By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 can still finish in first place.

jarrod said:
Gilgamesh said:

and several more price cut's to go, it's still at $299 and $350, imagine sales for a $199 PS3.

I imagine they'd pale in comparison to a $99 Wii.

People seem to overlook that Wii's held price higher, longer than any system in history.  Though really, we'll probably only get down to $149 before Nintendo retires it I bet. :/

A $50 price cut didn't make that big of a difference to the Wii last year, and it's still down YoY.

Also everyone go to Google news and put in PS3, this thread is the first link that comes up lol

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:

The Slim / $299 was only temporary?  It's a year later and the sales are still up alot from this time last year.

Yes, that is a good example, but that was from $399 to $299, an altogether much larger move than $299 to $249 or $199 would be.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Gilgamesh said:
jarrod said:
Gilgamesh said:

and several more price cut's to go, it's still at $299 and $350, imagine sales for a $199 PS3.

People seem to overlook that Wii's held price higher, longer than any system in history.  Though really, we'll probably only get down to $149 before Nintendo retires it I bet. :/

A $50 price cut didn't make that big of a difference to the Wii last year, and it's still down YoY.

Yet I still imagine why it would make a difference to the PS3!

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:

Yes, that is a good example, but that was from $399 to $299, an altogether much larger move than $299 to $249 or $199 would be.

$399 to $299 is the exact same as $299 to $199 dtewi.

It's arguable that the $299 to $199 would have a bigger impact due to it reaching a mass market price.

Cheebee said:
Maynard_Tool said:

I'm gonna remember this (=

Me too, this ought to be fun. XD

You two have been very quiet until this thread, I wonder why?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
dtewi said:

$399 to $299 is the exact same as $299 to $199 dtewi.

It's arguable that the $299 to $199 would have a bigger impact due to it reaching a mass market price.

$299 was the mass-market price for the PS3. It was much less daunting to buy a console that's $299 instead of $399.

Both the 360 and the Wii dropped down to the supposed mass-market price, yet neither saw increased sales for a prolonged time.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Gilgamesh said:
jarrod said:
Gilgamesh said:

Yet I still imagine why it would make a difference to the PS3!

The Wii was already cheap enough as it was, it started off at $250 while the PS3 was at $650 obviously a lot of people are going to avoid buying the PS3 at such a high price, but as it get's cheaper more and more people will be inclined to buy it. $300 is pretty much the price of a normal launch console, the PS3 finally reached that price point but is still a bit expensive for the average consumer. Also the Wii been at mass market price for quite some time, PS3 is still a ways away. The PS2 sold (I pretty sure it was 75% or 80%) of it's sales at $199 and below, not saying that's whats going to happen to the PS3 or Wii but just throwing that out there.

psrock said:

You two have been very quiet until this thread, I wonder why?

Now now.

To be fair to Maynard, he always seems to like to comment on the PSP sales. Until the Wii starts to do well, that is.

dtewi said:

$299 was the mass-market price for the PS3. It was much less daunting to buy a console that's $299 instead of $399.

Both the 360 and the Wii dropped down to the supposed mass-market price, yet neither saw increased sales for a prolonged time.

We can't say that $299 is the mass market price for the PS3 because we haven't seen how it can perform at the lower points of $250, and more importantly $199. The 360 did (and still is doing) perform exceptionally well. The Wii didn't.

The 360 continued to get excellent support though, which is what kept sales so good. And it actually increased in price in the UK.

SpartanFX said:

this guy might be rock on 2008

Really?! I remember him back when I was a newb and he used to crack me up!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson