By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metro 2033 = most underrated FPSOTY, Halo Reach = most overrated FPSOTY

disolitude said:
Doobie_wop said:

Metro 2033 is extremely underrated. When you compare the campaigns (I never played Reach multi-player), Metro completely blows Reach away. I actually enjoyed some parts of it better than Bioshock. The gameplay was great, I didn't find any of the bugs that people are mentioning and the voice-acting is great. It's an 8 hour atmospheric experience, with some interesting design quirks and it look's really good (played on 360). If someone can give it a rent, then try it.

Metro2033 "blowing away" reach single player is crazy talk. Metro 2033 is a good game and it tries to implement a lot of elements in to its gameplay, but the actual gunplay of Metro 2033 isn't worth the hair on the ass of Halo reach.

The game is scripted as they come and a basic corridor shooter with somewhat basic and wonky gunplay controls. There isn't a single compelling big battle in Metro 2033, there is no vehicle combat, there is not terrain or weapon strategy what so ever (just get the big auto shotgun and youre set) and there really isn't a reason to play it twice once done with the story, which is the main reason to play the game (story is great).

Also, as far as other elements which are not found in halo, they are pretty much all borrowed from other games. It borrowed stealth from Stalker, atmosphere and scary moments from FEAR, narritive and structure from Half Life 2...

I've beaten Metro twice, once on 360 and once on PC with 3D vision and it is a worthwhile experience, but it is not underrated. Here is hoping they improve on Metro2034 and make it a true classic.

As far as halo reach, I stand by my statement from before... you can't buy a more complete FPS game right now

Sorry for the late reply, but most of the things you disliked about the game are things that I actually enjoyed. I enjoy a scripted atmospheric experience, with weird gun play and a lack of vehicular combat. After I finished Reach, I didn't feel anything, I enjoyed the game, but the story was rubbish, none of the characters had been played out very well (besides Jorge) and I never got the big invasion moments they were trying to push onto me. From a gameplay perspective, Reach is a much better game, but from a presentational perspective, it falls flat.

Like I said earlier, Metro 2033 is a rent. I wouldn't recommend that someone actually buys the game over a multi-player experience like Halo, but it doesn't stop it from being a better game (in my opinion) either. I want different things from my games, one delivered them more than the other.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

Sorry for the late reply, but most of the things you disliked about the game are things that I actually enjoyed. I enjoy a scripted atmospheric experience, with weird gun play and a lack of vehicular combat. After I finished Reach, I didn't feel anything, I enjoyed the game, but the story was rubbish, none of the characters had been played out very well (besides Jorge) and I never got the big invasion moments they were trying to push onto me. From a gameplay perspective, Reach is a much better game, but from a presentational perspective, it falls flat.

Like I said earlier, Metro 2033 is a rent. I wouldn't recommend that someone actually buys the game over a multi-player experience like Halo, but it doesn't stop it from being a better game (in my opinion) either. I want different things from my games, one delivered them more than the other.

Well the problem with the atmosphere of Metro 2033 is it gets really boring and it lacks the depth I was hoping. I couldn't really distinguish the levels, gunplay gets boring because enemies take tons of bullets to kill and they are ALWAYS jumping around, and there was very little memorable about the campaign. The final chapter was a blast, but I felt like I just labored to get there.

I'm also turned off that its a psychological thriller. Its like they crowbarred F.E.A.R. in there. I don't see why a nuclear explosion made ghosts and monsters that appearently fuck with your head nor did they bother to explain it. The story should be more Fallout and less F.E.A.R..

Metro 2033 was a solid game overall. It was worth the rental. But I prefered the Halo Reach campaign simply because the gameplay is superior.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Doobie_wop said:

Fair enough...I will agree that for anyone looking for the type of experience that Metro 2033 offers (story/dialoge driven, atmospheric, hold the gamer by the hand, tight corridors and gun fights... type of shooter) will appreciate Metro 2033 better than Halo. As that type of experience I think it succeeds greatly, and is much better than similar types of games. FEAR is the only game I liked slightly more than Metro 2033 which is in similar vain.

As far as halo, story isn't great but it is servicable. Characters aren't fleshed out as much as they could be, but they do give a general purpose and reason to fight.

The gunplay and set pieces are the main draw to Halo series. No other game does what halo does.

Halo gunplay is based on... "Here is an enemy tank, here are the bad guys you got to kill, here are the weapons you can use, and here is the area wher the gunfight will happen... You figure it out!". And it is that scenario over and over and over...with pretty much unlimited possibilities how a battle can happen. It can never get old, as its always different.

Pretty much all other FPS games these days (after the MW craze) think the gamer is too stupid to figure out gunfights and will present you a single way to take down the enemy and will tell you about it even before the battle starts.  "Pick up rocket launcher and take out the tank"...don't like it and want to use something else? too bad!

I honestly can play Halo games forever (I've replayed Halo Combat evolved at least once every year), not cause I care about the story or cahracters, or visuals (music is amazing though)... but cause its the ultimate FPS when it comes to user control and integration in to battle. And that even before coop and multiplayer kick in...