By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: “No Reviews of Kinect!”

kowenicki said:

There is little point in geting into a debate with some of the posters here.  Actually its utterly pointless.  Lets just wait and see if all this fear and panic induced hatred is justified or not shall we.

Oh.. and can VGC forums have an "Offcial Kinect HATE thread please" would save so much time and space and tidy up all the daily threads of bile I have to wade through.

Only if you start an "Official Kinect is sold out everywhere" thread as we get just as many of those.

Around the Network

If it is a timed embargo, then it is business-as-usual (for all providers).

If the magazines do not like the product, it will really get panned.

Game Informer did not get a Wii in advance ... and you have seen its reviewers of Wii games.

Finally, casuals are not DUMB. I am still waiting for someone to show me a Wii game that was not genre defining that sold well despite poor reviews.  Carnival Games was the right game and the right time. Six Flags was not.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

akuseru said:
kowenicki said:
Zlejedi said:
kowenicki said:

Wow... some of the reactions in here...

If people want to believe that MS are prepared to spend $500m on advertising a product that is crap and essentially doesn't work then fine.

Windows Millenium

Windows Vista

the last attempt at Windows phone which was discontinued after few weeks ?

vista was software... but anyway did windows vista sell? yes, did it work? yes  (people may have grumbled, but it essentially worked and was succesful in sales)

did they spend $500m advertising that recent phone?  no they spent next to bugger all and dropped it.  They would have dropped kinect way before now if they felt it wasnt a flyer.

try harder.

RROD says hello. I'm sure they spent loads of money advertising the 360, still it was/is one of the most faulty electronic devices in history. They have spent LOTS OF MONEY on faulty products before (like, EVERY SINGLE Microsoft OS I have owned), and I don't see why Kinect should not be more of the same from Microsoft.

One of the reasons they are spending so much on advertising might just be a way to "fool" enough people to buy the device. And they don't want people to review it? And you guys are making the lamest excuses, that the Kinect does not cater to the gaming websites. Then I guess you never want any reviews for any Kinect game ever releasing? I mean, since Kinect is not for us and the gaming publications, why are we even talking about it on the gaming forums (with only hardcore gamers present. As mentioned many times here, casual don't search these forums for info) of a gaming publication / gaming site?

I guess none of you want any review of this Steel Battalion game? I mean, it's not like it's catering to you guys anyways... lol... you guys really crack me up. Trying to defend this practice from Microsoft. IF Kinect actually worked like a charm, Microsoft wouldn't even think twice about giving it to reviewers. They would've given them out like candy making sure every reviewer got their hands on this perfectly working, innovative piece of tech. If it's actually working as advertised, then Microsoft should grow some fucking balls and get behind their product.

Microsoft might fool you guys, but they certainly ain't fooling me, ever again...

lol

Many traditional video game reviewers and consumers are evidently hostile to Kinect and what it entails. I believe MS is aiming Kinect at a totally different market to the traditional, so it makes sense to focus on that without allowing the hostile crowd to poison their launch. MS doesn't care if the hostile corwd gets bent  out of shape, they've already made up their mind that Kinect sucks and just want to proselytize their case.

Mr Khan said:
kowenicki said:

"first kinect review"    SEARCH

About 19,500,000 results (0.11 seconds) 

?

I have difficulty understanding what you were trying to prove with this

GOOGLE

"1 equals 2"

About 23.000.000 results (0.18 seconds)

Around the Network

what i find interesting is this whole argument of these games arent for the core. by that reasoning no one should ever make fun of the Wii library ever again. Its ok to crap on Wii and Move for casuals but when MS does it your not allowed to talk crap because its MS???? You either like the idea of motion control or you dont, dont jump on the bandwagon cause your system of choice finally decides to embrace it. this goes for Sony guys too

between this and the horrid games theyre releasing with it i cancelled my pre order, i wanted to try it but now i think ill wait and see how the reviews go lol.

makes me think theres something for them to hide

cory.ok said:

between this and the horrid games theyre releasing with it i cancelled my pre order, i wanted to try it but now i think ill wait and see how the reviews go lol.

makes me think theres something for them to hide

Me thinks you didnt have it pre-ordered, so Me dont cares

It all makes sense if you make one assumption: Microsoft believes that many people will be disappointed when they try out Kinect in real-world setups and for themselves.

It's okay however for Microsoft to let people try out Kinect in special Kinect booths at Gamescon, E3 etc. however, because that way Kinect's biggest problems do not get apparent:

• Kinect requires lots of space - it works fine in large, completely empty rooms, but it won't work well in many living rooms, at least without seriously rearranging the furniture
  • Almost all Kinect games do not work if you're sitting - if you're trying Kinect out in a booth that doesn't even have a chair then you won't even consider sitting down
  • Playing Kinect is exhausting and only fun for a few minutes - people will not realize this if they only have five minutes in a Kinect booth, but reviewers with review copies could play it as they like and they would realize

Oh for f---'s sake.  They have had Kinect at malls for people to try, a huge beta and places like PAX.  If they were concerned about a crap product that no one would like and negative word of mouth, it'd have been hidden from view all this time.

They're not letting it out because the software isn't the greatest stuff ever, I'd imagine, not because of the unit itself.  That's my guess.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?