By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

hikaruchan said:
ishiki said:
Scoobes said:

No. 29: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

You'll all probably be suprised to hear this is the highest Zelda on my list. It's also the first Zelda game I ever played and quite simply, I played this solidly for months (at home, at school, on the way to school/home, before dinner, after dinner etc.). It was just so addicitive and really pushed my young imagination. I didn't care the graphics were 2D or that the graphics had no colour (prior to GB Colour), it was pure adventure gaming bliss. I completed it twice, and in my 2nd playthrough I didn't die once and pretty much did everything (including collecting the heart pieces). Love this game.

No. 28 Tomb Raider (PS & PC, also on Sega Saturn, remade as Tomb Raider Anniversary)

The game that lead to numerous sequels, sparked off the careers of a number of attractive models and spawned two films starring the gorgeous Angelina Jolie. During the PS1 era when 3D graphics were only just taking off, this game was revolutionary. Full 3D worlds to traverse, interesting puzzles and some stand out shock moments. It spawned many sequels and eventually needed a full re-envisioning in the following console gen, but the original in itself was a fantastic game

I think I agree with your choices more than anyone elses. XD Badgenome's close but I can't decide if the reason I agree is because his posts are funny. But :P I don' think anyone will agree with my top 10-15 haha

there is at least 2 games that I already agree with in your top 15.

And they're both the same series within a series right XD?

Around the Network

26. Red Dead Redemption - X360

Red Dead Redemption has all the good aspects of GTA IV, added with a setting, that is much more fundamentally interesting than Liberty City ever could be, an epic and credible story, and simply put, just much, much more stuff to do.

Throw in some excellent voice acting, a great soundtrack and eye-popping visuals, n' you've got yourself a winner!

Cross-X said:

Now that I've revealed my Bottom Half of the Top 50 List, let's see how the stats look:

Statistics (Consoles)
PS2 X 6
PS3 X 9
PS1 X 3
PSP X 2
GAMECUBE X 1
PC X 1
Wii X 1
GAMEBOY X 1
DS X 1

Statistics (Genres)
JRPG X 5
WRPG X 1
PLATFORMER X 3
FIRST PERSON SHOOTER X 3
INTERACTIVE DRAMA X 1
FIGHTING X 2
STEALTH ACTION/ADVENTURE X 2
RACING X 3
REAL TIME STRATEGY X 1
OPEN WORLD THIRD PERSON SHOOTER X 1
HACK N' SLASH X 2

Statisitcs (Nationality)
JAPANESE X 12
WESTERN X 13

Interesting. I decided to count my own stats, and they are as follows:

Consoles:

PS2 - 4

SNES - 3

Genesis/Mega Drive - 3

Playstation - 3

Xbox 360 - 2

PS3 - 2

N64 - 2

PC - 2

Wii - 1

Dreamcast - 1

GameCube - 1

DS - 1

Genres:

2D Platformer - 5

JRPG - 4

Fighting - 3

3D Platformer - 2

Action-Adventure - 2

Sandbox - 2

Hack n' Slash - 2

FPS - 1

RTS - 1

WRPG - 1

Stealth-Action - 1

Action-RPG-City-building simulation (Or whatever the Hell ActRaiser is) - 1

Nationality:

Japanese - 15

Western - 10

ishiki said:
Scoobes said:

No. 29: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

You'll all probably be suprised to hear this is the highest Zelda on my list. It's also the first Zelda game I ever played and quite simply, I played this solidly for months (at home, at school, on the way to school/home, before dinner, after dinner etc.). It was just so addicitive and really pushed my young imagination. I didn't care the graphics were 2D or that the graphics had no colour (prior to GB Colour), it was pure adventure gaming bliss. I completed it twice, and in my 2nd playthrough I didn't die once and pretty much did everything (including collecting the heart pieces). Love this game.

No. 28 Tomb Raider (PS & PC, also on Sega Saturn, remade as Tomb Raider Anniversary)

The game that lead to numerous sequels, sparked off the careers of a number of attractive models and spawned two films starring the gorgeous Angelina Jolie. During the PS1 era when 3D graphics were only just taking off, this game was revolutionary. Full 3D worlds to traverse, interesting puzzles and some stand out shock moments. It spawned many sequels and eventually needed a full re-envisioning in the following console gen, but the original in itself was a fantastic game

I think I agree with your choices more than anyone elses. XD Badgenome's close but I can't decide if the reason I agree is because his posts are funny. But :P I don' think anyone will agree with my top 10-15 haha

Same for me. Your list seems to be the most similar in taste to mine. I'll see what your top 15 look like, but I already know I approve of your no. 2 :P

Number 35

F-Zero X

When I gamed primarily on the N64 I was enchanted by the idea of speed as presented in a 3-D space. Remember Extreme-G? Loved that game. But I had never played F-Zero, as I hadn't owned an SNES when the system was relevant; I didn't know exactly what was waiting for me. I picked up F-Zero X because I heard it was fast.

