By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spain, where the Wii failed?

Honestly, I think the PS§ is undertracked and the Wii overtracked in Spain. As Spain is a very good representation of the world, I assume this to be the case everywhere else and declare the PS3 the true market leader. I am confident ioi will realize his mistake and adapt worldwide sales numbers accordingly.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
sinha said:

Diomedes1976 said:

Even PS3 exclusives as Lair that IGn and Gamespot attacked have been highly praised .

I think that tells us what we need to know about the Spanish gaming magazines...

Or maybe the scores on IGN and Gamespot tells us what we need to know about US gaming magazines ...

I have played the game for some time in a friends house and although it has flaws it is a good game.Plus it has had some good reviews in Europe ,in Japan ,and some decent ones in NA as well .Looking as the very bad ones were only two and we actually saw the face of one of the reviewers (The IGN one ) and he looked like a fat and stupid freak then maybe the bad one is the IGN one isnt it ?Too many people speaking about the game without having even seen it first hand ,thats quite sad .Its not GOTY for sure ,but come on....leaving your own judgement aside to blindy believe what some guy that was crap playing the game and got frustrated has to say is not too smart .

Diomedes1976 said:
sinha said:

Diomedes1976 said:

Even PS3 exclusives as Lair that IGn and Gamespot attacked have been highly praised .

I think that tells us what we need to know about the Spanish gaming magazines...

Or maybe the scores on IGN and Gamespot tells us what we need to know about US gaming magazines ...

I have played the game for some time in a friends house and although it has flaws it is a good game.Plus it has had some good reviews in Europe ,in Japan ,and some decent ones in NA as well .Looking as the very bad ones were only two and we actually saw the face of one of the reviewers (The IGN one ) and he looked like a fat and stupid freak then maybe the bad one is the IGN one isnt it ?

Why are you still allowed to pollute this forum with your nonsense. 

Lair got 3 reviews higher than a 75, and it got 46 reviews of 75 or below.

The average was 53, whereas IGN score was a 49.

Yeah, only two bad reviews.  Just go away dude.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

i think Ps brand have been famous in Spain because before the PS1, the console market was seen as a children market, when the ps1 came out there were games where you had to kill people or something like that, so all the Children (inmature teenagers) wanted that games to be cool, because of that, the playstation was "the first" console that became very famous in Spain, so when people think about consoles here, playstation is in their minds. Even today, when they play with a console (whatever they are), they say, let's play with the "play"(refering to playstation)

I found this El Pais article from the beginning of this month. It says that there is no official data from Nintendo, but gives LTDs for PS3 and 360. The fact that they mentioned that no official data was available from Nintendo suggests that the PS3 and 360 data is from Sony and Microsoft.

PS3 - 320,000

360 - 200,000

Usually I'd assume that manufacturer's figures are shipped, but I'm not so sure here. SCE Spain sometimes use GfK figures, when they last did at the beginning of October PS3 was on 218,000 and 360 was at 184,000. 16,000 in two months sounds reasonable for the 360, and 100,000 in two months immediately after the price drop/40Gb sounds plausible for the PS3. As mentioned above this much was sold in France in just the one month following.

Personally I think the PS3 is being over-tracked in Spain, and under-tracked in France, but that kind of cancels the error out in total European sales.

Spanish speakers feel free to translate:

Link

Around the Network

Could someone change the thread's title? The OP made a mistake, Wii hasn't failed in Spain.

I skimmed through, so please forgive me if I'm repeating, but certain markets rely more on distribution than popularity. I travel a lot, and I've seen electronics stores with an entire wall devoted to Playstation products, but only a single Wii box in their window representing all non-Sony products. With smaller markets, it's more difficult to justify penetration, so a company that can't be assured at least X percent saturation won't put too much effort. Risk and return.

I'm not familiar with Spain's market specifically, but I would assume that the further forward in time we go, the closer Spain will match worldwide trends. Not to say that this move will necessarily be considerably closer, but that's the direction it will take.

BKK said:
I found this El Pais article from the beginning of this month. It says that there is no official data from Nintendo, but gives LTDs for PS3 and 360. The fact that they mentioned that no official data was available from Nintendo suggests that the PS3 and 360 data is from Sony and Microsoft.

PS3 - 320,000

360 - 200,000

Usually I'd assume that manufacturer's figures are shipped, but I'm not so sure here. SCE Spain sometimes use GfK figures, when they last did at the beginning of October PS3 was on 218,000 and 360 was at 184,000. 16,000 in two months sounds reasonable for the 360, and 100,000 in two months immediately after the price drop/40Gb sounds plausible for the PS3. As mentioned above this much was sold in France in just the one month following.

Personally I think the PS3 is being over-tracked in Spain, and under-tracked in France, but that kind of cancels the error out in total European sales.

Spanish speakers feel free to translate:

Link

You did a mistake. 360 was at 149,000 in the begin of october.

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_articulo.php?pic=GEN&id=cw470d2db0971ae&idj=&idp=&tipo=art&c=1&pos=1

"Según los datos de la auditora GfK, la base instalada de consolas en España a fecha 30 de septiembre es de 244.000 Wii, 218.000 PlayStation 3 y 149.000 Xbox 360.  "

So 200,000 is not credible.

For ps3, i don't think it's credible as well. 

Diomedes, you were right for the 360 in Spain, she was really very bad, since begin march to end september, and nobody accept to believe you. For the ps3, she was strong, and you have said that.

So impression when we are in the place are not always bad impressions. 

lombard2578 said:

You did a mistake. 360 was at 149,000 in the begin of october.

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_articulo.php?pic=GEN&id=cw470d2db0971ae&idj=&idp=&tipo=art&c=1&pos=1

"Según los datos de la auditora GfK, la base instalada de consolas en España a fecha 30 de septiembre es de 244.000 Wii, 218.000 PlayStation 3 y 149.000 Xbox 360. "

So 200,000 is not credible.

For ps3, i don't think it's credible as well.

Yes, you're right, I did make a mistake there, it was only 149,000 (sold to consumers). The 200,000 360 figure must be shipped. As for PS3 figure, I'm not sure, but I'd guess it's sold to consumers, as I'd expect shipped to be higher than 320,000.

¿¿Why the PS brand is so strong??

Answer: PSOne, PS2 + ModChip, lots of sales in Spain (ok, in the world too)..
Right now Sony is strong due to the male population who grew up with this two consoles (They are not kids anymore, so they can not play other console than the mighty and mature PS3)...
Oh, and the games can be only in HD (Anything below 720 is a joke) , anything else is just a fad and is not worth talk about it, play it, or think about it...BTW Nintendo is just for kids and nobody between 12 and 24 can play any Ninty-kiddie game...

If you don't believe me, go to www.vidaextra.com , thats a blog full of teens Sony fans... all of then have claim in some moment the first paragraph...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."