By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spain, where the Wii failed?

jhlennon1 said:
Shura said:
En españa son lamehuevos del Sony y del PlayStation asi los traten a punta de patadas. Alla compran cualquier porqueria que diga play station aunque sea papel de baño. (no le digo porqueria al ps3, solo es como expresion).

I would love to know what this says but my Spanish ain't so great. Translation anyone? I'm english.

And this:

Y es en serio, eh leido en sitios españoles gente que dice que alla se vende y compran el ps3 porque es "la play" solo por eso. Asi que no creo que sea falla del wii, sino que ahi son extremadamente fanaticos de sony.

Thank you!

He said: In Spain, they are suckers for everything Sony and Playstation, even when they treat  them like trash. They will buy any crap that has the Playstation brand, even toilet paper. (I'm not calling the PS3 crap, it's just an expression)

The other thing says: And really, I've read spaniard websites that there, people buy the PS3 only because is "the Play"... just because of that. So I don't think Wii is doing something wrong, it's just that they are extremely fanatics towards Sony .

Around the Network

Thx for the translation Fazz :). I really should learn Spanish some day.

It's just that we are stupidly brand loyal here. To give you an example, the main telecom company is still in the market with a leading share while its competitors are offering both better service and prices. You'd need a major disaster for people to reconsider a brand, and i'm talking about consoles-blowing-up and taking your house down kind of disaster.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

alcabcucu said:
Portugal is most surely included. I do not want to seem disrespectful to portuguese friends, but Portugal is a very small market (11 million vs. 46 million), and probably with a console market not as evolved as the spanish one.

I've been reading Diomedes' post, and I do not agree with him in all his ideas. I do not think Microsoft's XBOX360 is seen as he describes. XBOX games are receiving higher ratings on every spanish magazine, and I've met many angry customers who bought a PS3 months before its price was dropped.
It is also important to say that the most important videogame magazine in Spain, Hobby Consolas, has been hyping Sony products for a very long time.

Nintendo's sales, considering all my previous thoughts, are simply amazing. And Microsoft has experienced a growth in sales anyone expected. But Sony is just too strong to be beaten, yet.
By the way, I currently own a Wii and a XBOX360.

Yeah, don't worry about him. He's like the worst kind of troll and PS3 fanboy there is. Atleast Leo-J's silly claims are funny.  He's likely one of those people described as just buying because of brand name alone.

Diomedes1976 said:
There are Wii owners and there are Wiitards .Most of the people posting in this thread are Wiitards .Sad ,but true .

And the PS3 outsells the 360 in all Europe save maybe UK (and we dont know since the 40Gb introduction ) .Its not only a case of Spain ,Italy ,Portugal and Greece .

In any case ,and given that you are insulting my country ,maybe you should know that the common conception on the americans worlwide is that you are absolute ignorants that doesnt even know where the other countries are and dont know nearly anything outside your country or even better state .That would explain many things with the american market too (obsession with FPS for instance ) .Your patritiotism would also explain the X360 doing well there while it flops in the rest of the world .

So stop flaming ,because its easy to use a cliche to attack others .

The PS3 sells great in Spain ,the Wii sells very good too although not so much and the X360 sells quite poorly .Thats all and trying to spin this is useless ,more so that you are trying to spin this with cliches as the supposed macho-looking behaviour of the southern europeans .The PS3 also outsold the Wii last october in Germany too dont you know it ,and in Japan ....maybe those are too macho-looking guys that must to have the most expensive machine ?

I totally agree with Diomedes here. Just as it is completely unfair to pass judgement based on (completely false) stereotypes of someone from Spain (come on, you think many men in the US don't treat women like shit as much as anywhere else? Where do you live (as I'm pretty sure that's just what you'll find EVERYWHERE)?), it's just as ludicrous to think all Americans are exactly what Diomedes described in his sarcastic generalization (which, for whatever it's worth, does not describe me, as an American, in any way what-so-ever...I'm quite great at geography and would love nothing more than to travel the world and meet people from all over).

Listen, the fact that he can write as well as he does in English, obviously his second language, definitely warrants a bit of respect. I won't say I agree with all of his viewpoints, as to me they're a bit unrealistic; but I understand where he is coming from. If I were living in Spain, I'd probably think the way he does. Completely different culture where Sony has a very big stronghold (I'd be interested to learn the history of how that started).

Let's please keep it civil. If you want to call someone a "12 year old" please learn to not generalize and base your judgments of millions of people on some erroneous anecdotal "evidence".

Disagreeing is one thing, but this "name-calling" can do no good (really can only make this site look bad).

Around the Network

Aca en sudamerica el ps3 cuesta alrededor de 1600 dolares y el wii 1000 dolares, asi que con los bajos ingresos que tenemos no creo que se vendan ni siquiera 10 consolas de cada una :D.

Translation: Here in south america ps3 costs around 1600 dollars, while the wii is at 1000 dollars, so considering the low incomes we got here, its highly probable that the amount of consoles being sold could be counted with your fingers. xD

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

No es cierto que en España se vendan mas PS3 que Wii's. VGChartz no tiene datos oficiales de Nintendo, y los de la PS3 son los que dio Sony de distribuidas. 

Aqui, todo hace indicar que la Wii vende más, los dependientes afirman que la Wii se vende mucho mas que la PS3 y casi tanto como la NDS, incluso en la pagina web "www.game.es", que es una referencia en españa, sobre videojuegos, la Wii casi siempre esta al Top 15, mientras que la PS3 esta normalmente en el Top 40. 