Ever since then, all racing games - all racing games - are stopgaps between F-Zero titles.

F-Zero X in particular is a game steeped in speed, and everything else is secondary to that. Controls are tight and very responsive, I've never had a problem playing the game, and unlike its sequel it is almost relentlessly fair for a racing game. F-Zero X sacrificed graphics for smoothness and speed, as was appropriate, and it would be impossible to be happier with a racing game based on that alone.

Well, that's not true. F-Zero X also featured several other really fun modes (like the Knock Everyone the Hell Out of the Race race) and a random track generator - these tracks were so fun that I find it unconscionable that we haven't had one since. For shame! For shame to everyone.

F-Zero X is the most fun you can have driving a space car, and if that statement doesn't make your head want to explode with the implications then you aren't thinking hard enough.

Around the Network

Number 34

Gears of War 2

Let's get this out of the way: I am a co-op shooter junkie. In particular I love any co-op shooter that my brother and I can easily play together, even though we live 1500 miles apart now; Gears of War 2 was a game I picked up in the winter of 2008 after picking up my second 360 (the one my brother and I had bought together had been left with him in Louisiana). I bought it because we had played Gears together and loved it, and hoped that we would like this one too.

I want it understood that I don't play Horde or Deathmatch on Gears. THis game made this list solely for the co-op experience.

I actually reviewed the original Gears of War for gamrReview; you can see everything I loved about the games there. It's loud, it's bombastic, it's juvenile, it's irreverent, and it does everything it can to punch you in the face with exciting imagery and engaging battles. Coordinating with my brother over a headset made for one of the most engrossing and engaging gaming experiences I've ever had, and I would not trade it for anything.

This game's campaign does have one flaw: the fish boss is bullshit. If it hadn't been for that thing, this game would have easily landed in my top 20.

I continue to have bad luck with the banners of games in my top 50. Away I go!

Very busy weekend... time to catch up!

28. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)

So after the slightly disappointing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes on the GCN, Retro Studios came back and released the third and final chapter of the Prime series on the Wii. Oh, and by the way, this game is fantastic. The graphics and art design are up to Retro's incredible standard, as the game is just beautiful to look at. The music is incredible (just listen to Skytown. Just listen to it!), and the controls. Oh those controls... This is the first game to make fantastic usage of the WiiMote in a first person viewpoint. It was like a breath of fresh air actually having total control of Samus' arm cannon through the WiiMote, and I never wanted to go back ever again (luckily Nintendo released the amazing Metroid Prime Trilogy... but that's a story for another thread). Yeah, this game had all the important aspects down... but this game has so much icing on the wonderfully solid cake. I mean... there's the Ridley Battle ala the Balrog fight (so cool...), awesome puzzles, intense combat (the most action packed of the trilogy, that's for sure), larger than life boss fights... and a Mii bobble head. What an ending to a wonderful trilogy. Now... all we have to figure out is who was in that spaceship?

27. StarCraft/Brood War (PC)

While I played WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness, I never owned the title until much later. StarCraft was actualy my first RTS game I could call my own. And what a wild ride it was! I was never much of a BattleNet person at the time, but even still... I loved playing through that campaign and local multiplayer over and over. Of course, I thought the Zerg were the coolest race by far, so I would love making swarms of Zerglings and just rushing the crap out of my enemies (usually my brother, who was never pleased by this). Though I must admit, the Terrans and Protoss were pretty cool too. Especially when I cheated and created 12 Battlecruisers/Carriers just to demolish that foolish CPU opponent who dared challenge my wrath. And with Brood War, I got more toys to play with. Lurkers are just so much fun to use... there's just so many great memories with this game

Ah yeah... that's the stuff.

26. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)

Super Smash Bros. was back and bigger than ever! A brand new single player mode that had different Nintendo-themed areas as locations, trophies to collect, much more hidden characters to find and defeat... and of course, bigger, badder, and even awesomer 4 player multiplayer action! This game was so much fun with three friends and a couch. So many nights of laughter, shouting, and other crazy shenanigans as we smashed the crud out of one another. It was actually later that I discovered that there was a "competitive" group of players, and that Smash Bros. was srs business. My roommate in college was actually one of those competitive players, and so we spent days practicing moves and fighting each other 1 on 1 (Final Destination no items!). It was a different way of playing. Tough, tense, but still fun and satisfying. Oh, and on a somewhat ironic note, I've never ever wavedashed, and I refuse to ever do so! This game provided me hours upon hours (over 700 hours to be exact...) of fun, challenge, and Smashing goodness.

Main: Falco (I know... only until I got into the competitive spirit did I realize that this guy was top tier and much more powerful than other fellas. Oh well!)