.