By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: “No Reviews of Kinect!”

When I first read the title I thought that Kinect wouldn't have any review's whatsoever.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

Hmm funny, now why wouldn't MS want people to get there hands on this device as soon as possible and spread their impressions? What do they have to hide?

This is just classic MS.. *Wiggles fingers. "Go buy our mediocre product everyone! Don't pay attention to the accounts of lag, or the fact that you cannot play while sitting. Don't pay attention to the fact that it only recognizes two people at a time or that you may need to change your clothes to brighter colors. Don't worry about the fact that it will cost you $300 for an Xbox 360 and another $150 for Kinect, that currently supports 17 games that all look like they are mini games from Mario Party yet cost $60 each."

I don't see what more proof people need that this thing is going to suck, big time. It is all typical smoke and mirrors from MS. Sure it will sell like mad for a couple of months from the sheer novelty of 3D motion controller-less gaming, but expect the sales of this thing to plummet after people realized they were duped into buying an overhyped Eye Toy 2.0 with a bunch of games equivilant to Wii 3rd party shovelware. Seriously, if people think there was a major hardcore bashlash against Nintendo for the Wii, they haven't seen nothin yet. Now the Move may be a shameless Wiimote ripoff but at least Sony is supporting some games for it that aren't an insult to gamers' intelligence.

Metallicube said:

Hmm funny, now why wouldn't MS want people to get there hands on this device as soon as possible and spread their impressions? What do they have to hide?

This is just classic MS.. *Wiggles fingers. "Go buy our mediocre product everyone! Don't pay attention to the accounts of lag, or the fact that you cannot play while sitting. Don't pay attention to the fact that it only recognizes two people at a time or that you may need to change your clothes to brighter colors. Don't worry about the fact that it will cost you $300 for an Xbox 360 and another $150 for Kinect, that currently supports 17 games that all look like they are mini games from Mario Party yet cost $60 each."

I don't see what more proof people need that this thing is going to suck, big time. It is all typical smoke and mirrors from MS. Sure it will sell like mad for a couple of months from the sheer novelty of 3D motion controller-less gaming, but expect the sales of this thing to plummet after people realized they were duped into buying an overhyped Eye Toy 2.0 with a bunch of games equivilant to Wii 3rd party shovelware. Seriously, if people think there was a major hardcore bashlash against Nintendo for the Wii, they haven't seen nothin yet. Now the Move may be a shameless Wiimote ripoff but at least Sony is supporting some games for it that aren't an insult to gamers' intelligence.

An insult to gamer's intelligence? You might have a point if your post wasn't dripping in bs hyperbole that anybody reading your posts here for the past few months would expect.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

The launch games will bomb, nothing we don't already know. This wont stop casuals for picking up the device though. However if press badmouth it before it can be bough they will lose potential buyers.

Reasonable said:
Calmador said:
kowenicki said:

Wow... some of the reactions in here...

If people want to believe that MS are prepared to spend $500m on advertising a product that is crap and essentially doesn't work then fine.

It amazes me the lack of awareness of what is going on right now in gaming.  Even gaming journalists seem oblivious to what has happened in the last few years.

Despite what some would have you believe there ARE definitely different groups of gamers now at large (call it core and casual if you like - the title matters not).  The target audience for this initial launch of kinect is NOT your Halo, MW2, Bioshock, GT5 or FFXIII audience.  It is the Wii fit, Wii sports, Wii party perhaps even Mario Kart audience.  Review sites like this cannot help such a launch and can only harm it.  MS know this. We all know this... or at least we should know this.

MS are being smart, the best reactions for this will be from the mainstream media and from word of mouth.  The traditional gaming press will likely be very elitist about it and probably a tad negative.    

Thats my take anyway.

I agree, how can people be so ignorant?

There's no ignorance in believing a business shouldn't try and manipulate its press to be favourable. Kow's point is very weak IMHO.  It's like saying only let someone who likes cheesy horror films review cheesy horror films, or someone who likes heavy metal review heavy metal.  In a sense that's the worstapproach as it's a simple self confirming closed circle.  The whole point of general reviews is to provide different views and allow you to guage stuff outside your knowledge.

Why shouldn't I, a seasoned gamer, get to read reviews by seasoned gamers of what they thought of Kinect titles?  That's useful for me and allows me to get a feel for how I might find the titles myself.