(In "English" ^^) 

Is a false statement what spain sold more ps3 than wii's, Vgchartz doesn't have oficial numbers of nintendo solds, and the ps3 counts are only for the sony's shipment.

Here, all he makes indicate that the Wii sells more, the employees affirm that the Wii is sold much but that the PS3 and almost as much as the NDS, even in the Web "www.game.es", that is a reference in Spain (in games) the Wii almost always this to Top 15,  then ps3 is around top 40.

Un saludo! 

alcabcucu said:
Another Spaniard here, from Barcelona.

If VGCHARTZ numbers are right, this means Spain is the fourth market in the world for PS3 (right after USA, JAPAN and UK). Quite an astonishing achievement for Sony España!!

Living here I think I can confirm that PS3 is the best selling next-gen console in Spain. Why? That is something very difficult for me to answer. Probably because Nintendo and Microsoft started to do real marketing for their products a year ago, while Sony has been marketing their PS brand for years.

Also noticeable is that Nintendo isn't bringing too many Wii's to our country. Shortages are happening everywhere in the world, but I think mediterranean countries are receiving lower % of stock.

I'd like to add something: please DO NOT believe those cliches. Spain is not a big country, it has experienced an unexpected growth in three decades and became a rich and prosper place to live, but we males are not "klingons" (though many seem to think so). Not all of us like bull fights, nor we dance "flamenco or sevillanas". Small country, with huge and very noticeable differences between the many cultures living there together for many centuries.

Oh my, all of you like bullfights and dance the flamenco all day? Hearing it from a spanish guy is quite surprising, but hey, if you say so, you must know.

Great to have some Spanish guys posting on here that are not named diomedes. Otherwise your country would be infamous for wiitards and toy like wiis forever.

entonces, bienvenidos a esta pagina de internet tan vacano. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Hockeymac18 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
There are Wii owners and there are Wiitards .Most of the people posting in this thread are Wiitards .Sad ,but true .

And the PS3 outsells the 360 in all Europe save maybe UK (and we dont know since the 40Gb introduction ) .Its not only a case of Spain ,Italy ,Portugal and Greece .

In any case ,and given that you are insulting my country ,maybe you should know that the common conception on the americans worlwide is that you are absolute ignorants that doesnt even know where the other countries are and dont know nearly anything outside your country or even better state .That would explain many things with the american market too (obsession with FPS for instance ) .Your patritiotism would also explain the X360 doing well there while it flops in the rest of the world .

So stop flaming ,because its easy to use a cliche to attack others .

The PS3 sells great in Spain ,the Wii sells very good too although not so much and the X360 sells quite poorly .Thats all and trying to spin this is useless ,more so that you are trying to spin this with cliches as the supposed macho-looking behaviour of the southern europeans .The PS3 also outsold the Wii last october in Germany too dont you know it ,and in Japan ....maybe those are too macho-looking guys that must to have the most expensive machine ?

I totally agree with Diomedes here. Just as it is completely unfair to pass judgement based on (completely false) stereotypes of someone from Spain (come on, you think many men in the US don't treat women like shit as much as anywhere else? Where do you live (as I'm pretty sure that's just what you'll find EVERYWHERE)?), it's just as ludicrous to think all Americans are exactly what Diomedes described in his sarcastic generalization (which, for whatever it's worth, does not describe me, as an American, in any way what-so-ever...I'm quite great at geography and would love nothing more than to travel the world and meet people from all over).

Listen, the fact that he can write as well as he does in English, obviously his second language, definitely warrants a bit of respect. I won't say I agree with all of his viewpoints, as to me they're a bit unrealistic; but I understand where he is coming from. If I were living in Spain, I'd probably think the way he does. Completely different culture where Sony has a very big stronghold (I'd be interested to learn the history of how that started).

Let's please keep it civil. If you want to call someone a "12 year old" please learn to not generalize and base your judgments of millions of people on some erroneous anecdotal "evidence".

Disagreeing is one thing, but this "name-calling" can do no good (really can only make this site look bad).

no it doesnt. only cause he can speak a second language does not mean you have to respect his opinion. And saying: oh how speciual, someone who can speak english as his second language is just bull. in Europe, anyone who cant speak english has a big problem. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Kasz216 said:
alcabcucu said:
Portugal is most surely included. I do not want to seem disrespectful to portuguese friends, but Portugal is a very small market (11 million vs. 46 million), and probably with a console market not as evolved as the spanish one.

I've been reading Diomedes' post, and I do not agree with him in all his ideas. I do not think Microsoft's XBOX360 is seen as he describes. XBOX games are receiving higher ratings on every spanish magazine, and I've met many angry customers who bought a PS3 months before its price was dropped.
It is also important to say that the most important videogame magazine in Spain, Hobby Consolas, has been hyping Sony products for a very long time.

Nintendo's sales, considering all my previous thoughts, are simply amazing. And Microsoft has experienced a growth in sales anyone expected. But Sony is just too strong to be beaten, yet.
By the way, I currently own a Wii and a XBOX360.

Yeah, don't worry about him. He's like the worst kind of troll and PS3 fanboy there is. Atleast Leo-J's silly claims are funny.  He's likely one of those people described as just buying because of brand name alone.

Wrong ,I didnt even own a PS2 ever .So much for the brand loyalism .In fact I had a Cube and a Xbox .But ,as I am clever and dont buy things on brand name alone I changed camps for the far superior PS3 that gives me a lot more from my money and is of a better manufacturing quality .So much for your "intellectual " approach to my behaviour .