By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: “No Reviews of Kinect!”

I sense that if the reviews do some out, lots of people will not be buying it?

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
tensen1212 said:

I had some friends who went to one of those kinect showings to play some of those kinect games. They all told me that aside from dance central which they seid was really fun every other game was a joke. They told me about how kinect adventures had all sorts of slowdown problems and was unresponsive, that kinect sports game they seid it was boring and the worst game they played at the showing.

im probably gonna get banned for this arnt i?

Making up stuff? You should. Every preview says that Kinect sports and Kinect Adventures are two of the most responsive games.

Nintendogamer said:

I sense that if the reviews do some out, lots of people will not be buying it?

wishful thinking, the core already know what the reviews will say.

The game media that reviews stuff for core gamers, is ripping Move a new one at this point, panning the games.  Why would Microsoft expose their product to reviewers that pretty much hate motion control?  Yes, it is message control on the part of Microsoft.  They $500 million promotion budget for Kinect is what they want to get the word out.

kowenicki said:

Wow... some of the reactions in here...

If people want to believe that MS are prepared to spend $500m on advertising a product that is crap and essentially doesn't work then fine.

It amazes me the lack of awareness of what is going on right now in gaming.  Even gaming journalists seem oblivious to what has happened in the last few years.

Despite what some would have you believe there ARE definitely different groups of gamers now at large (call it core and casual if you like - the title matters not).  The target audience for this initial launch of kinect is NOT your Halo, MW2, Bioshock, GT5 or FFXIII audience.  It is the Wii fit, Wii sports, Wii party perhaps even Mario Kart audience.  Review sites like this cannot help such a launch and can only harm it.  MS know this. We all know this... or at least we should know this.

MS are being smart, the best reactions for this will be from the mainstream media and from word of mouth.  The traditional gaming press will likely be very elitist about it and probably a tad negative.    

Thats my take anyway.

QFT!

I agree... how can so many of your be so ignorant?

I'd also like to add that Move is getting a pounding from behind from reviews... I've only seen 1 game from Move get an 8 so far... the rest got 4, 5 and 6's... now idc about Move because I don't own a PS3 but I've seen reviews of quite a few games casually on my way to reading other things and that's the general view of reviewers.... MS smart move... no wonder your so dam rich!

Again these reviewers are core reviewers... so we all know its gonna go bad. Look at Move.... poor poor Move.

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.

Around the Network
Jadedx said:
tensen1212 said:

I had some friends who went to one of those kinect showings to play some of those kinect games. They all told me that aside from dance central which they seid was really fun every other game was a joke. They told me about how kinect adventures had all sorts of slowdown problems and was unresponsive, that kinect sports game they seid it was boring and the worst game they played at the showing.

im probably gonna get banned for this arnt i?

Making up stuff? You should. Every preview says that Kinect sports and Kinect Adventures are two of the most responsive games.

im just going by what my friends seid

that is all

Calmador said:
kowenicki said:

If people want to believe that MS are prepared to spend $500m on advertising a product that is crap and essentially doesn't work then fine.

It amazes me the lack of awareness of what is going on right now in gaming.  Even gaming journalists seem oblivious to what has happened in the last few years.

Despite what some would have you believe there ARE definitely different groups of gamers now at large (call it core and casual if you like - the title matters not).  The target audience for this initial launch of kinect is NOT your Halo, MW2, Bioshock, GT5 or FFXIII audience.  It is the Wii fit, Wii sports, Wii party perhaps even Mario Kart audience.  Review sites like this cannot help such a launch and can only harm it.  MS know this. We all know this... or at least we should know this.

MS are being smart, the best reactions for this will be from the mainstream media and from word of mouth.  The traditional gaming press will likely be very elitist about it and probably a tad negative.    

Thats my take anyway.

I agree, how can people be so ignorant?