If the games are fun then they'll get decent scores.  Will some Wii and Move titles have been panned those that are good from a more traditional gamer aspect aren't, and I don't see why MS should behave in a way to try and exlude a section of their potential purchasing community.

There are a lot of general reviews in every medium, with games being no different, and Kinect title's shouldn't be ducking them, particularly if Nintendo and Sony titles aren't.  An even playing field is better for the consumer.  And we should, as the buying gamers, be arguing for what benefits us - clear and consistent reviews - vs what is better for the business.

I want to be able to read someone like Ebert's take on Transformers as much as his take on The Third Man, and the same applies in gaming.

Thats actually how it should be done.   Not necessarily that strict but you also shouldn't let someone who only likes romantic comedies review a horror film.

I've seen complaints on this forum more than once, from fans of all consoles, that a site got a reviewer who generally hates a specific genre review a game from that genre and give it a not so great review.  JRPGs are a classic example.  How many people have said "well, it's a JPRG, all the gaming media hate them and they get lower reviews than they deserve, so I only trust the reviews of people I know who actually like the genre in the first place"?  I've seen it more than once.

It would be awesome if every reviewer was neutral but that's simply not the case.

I saw one horrible preview of Kinect where the reviewer basically said "it sucked as much as I expected it to suck".  Which means he went in already having made up his mind that he wasn't going to like it.    He was from a site that isn't exactly small yet the guy had the words "fanboy" written all over him.

Around the Network
welshbloke said:
theprof00 said:

Ok, my one condition of the bet though, is that it will be a retailer price-drop. Walmart perhaps, or something like "get 2 games free with kinect purchase.

Or, buy 360, get kinect for free.

cool?

I'll add it to my bet thread if it's cool.

Soooo... is this based on the fact you believe retail will use this to attract additional customers due to the massive success of kinect as a loss leader or because you feel it will have bombed so hard.

Lets glance at the sig to see what my crystal ball tells me... I see answered that one.

You really honestly believe kinect will have such massive success that they will use it as a loss leader? 

Is there a reflection in your crystal ball perhaps? :P

There is no reason, absolutely no reason to give a massively successful, brand new product away for free except in giveaways, sweepstakes, fundraisers, and very large purchases that have a lot of competition (like tvs, thousand dollar home-theater sound systems, etc).

Don't forget the fact that you also called it a loss leader. Why did you call it that? In the industry, a loss leader is one that can make the money back through software. I also question how this would help a retailer as hardware is never very profitable as opposed to games. If you give a huge discount on hardware, it's going to be even harder to make it back through the game profit.

ie; kinect costs retailer 122 per unit, let's say.
games cost 45-50 per unit.

give away the kinect and you have to make back 122$ worth of games profit, which turns into roughly 10 games per customer to break even.

Now, I'm also glad you brought up my sig. It shows just how superficial your investigations are. I've been interested in kinect since it was announced. I talked about the possibilities and was really excited about it. However, over time that excitement wore off after numerous goofs, bad planning, and this this kind of stuff in the OP sealed it.

So, maybe you should check my post history and actually see where I'm coming from. You want to look smart right? There's no better way to do that then to argue the point from an informed point of view rather than some pedantic measure of my character.

gergroy said:
theprof00 said:
gergroy said:

lol, I'm not the one betting with you, but it seems like you are trying to get somebody to bet more on holiday promotions rather than an actual price drop due to poor performance of kinect.  

What is a retailer to do when they get suckered into ordering millions of a bad product?

bundle it with something else, but that doesn't mean that kinect is the bad product.  Imagine if you will that kinect is free with the purchase of an hdtv.  How can you prove that kinect is the crappy product?  Or how can you prove that it isn't  a manufacturer promotion?  I work at Best Buy and Microsoft, Sony, tons of companies will actually give us credit based on how much of the product we sold.  They actually organize the sell, Best Buy doesn't.  So how is a holiday promotion going to prove anything?  

I kind of already addressed this "issue" once, but I'll say it again rather than make you read through this thread. 

Bundling with a tv or something is a no brainer. That's how you sell new tech. It's in every vanilla playbook. I worked at Best Buy and Epson. I know about the deals they give. However, what I'm saying is that stores are going to be blowing this out on low-margin products like the 360 itself. 

I believe that stores are going to be really overstocked with kinect this christmas. It's just not going to be that big. It's going to be big, but I believe that stores are going to fill their warehouses specifically because of things like quantity shipments etc.