There's no ignorance in believing a business shouldn't try and manipulate its press to be favourable. Kow's point is very weak IMHO.  It's like saying only let someone who likes cheesy horror films review cheesy horror films, or someone who likes heavy metal review heavy metal.  In a sense that's the worstapproach as it's a simple self confirming closed circle.  The whole point of general reviews is to provide different views and allow you to guage stuff outside your knowledge.

Why shouldn't I, a seasoned gamer, get to read reviews by seasoned gamers of what they thought of Kinect titles?  That's useful for me and allows me to get a feel for how I might find the titles myself.

If the games are fun then they'll get decent scores.  Will some Wii and Move titles have been panned those that are good from a more traditional gamer aspect aren't, and I don't see why MS should behave in a way to try and exlude a section of their potential purchasing community.

There are a lot of general reviews in every medium, with games being no different, and Kinect title's shouldn't be ducking them, particularly if Nintendo and Sony titles aren't.  An even playing field is better for the consumer.  And we should, as the buying gamers, be arguing for what benefits us - clear and consistent reviews - vs what is better for the business.

I want to be able to read someone like Ebert's take on Transformers as much as his take on The Third Man, and the same applies in gaming.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

@richardhutnik  i dont think your being fair as an early MOVE adopter i can tell you the games that got bad reviews deserve it. its not some elaborate conspiracy that the media is trying to destroy motion gaming. THe badly reviewed ones (the ones i did play) honestly are garbage. Sports champions got good reviews because guess what it didnt suck. its not the 2nd coming but it is enjoyable and showcases Moves capabilities quite well Tumble was good and got decent reviews as well  surprise surprise

oniyide said:

@richardhutnik  i dont think your being fair as an early MOVE adopter i can tell you the games that got bad reviews deserve it. its not some elaborate conspiracy that the media is trying to destroy motion gaming. THe badly reviewed ones (the ones i did play) honestly are garbage. Sports champions got good reviews because guess what it didnt suck. its not the 2nd coming but it is enjoyable and showcases Moves capabilities quite well Tumble was good and got decent reviews as well  surprise surprise

Exactly right and why Kinect titles should be no different.  SC has a meta of 76 and actually looking at the reviews is probably a bit low with reviews ranging from around 50 to 95 and a user rating of 8.5.  Pretty good for a launch game that is - as an owner - pretty good but not amazing.  Same with Tumble, etc.

There is plenty of evidence looking at Wii that good motion control games can garner perfectly good reviews, so this whole 'Kinect titles are too different to be reviewed by mainstream gaming press' is just nonsense.

It's not like the casual audience would be put off anyway - they won't be reading those reviews.  They're for another perfectly valid potential Kinect audience

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Calmador said:
kowenicki said:

Thats my take anyway.

I agree, how can people be so ignorant?

There's no ignorance in believing a business shouldn't try and manipulate its press to be favourable. Kow's point is very weak IMHO.  It's like saying only let someone who likes cheesy horror films review cheesy horror films, or someone who likes heavy metal review heavy metal.  In a sense that's the worstapproach as it's a simple self confirming closed circle.  The whole point of general reviews is to provide different views and allow you to guage stuff outside your knowledge.

Why shouldn't I, a seasoned gamer, get to read reviews by seasoned gamers of what they thought of Kinect titles?  That's useful for me and allows me to get a feel for how I might find the titles myself.

If the games are fun then they'll get decent scores.  Will some Wii and Move titles have been panned those that are good from a more traditional gamer aspect aren't, and I don't see why MS should behave in a way to try and exlude a section of their potential purchasing community.

There are a lot of general reviews in every medium, with games being no different, and Kinect title's shouldn't be ducking them, particularly if Nintendo and Sony titles aren't.  An even playing field is better for the consumer.  And we should, as the buying gamers, be arguing for what benefits us - clear and consistent reviews - vs what is better for the business.

I want to be able to read someone like Ebert's take on Transformers as much as his take on The Third Man, and the same applies in gaming.

You missed the point completely.

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.