Additionally, manufacturer discounts completely factor in with my bet in the first place. Microsoft makes a sale when the retailer buys the product, not when the consumer does. Microsoft is going to want to push as many of these as possible before word of mouth slams it. 

That's why it's coming out so close to christmas. That's why there aren't any reviews. That's why any good length of playtime by a consumer is nil. Get through Christmas. Get them out. Let people figure it out after christmas.

I've always thought that kinect was a cool product, the problem is that 
a) it's basically another wii, which everyone and their mom already has
b) It's no better than the wii
c) The core aren't interested
d) It's expensive to buy the full package.

However, for the core, none of those problems exist in the 360.

What to do?

give kinect with the 360. 

Solves all the problems and puts them in people's homes. I still also believe that there are going to be major problems with kinect's control style too. It will all implode sometime next year.

bobbert said:

OMG 3 weeks before launch and the only glimpse of it is a press event in San Francisco!

http://news.cnet.com/PlayStation-3-shines-in-prelaunch-test/2100-1043_3-6127834.html

Yes, and the PS3 launch didn't go that well after the initial rush.  Which is exactly what people are pointing out is possible for Kinect.

@OP:

Sell it now, fix it later (if possible). Nothing new from MS.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

daroamer said:
Reasonable said:
Calmador said:
kowenicki said:

Wow... some of the reactions in here...

If people want to believe that MS are prepared to spend $500m on advertising a product that is crap and essentially doesn't work then fine.

It amazes me the lack of awareness of what is going on right now in gaming.  Even gaming journalists seem oblivious to what has happened in the last few years.

Despite what some would have you believe there ARE definitely different groups of gamers now at large (call it core and casual if you like - the title matters not).  The target audience for this initial launch of kinect is NOT your Halo, MW2, Bioshock, GT5 or FFXIII audience.  It is the Wii fit, Wii sports, Wii party perhaps even Mario Kart audience.  Review sites like this cannot help such a launch and can only harm it.  MS know this. We all know this... or at least we should know this.

MS are being smart, the best reactions for this will be from the mainstream media and from word of mouth.  The traditional gaming press will likely be very elitist about it and probably a tad negative.    

Thats my take anyway.

I agree, how can people be so ignorant?

There's no ignorance in believing a business shouldn't try and manipulate its press to be favourable. Kow's point is very weak IMHO.  It's like saying only let someone who likes cheesy horror films review cheesy horror films, or someone who likes heavy metal review heavy metal.  In a sense that's the worstapproach as it's a simple self confirming closed circle.  The whole point of general reviews is to provide different views and allow you to guage stuff outside your knowledge.

Why shouldn't I, a seasoned gamer, get to read reviews by seasoned gamers of what they thought of Kinect titles?  That's useful for me and allows me to get a feel for how I might find the titles myself.

If the games are fun then they'll get decent scores.  Will some Wii and Move titles have been panned those that are good from a more traditional gamer aspect aren't, and I don't see why MS should behave in a way to try and exlude a section of their potential purchasing community.

There are a lot of general reviews in every medium, with games being no different, and Kinect title's shouldn't be ducking them, particularly if Nintendo and Sony titles aren't.  An even playing field is better for the consumer.  And we should, as the buying gamers, be arguing for what benefits us - clear and consistent reviews - vs what is better for the business.

I want to be able to read someone like Ebert's take on Transformers as much as his take on The Third Man, and the same applies in gaming.

Thats actually how it should be done.   Not necessarily that strict but you also shouldn't let someone who only likes romantic comedies review a horror film.

I've seen complaints on this forum more than once, from fans of all consoles, that a site got a reviewer who generally hates a specific genre review a game from that genre and give it a not so great review.  JRPGs are a classic example.  How many people have said "well, it's a JPRG, all the gaming media hate them and they get lower reviews than they deserve, so I only trust the reviews of people I know who actually like the genre in the first place"?  I've seen it more than once.

It would be awesome if every reviewer was neutral but that's simply not the case.

I saw one horrible preview of Kinect where the reviewer basically said "it sucked as much as I expected it to suck".  Which means he went in already having made up his mind that he wasn't going to like it.    He was from a site that isn't exactly small yet the guy had the words "fanboy" written all over him.

Exacticalalaly :3

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.